Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Church pays millions to victims of sexual abuse by priests

http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-07-15-voa6.cfm

I actually had quite a nice laugh over this.

The irony.....

Actually, i'd say nice that the church has decided to share some of it's money and shows responsibility for it's representatives' actions......And yet, this must ruin the church's image like SHIT.

500 victims in some 50 years.
The devil has been at work.........................................
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Tha Duckman

They say that said Devil makes work for idle hands.

I say give each priest an X Box.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Methadrine

In God we thrust...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
bleedingheart344

Meth, that was hilarious. May I have exclusive rights to it and put it in my sig?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
Meth, that was hilarious. May I have exclusive rights to it and put it in my sig?
Go ahead, by all means.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Velvet_Mansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
In God we thrust...
Ah, great! I think I just about fell out of my chair with laughter when I saw that.

Anyway, I'd say the fact they're paying settlements to the victims is good news...although a bit late, perhaps...
Velvet_Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Haex

Fuck, I was molested by a CPCA priest and get nothing... Damn you excommunicated communist China!
Haex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
LiUsAiDh

Wouldn't it be better to spend their money on preventing more priests from being molesters than giving it to victims, like Velvet_Mansfield said, it's a bit late...

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
Don't Look Behind You

How can money help prevent sexualy frustrated priests from being molesters?
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
Haex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Look Behind You
How can money help prevent sexualy frustrated priests from being molesters?

660mil could pay for a lot of whores.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
Lapin

Castration? I hear that costs money...
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Don't Look Behind You

oh, well in that case....
Burning down every single church might also cost some money I guess.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #13
Lapin

Yeah, one can of lighter fluid runs for $5 here in the States. Imagine how much you have to buy to give a building as big as a church that much of a head start......then imagine how many churches there are...we're looking at a serious community service tax write-off here.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #14
Don't Look Behind You

YES INDEED. I think I'll write to the Pope about our great new proposal of how to show our love to God.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
Beneath the Shadows

They just realized that molesting alter boys is bad? I don't see how giving them money helps, though. Unless it's for a psychiatrist. Still, though, turn the priests who committed the crimes in to the police would be a bigger help. That would prevent them from victimizing anyone else, and seeing that someone who did something like that got sent to jail often helps the victims feel a bit better.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
DeathChii

Jesus loves all his children...

http://*********************.com/ima...usIsComing.jpg
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
Beneath the Shadows

Ha ha. Jesus loves youth.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
Haex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChii

*stares blankly* ...he's fucking the hole in his hand...?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #19
CptSternn

All religions have ********** within their ranks, much like all religions have thieves, murders, and a percentage that engage in other such activities.

Now, I am by no means defending the immoral and illegal actions taken by the persons involved in these cases, merely pointing out there is a reason so many priests in America have been involved in such activity.

Back before 1970 homosecuality was viewed in such a manner that it was damaging to a whole family if someone thought your son or some other family member was gay. Like being communist during the McCarthy era, or being black during the Civil War, being gay in America during the early half of the 1900's was a life sentence to abuse, discrimination, and guaranteed way to make sure your immediate family suffered with you as well.

Many families in America when confronted with the possibility that their son may be gay was to quickly enroll them in a strict Catholic school, and later if they still had 'tendencies' was to force them into the priesthood.

You son a little too caring? A little too emotional? Not playing sports? Doesn't have an attraction to girls? Well, thats enough to scare most parents during this time period to force their kid into the ranks of the church to hide their true identity, else it could destroy their family, social stature, and ruin their name in the community.

Being gay during this era was hard, as I said previously, comparative to the communist witc hhunts or even those who supported equal rights for blacks prior to the 1960s, to engage in such behaviour would be tantamount as to today doing something like having your son join the Taliban.

So by forcing them into priesthood the parents could make a valid excuse of why their son didn't date, play sports, and was emotional, basically anything viewed as non-masculent could be attributed to the fact he was a pious person in training.

This worked brilliantly for the families with gay sons, however, it took confused children, told them their beliefs were wrong, and forced them in very impressionable times into the proverbial closet. Without any outlet for their truth beliefs, ideas, and feelings, some of these people found unhealthy ways to explore these things that have been forceably bottled inside by their families, society, and the church.

Once again, not defending them, just pointing out that there is a reason to why this is happening in such numbers in America - and based as much on societies actions as it is on the persons who engaged in the activities.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #20
Don't Look Behind You

It is clear that there must be a severe frustration behind this phenomenon. Priests are also human and their rank denying them all sexual activity can turn them into quite frustrated humans unless they have the necessary level of belief and ideology. If they never wanted to be a priest in the first place, then it is clear that they don't have the ideology to pull the thing through.
It is in no way surprising...if you forbid something that is part of human nature, expect it to backfire somehow.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #21
biohazard

Damn this is very nasty. I could never imagine priests could sexually molest children, such hipocrites. They should also expel those priests from the church.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #22
Don't Look Behind You

They probably did.....
that doesn't change the fact that the victims might be traumatized.........and have lost all belief in God

Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 AM   #23
bleedingheart344

Very true, events like this would really scar someone. Money isn't going to change the damage they did to them.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
thedoll

You all keep saying how money wont help, money wont change it, but then what would?

People are more driven by money and in turn comforted by large sums. Sure it isn't fair or morally right that they were all allowed to buy their way into forgiveness, but the money did have to be accepted. Does expelling them from the church really help? No. Nothing can really help, its just a good way to shut people up.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:50 PM   #25
bleedingheart344

That's just it, nothing would help. I guess maybe years and years of therapy, but who wants that? They scarred these kids and, hell, people are indeed greedy, but these kids aren't.