Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #26
CLV

Re first post.

Three little words

Crock of Shit.

Jesus lord and saviour...my ass.
CLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #27
GothGarl

Hey!!! No need to be disrespectful.
GothGarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #28
Shyantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLV
Re first post.

Three little words

Crock of Shit.

Jesus lord and saviour...my ass.
Just because it isn't your religion, doesn't mean that you can highly dis it for those who have it as theres.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #29
CptSternn

The whole Christians against drugs thing is kinda funny. I say this because depending on where you live, this changes. In Holland, where marijuana is legal and they have a huge industry involve shoppes, bars, etc. - do you think churches there give it the same criticism they do in say churches in Alabama?

Same goes for other parts of the world where various substances are legal and/or regulated by the state.

As far as what the Bible actually says on the subject - it has nothing directly involving mind alterting substances, however, a passage (don't have the book/line number but will find it) dealing with alcohol consumption can be, in my opinion, used as a safe measure for other such substances.

It states that alcohol is alright, in moderation. As long as you do not let it run your life or put it ahead of meaningful life goals, its use is acceptable. I think that this would be the general view on other substances as well.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #30
Kraven de Sade

Isaiah 65:8 "Thus saith the Lord, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it; so will I do for my servant's sake"

Wine in a cluster? Hmm... The smokable parts of marijuana are indentified as growing in clusters... Jesus was a hippy!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #31
CLV

Why?..why can't I diss it?
If you think that say...errrr The Simpsons is good and I want to post my opinion and say well..no actually i think it is shit, why cant I say so?
Because this will offend those who like The Simpsons?
You cant go through life like that.
It's a free world and i can say what i like.
Religion is at the root of all the troubles in the world in my opinion.
If you don't like what i say, skim over it.
I'm offended by people who quote the bible.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #32
DarkHeartedDemoness

There's a difference between posting your opinion and being a self-righteous, deliberately inflammatory, dick. There's also a difference between liking a TV show and believing in a higher power.

Don't be a twat.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #33
Kaz

Huh? Is this person a regular?

I practise Witchcraft, so I guess I shall be burning in hell too...but...I am glad that you have found Christianity which makes you happy.

Bright Blessings to you orionedarnell.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #34
DarkHeartedDemoness

Orionedarnell is only a regular insomuch as he posts here regularly to preach his copy-and-pasted unoriginal pamphlet-esque religious theories at us.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 04-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #35
killer_asian_Dax

CLV- stop being a douche! I'm just as offended as you are about people who feel the need to preach to the "non-believers," but that doesn't give me free license to be an ass.

orionedarnell- I'm glad you've found something that you feel gives meaning and purpose to your life. However- you coming here and spouting Revelations and Psalms isn't going to do you well. Especially on this site. It would be within your best interest to either stop and learn to get along or just leave the site all together.

That is all.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #36
Godslayer Jillian

Actually I agree with CLV.
Religion has been placed in a pedestal where none should dare touch it.
You could bitch just about everything; the best example is the lack of patriotism in America.
And yet, one would never dare speak in the same language as one speaks about the government, when the subject is a certain religion.
I do not agree with CLV's vocabulary, but only in that I don't like it under any conditions (except when it sounds funny), but in principles, I back him up.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #37
Shyantra

Well so do I, but I don't make it a habit to criticize people for believing what they believe; I get enough of that from other people about my religion.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #38
CLV

HEY!..now who is being offensive?..calling me a twat.
Actually I don't mind...'twat' is a very funny word.

And for the record, i didn't criticize anyone for what they believe in, I just put my opinion forward that i thought it was a crock...I didn't call them a twat or anything.

Each to their own.

And Godslayer, I'm a 'she'

I'd just like to add, that I love you all.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #39
MollyMac

There should be no disrespect in regards to anyone's beliefs. Just because we may not all agree does not mean that we cannot have a mutual respect. I respect Orion's cut and paste beliefs, but think that he, himself, is a twat (still love that word) doing his faith and fellow Christians no favors.

Jesus was a fan of discussion, not of preaching. What would Jesus do?

Jesus would listen.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #40
CLV

Mutual respect is very over-rated.

Jesus wouldn't listen to orion, he'd get really bored with his blathering on then probably disintegrate him with his laser beam eyes...no wait...that was superman...sorry.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #41
DarkHeartedDemoness

Jesus wouldn't listen to orion... But he wouldn't listen to orion based on the fact that orion's a blithering twat.

I just don't think it's necessary to respect a person to respect their religion. I don't like orion, I don't respect him. But I wouldn't dislike him solely based on his religion, particularly when there are other people representing his religion that do deserve my respect. And if I expect people to respect my religious choices, if not me personally, I feel like I should do the same for them.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 04-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #42
Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLV
Mutual respect is very over-rated.

Jesus wouldn't listen to orion, he'd get really bored with his blathering on then probably disintegrate him with his laser beam eyes...no wait...that was superman...sorry.
HEY! You can't do that, you can state your opinion, you can blame christianity or organised religion for the troubles on earth, god knows everyone else does, and thinks it's a good idea. But you can NOT, speak down about the religion, or make fun of my lord, it's disrespectful, and its wrong.

"Red velvet lines the black box."
~Peter Murphy

*Holding a gun to Robert Smiths Head.*
Smith: DON'T KILL ME!!!
Me: STOP EATING!!!
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #43
Dancing_in_rain

CLV, please do not insult other people's religion and beliefs. I go to church on Sundays, was confirmed last year and am still puzzling over the whole there-is-a-God-watching-over-us thing. I'm not always sure about it, and there are times when I downright hate God and the notion of Him but that doesn't mean that I go around insulting others and their beliefs. As for you Orion, you sound like a really annoying Jehovah's Witness. Instead of simply copy pasting, (and really badly at that) maybe, just maybe, you should write a proper introductory post and explain why you believe in God and why you are spreading the good word. Amen.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #44
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
But you can NOT, speak down about the religion... it's disrespectful, and its wrong.
Why? We all feel free to speak down about political beliefs, musical preferences, etc., so long as it's about the thing itself and not a personal attack. Why should religion be any different?

Christianity's history vitiates any claim it might make to deserving respect. It has built itself on the broken bodies and shattered ruins of heathens and their belief systems. It co-opts holidays, knocks pagan temples over and builds cathedrals in their place, tears tribal deities from the clouds by associating them with Christian saints, and when it can't get its way by cajoling and manipulating people, fills mass graves with their bodies.

Now that in a particular portion of the world Christianity is ascendant, Christians are waving their arms around. "Okay! No more of that! From now on, it's illegal to say bad things about a religion!" It's funny how when the religion stopped being able to count on the state to help it stamp out crimethink, it suddenly changed its tune.

Meanwhile we have characters like this Orion running around embarassing all the civil Christians. How? By behaving in a fashion which is exactly consistent with an actual strong belief in what's written in the Bible.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #45
mrs.wes straker

Yes, it is embarrassing and I think I speak for more than just myself when I pull my hair, grit my teeth and say ENOUGH WITH THE CHRISTIANITY THREADS ALREADY! My gosh. First of all, goth does not equal Satanist. Why are you posting these messages here, Orion, or whoever you are? People who are Christians don't need it, and those who don't want to hear it get offended. SO JUST STOP. STAY ON TOPIC. And DON'T BE AN IGNORANT CHRISTIAN. Christians are already ridiculed enough.

Sorry. I have to have at least one outburst per day.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #46
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Another pigeon attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLV
HEY!..now who is being offensive?..calling me a twat.
Actually I don't mind...'twat' is a very funny word.
What sound does a helicopter make?
twat twat twat twat twat twat twat...

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #47
mrs.wes straker

Am I wrong for wondering whether these inappropriately outgoing types even have any faith? There's a guy at my job who's an Atheist, and he talks about his beliefs and tries to convert people whenever he sees the slightest chance. I can't help but question if these types of people are trying to convince others or themselves. By the way, Humane, and this is directed at you b/c I think you might appreciate it, did you hear the Collins interview on NPR in late March? Dawkins was also on the day before he was.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #48
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.wes straker
Am I wrong for wondering whether these inappropriately outgoing types even have any faith? There's a guy at my job who's an Atheist, and he talks about his beliefs and tries to convert people whenever he sees the slightest chance. I can't help but question if these types of people are trying to convince others or themselves. By the way, Humane, and this is directed at you b/c I think you might appreciate it, did you hear the Collins interview on NPR in late March? Dawkins was also on the day before he was.
No I didn't catch it, though I listen to NPR every morning on the way to work.
What was said?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #49
Vyvian Blackthorne

Wow.....This person even got it's own thread...and by 'it' I mean TROLL.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #50
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
No I didn't catch it, though I listen to NPR every morning on the way to work.
What was said?
To be perfectly honest I haven't gotten around to listening to Dawkins' interview yet. I heard Collins' interview today on the Fresh Air website and it was basically an interview in which he discussed how he came to his faith, why he's still in it, and his (almost 10 year) project on genetics. It also touched very briefly on stem cell research and partial cloning, which has opened my eyes a bit and began a break down in a prejudice that existed in me. It was very interesting. I don't want to go into it to much because I've only heard it once and I don't want to misquote any of it, nor do I want to spoil it. It can be heard online or as a podcast, if you have the time.