Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #26
skoteinh

Yes, that feeling, for a split second, that you are falling from a great hight. And then you wake up right before you hit the ground, startled.

Nothing to do with dreaming of flying.

It's scary.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:02 AM   #27
drgnlvr

Here's a pretty good explaination of the phenomenon:

Fixed link, and the hypnic jerk

I notice I tend to do that alot if I've over-caffinated too close to bed time, or if I'm stressed out for one reason or another. Unfortunately, because I understand the phenomenon, I no longer have the "falling" dreams.

While uncomfortable, and startling, it was at least better than snapping awake, and bitching because I made the mistake of drinking coffee two hours before I went to bed. :P

Kinda takes all the "magic" out of it, you know?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #28
WolfMoon

Um, Draggy? Eye rolling is not a good explanation.

:roll:

:P
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 01:13 PM   #29
drgnlvr

D'OH!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 AM   #30
skoteinh

Thank you Draggy!

Hmm... so this means... I'm a jerk? :P

P.S. Yeah! This is my 500th post!

Old 05-31-2005, 05:27 AM   #31
illuminatti

It's strange, but i have never had a "falling" dream. I've had the wierdest things in my dreams, but never falling. I sometimes actually wish i did,because everyone i know has these dreams all the time. The only repeated dream-setting i had was the incapability of jumping over a crack in the ground and how everyone else could do it easily but i just couldn't. That has repeated hundreds of times in all possible places. Has anyone else had that?
illuminatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:05 PM   #32
OnixxFilth

I have falling dreams a lot, especially dreams of falling down stairs. This may explain why, when my mom asks my brother and I to move something downstairs, I force him to go backwards. Even going forwards I yelp and/or whine if I feel myself start to slip the least little bit and demand that we stop for a second or go faster to get it over with. The most common theme in my dreams seems to be flying. I'm usually flying through the air, either gliding or flapping my arms like a bird. I've heard that flying dreams have a sexual connotation. Has anyone else heard that?
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #33
drgnlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I have falling dreams a lot, especially dreams of falling down stairs. This may explain why, when my mom asks my brother and I to move something downstairs, I force him to go backwards. Even going forwards I yelp and/or whine if I feel myself start to slip the least little bit and demand that we stop for a second or go faster to get it over with. The most common theme in my dreams seems to be flying. I'm usually flying through the air, either gliding or flapping my arms like a bird. I've heard that flying dreams have a sexual connotation. Has anyone else heard that?
I've heard alot of things about it, and frankly, it all depends on what's going on in your life, as to what it actually means to you.

I've had flying dreams, myself. Most often, they occur when there is about to be a major change in my life that's a little scary, or if I'm feeling trapped for some reason. And the emotions felt while dreaming of flying are the indicator.

If the dream of me flying is a sense of desperation, and a -need- to fly, it's because I feel trapped in some aspect of my life that I'm not happy with. If the feeling is fear with exilaration (kinda like being on a roller-coaster, going down that first steep drop), it's because a major life-change is coming.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:46 AM   #34
illuminatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I've heard that flying dreams have a sexual connotation. Has anyone else heard that?
Actually, if you search through dream interpreters you will find that almost anything is connected with sex. I find that pretty ridiculous, so my advice is, don't pay attention to it. I think that no one can interpret a dream for someone else. Because dreams are for every single person to figure out independantly. If there is a message, then it is sent to you and only you can know what it may be. On the example of flying dreams : for some people it symbolizes the NEED to fly AWAY/OUT, for other simply happyness, love etc. Depends on the situation.
I personaly have, by the way, never had a flying dream at all and am beginning to wonder about it.
My wierd night-mare dreams continue and i have already given up any interpretation and try to simply cope with dread of every on comming night.

And as for interpretaion on general, i think one has to pay attention to the emotions experienced during the dreams.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #35
OnixxFilth

Most often, my flying dreams are pleasant and exhilirating, although I have had a few "flying to escape" dreams where something was chasing me.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #36
WolfMoon

I had a weird dream last night. I was hanging out with Disfunction and he was showing this wannabe goth/emo singer how to sing, then I started calling him "Pink Suit Man"!

WTF???

:shock:
Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #37
OnixxFilth

Reminds me of the dream I once had that I was making out with Marilyn Manson and a friend of mine was sitting in a chair across from the one Marilyn and I were sitting in and she was just staring right through us.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #38
creepylittleshit

I used to have the "falling dreams" all the time when I was younger. I would be walking down a hallway and suddenly fall down a dark hole in the middle of the it. Then I would sit straight up in my bed in a pool of sweat.

As I got older I started to have dreams of being chased by zombies. Those really scared the crap out of me.

Now all I do in my dreams is run around in the forest. The colors are always very vivid and most of I am following a stream. Sometimes I am covered in mud without out a care in the world at how dirty I am.
creepylittleshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #39
OnixxFilth

It seems like lately I've been having a lot of dreams that my boyfriend and I are fighting, but in real life we're actually doing quite well. I always wake up covered in a cold sweat and terrified out of my mind after one of those dreams.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #40
illuminatti

the most normal dream i've had lately was this: the whole night i saw the same mistake that i made that day (i prefere not to say what it was...) repeated over and over and over and over again until i began to feel that this is what hell must be like.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #41
OnixxFilth

I had some dream last night that involved my boyfriend and I, but I don't think it was a fighting dream. All I know is that I woke up covered in sweat, so it must have been scary in some way.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #42
Deadhymn

how profound.
Deadhymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #43
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhymn
how profound.
I'd rather have this bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!
Old 06-11-2005, 06:27 PM   #44
creepylittleshit

I had a really wierd dream last night. Well I guess it was this afternoon because I work third shift. OK here it is:

I was sitting inside a house I did not reconize. I was just staring off into space, doing nothing at all.

Then I heard a car honking. I went outside to see what all the noise was about. The air outside had a blue tint to it.

Turns out my best friend was outside in her car (in real life she doesn't even know how to drive) waiting for me to come out.

Now for the wierd part: She had grown a penis!!! I'm not even going to get into what we did in her car :wink: !
creepylittleshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:18 AM   #45
edible_eye

last night - i dreamed a clone or replicate of myself had been fused to the top of my head and our brains had been fused as well - we were lying in a straight line - our feet extending away from our fused heads. the clone was sleeping, i was sleeping and the dreams we shared jumped back and forth between our minds in a never ending repetition of events. it ended when the dreams of the clone abruptly disappeared and i opened my eyes to find it (me) on top of myself, hands curled into claws, mouth in a snarl and the vacant stare of its eyes on my own. i stared into my own eyes and it was like staring into death, which was kinda freaky. the top of its head was open and its brain was just starting to slide from the cracked cavity of its skull.

that's what woke me up in a puddle of sweat, so good morning to ya'all.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #46
OnixxFilth

Wow, e_e, sounds like a scary dream! I don't think I've had that scary of a dream since the one about being trapped in my old high school with something that was trying to kill me! :shock:
Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #47
OnixxFilth

I just had a disturbing dream last night that my mom found or saw the condoms I keep in my purse and called me a slut/basically disowned me. She's gotten really religious over the past year and probably WILL disown me once I move in with my boyfriend in about a year!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #48
NyQuil of Doom

This was a couple years ago, but it has to be one of the strangest dreams I've ever had...

I dreamed that I was going to this antique mall that my parents run, because I was going to go on the computer in the office and check my e-mail. When I get there I discover that my e-mail isn't on the computer, but rather is in these little brown envelopes that are overflowing one of the dealers' rooms. So I had to help the dealer move her stuff into this room in an old elementary school I helped out at one time, because she couldn't use her booth in the mall any more because of all my e-mail. While I was helping her, I had to take this thing out of the window (it was part of the top of the window treatment) because I needed to use it to save my mother from the Tooth Fairy.

I have a whole bunch more odd dreams if you're interested. I don't mind sharing. I have some of the most interesting dreams of anyone I know, although I don't remember half of the really strange ones-- the ones that are really too abstract to make much sense, where all I remember are bits and pieces (like one that had something to do with being in a school and doing math by floating balloons with numbers on them to the ceiling, and part of the school being haunted).

I love having weird dreams. I look forward to going to bed at night because of my dreams.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #49
Kali Maxwell

I used to be terrified of zombie movies, even though I am now a fan, but I had a recurring dream for a long time that involved zombies. It started when I was about 10.

I was in a mall with my mother. It was night, just after sunset, and we were considering going home after getting something to eat.

We were just entering the food court when we heard people start screaming. A crowd of shoppers ran around the corner, running past us. We just stood stunned, wondering what the hell was going on. The first couple zombies we saw managed to grab the guy at the very tail end of the human stampede. They pulled him to the ground and starting tearing him apart.

My mom and I ran, as did the rest of the people in the food court.

For some reason zombies were everywhere. Hands were emerging from the lowered steel curtains that covered the entrances of closed stores. They were entering all the doors, and somehow had even gotten upstairs already.

I got separated from my mom in the crush and kept running on my own. Some guy grabbed my hand because I was starting to lag behind, and told me not to wander away from him, no matter what.

The lights went out, and I could here screaming, chewing, and disgusting ripping and splattering noises all around, echoing off all the tile surfaces. The only light was from the moon through the skylights.

The guy I was with led me to a hallway where all the bathrooms and the janitor's closet was. He told me to go into the closet and hide, he was going to check on something. He left, but I didn't want to go into the closet; the door didn't look strong enough. I went into the bathroom instead. It was pitch black inside, and I navigated my way over the sink by touch. I thought I was safe, but I thought I heard something moving in one of the stalls. I suddenly realized there was no other exit besides the door, and that swung inward; if they came in, I'd be cornered.

So I left the bathroom. I could still hear screaming, but it sounded far away. I heard footsteps and a man's silhouette appeared. I thought it was the guy who'd helped me, so I ran out to greet him. It was a zombie instead. I came to a screeching halt about a half foot away. I didn't run; I just stared up at it in horror. Its hands came down on my shoulders, and it looked down at me, cocking its head to the side. Its eyes were glazed white.

I always woke up after that part. I didn't stop having this dream until I was 16.
Kali Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #50
hunnybeeq8

I can never remember my dreams!!! they're always too silly to be remembered! or too freaky that I stop thinkin 'bout them until they're forgotten!!! but i remember all my day dreams XD
hunnybeeq8 is offline   Reply With Quote