Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
CptSternn

Arizona's Next Immigration Target: Children of Illegals

http://tinyurl.com/2fw8yfr

Quote:
"Anchor babies" isn't a very endearing term, but in Arizona those are the words being used to tag children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrants. While not new, the term is increasingly part of the local vernacular because the primary authors of the nation's toughest and most controversial immigration law are targeting these tots - the legal weights that anchor many undocumented aliens in the U.S. - for their next move.

Buoyed by recent public opinion polls suggesting they're on the right track with illegal immigration, Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona - and thus American citizens according to the U.S. Constitution - to parents who are not legal U.S. citizens. The law largely is the brainchild of state Sen. Russell Pearce, a Republican whose suburban district, Mesa, is considered the conservative bastion of the Phoenix political scene. He is a leading architect of the Arizona law that sparked outrage throughout the country: Senate Bill 1070, which allows law enforcement officers to ask about someone's immigration status during a traffic stop, detainment or arrest if reasonable suspicion exists - things like poor English skills, acting nervous or avoiding eye contact during a traffic stop. (See the battle for Arizona: will a border crackdown work?)

But the likely new bill is for the kids. While SB 1070 essentially requires of-age migrants to have the proper citizenship paperwork, the potential "anchor baby" bill blocks the next generation from ever being able to obtain it. The idea is to make the citizenship process so difficult that illegal immigrants pull up the "anchor" and leave. (See pictures of the Great Wall of America.)

The question is whether that would violate the U.S. Constitution. The 14th Amendment states that "all persons, born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States." It was intended to provide citizenship for freed slaves and served as a final answer to the Dred Scott case, cementing the federal government's control over citizenship.

But that was 1868. Today, Pearce says the 14th Amendment has been "hijacked" by illegal immigrants. "They use it as a wedge," Pearce says. "This is an orchestrated effort by them to come here and have children to gain access to the great welfare state we've created." Pearce says he is aware of the constitutional issues involved with the bill and vows to introduce it nevertheless. "We will write it right." He and other Republicans in the red state Arizona point to popular sympathy: 58% of Americans polled by Rasmussen think illegal immigrants whose children are born here should not receive citizenship; support for that stance is 76% among Republicans.

Those who oppose the bill say it would lead to more discrimination and divide the community. Among them is Phoenix resident Susan Vie, who is leading a citizen group that's behind an opposing ballot initiative. She moved to the U.S. 30 years ago from Argentina, became a naturalized citizen and now works as a client-relations representative for a vaccine company. "I see a lot of hate and racism behind it," Vie says. "Consequently, I believe it will create - and it's creating it now - a separation in our society." She adds, "When people look at me, they will think, 'Is she legal or illegal?' I can already feel it right now." Vie's citizen initiative would prohibit SB 1070 from taking affect, place a three-year moratorium on all related laws - including the anchor baby bill - to buy more time for federal immigration reform. Her group is racing to collect 153,365 signatures by July 1 to qualify for the Nov. 2 general election.

Both sides expect the anchor baby bill to end up before the U.S. Supreme Court before it is enacted. "I think it would be struck down as facially unconstitutional. I can't imagine a federal judge saying this would be OK," says Dan Barr, a longtime Phoenix lawyer and constitutional litigator. Potentially joining the anchor baby bill at the Supreme Court may be SB 1070, which Arizona Republican Governor Jan Brewer signed into law in April. It is set to take effect July 29, but at least five courtroom challenges have been filed against it. Pearce says he will win them all.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:30 AM   #2
CptSternn

This again smacks of racism. To insinuate people come to America to have babies is ludicrous. There are other immigrants in America from countries other than Mexico. The arguments put forward directly attack Mexicans. No one from the UK who is living in America is looking to 'cash in' on the 'welfare state' as the UK has a much more robust welfare system, like Ireland. The same can be said throughout Europe.

It is a direct attack on non-white immigrants from poor countries. It seems nothing short of outright racism. I mean, if they even bothered to mention how it would effect other countries or immigrants, then at least you could say they attempted to appear impartial, but even the language in the bill is so bias that no attempts to appear balanced even exist.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
This again smacks of racism. To insinuate people come to America to have babies is ludicrous. There are other immigrants in America from countries other than Mexico. The arguments put forward directly attack Mexicans. No one from the UK who is living in America is looking to 'cash in' on the 'welfare state' as the UK has a much more robust welfare system, like Ireland. The same can be said throughout Europe.

It is a direct attack on non-white immigrants from poor countries. It seems nothing short of outright racism. I mean, if they even bothered to mention how it would effect other countries or immigrants, then at least you could say they attempted to appear impartial, but even the language in the bill is so bias that no attempts to appear balanced even exist.
Would you rather the kids be kept in the U.S. while the parents are deported to the country of origin that they are still LEGAL Residents of?

Wouldn't that break up a Family?

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
Would you rather the kids be kept in the U.S. while the parents are deported to the country of origin that they are still LEGAL Residents of?
I would. The children are innocent, so there's no reason they should be punished. But at the same time it's a terrible thing that people would use their children as such a tool for their own gain. I wonder how many illegal immigrants have children solely for this purpose.

If Arizona wants to create a new law to prevent anchor babies, they should not deny the children birth certificates but rather take the children away immediately after birth. That will put some strain on the Arizona adoption/foster care system for a while, but before long illegal immigrants will get the idea not to have children in Arizona. If other states follow suit, then many illegal immigrants will (at least try to) return to their country of origin, or decide not to have a child in the first place.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
CptSternn

Because taking children away from their parents is much less of a punishment, eh?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Beneath the Shadows

Well, let's see... if not taken away, the child will;

A. Most likely live in shitty conditions which will be provided solely through American welfare and/or other social programs, or, if lucky, through one or both of the parents' shitty under-the-table job. Such children will grow up in ghettos. Or;

B. If the above law is passed, will be relocated along with their illegal immigrant parents back to their country of origin (since we're talking about Arizona, that means, for the most part, Mexico) where they will live in even worse conditions than situation A, or their parents will try to return to the United States, still resulting in conditions worse than situation A. Or;

C. Such a law as I proposed would result in the infant children being placed in, for the most part, better homes in better locations, with better food, medical, dental, and educational resources available.

So to answer your question... Yes, being taken away from parents that want the child to use as a legal loop-hole (or worse, they didn't want the child to begin with) is much less of a punishment.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
LenorePoe

I agree with the new immigration laws being passed. I live in AZ and its becoming a huge problem. The main reason they have so many children though is because many of them are Catholic and don't believe in birth control. Its getting ridiculous how many are coming across illegally, then overcrowding AZ.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post

Wouldn't that break up a Family?
A coworker of mine who is actually an illegal immigrant (long ass story) mentioned this, and said if she were to be deported she'd want her kids to come with her. She mentioned this same point; where will the kids go? She said she'd rather they stay with their parents.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post

The UK is a first world country. People from the UK have no big reason to try and flee it. Look however at the conditions in Mexico. Rather than fix their own country and problems they're just jumping ship and going to where the grass is greener.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
I would. The children are innocent, so there's no reason they should be punished. But at the same time it's a terrible thing that people would use their children as such a tool for their own gain. I wonder how many illegal immigrants have children solely for this purpose.

If Arizona wants to create a new law to prevent anchor babies, they should not deny the children birth certificates but rather take the children away immediately after birth. That will put some strain on the Arizona adoption/foster care system for a while, but before long illegal immigrants will get the idea not to have children in Arizona. If other states follow suit, then many illegal immigrants will (at least try to) return to their country of origin, or decide not to have a child in the first place.
I was in the foster system in California, and it is terribly overcrowded with illegal immigrant children and the children of illegals. What usually happens is they get caught as they cross the border, are ripped from their parents and thrown in the foster system. ): The ones who were born here become foster kids when their parents are deported.
I will tell you, the foster system is NOT fun. Yes, in general they take good care of you, depending on where you go, but it is NO substitute for a real family.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #11
Shadowagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenorePoe View Post
I agree with the new immigration laws being passed. I live in AZ and its becoming a huge problem. The main reason they have so many children though is because many of them are Catholic and don't believe in birth control. Its getting ridiculous how many are coming across illegally, then overcrowding AZ.
Nice to meet a fellow Arizonan. People don't understand unless they live here and see the real situation on the ground every day. It's very bad down here with the number of illegals either sneaking across themselves or paying coyotes to get them across and even forge documents for them. It's not the fact that there are illegals here, it's the fact that there are soooo many with more to come. As for anchor babies, they should be deported along with the parents. I know it sounds cruel, but it would be even worse to separate the children from their parents by keeping them here and sending the parents back. No, the parents shouldn't get a free pass to stay here just because they had a kid here when they were not citizens to begin with. They most likely have more of a family structure back in their home country, too. I like how it is presented as attacking the children of illegals while overlooking the fact that so many illegals are having anchor babies in an effort subvert immigration laws to begin with. All I want is for the borders of my country to be respected. Is that too much to ask?
Shadowagony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Shadowagony

Quote:
A coworker of mine who is actually an illegal immigrant (long ass story) mentioned this, and said if she were to be deported she'd want her kids to come with her. She mentioned this same point; where will the kids go? She said she'd rather they stay with their parents.
I think that most sane people would want to keep their kids with them or send them to live with extended family until their own situation improves. Leaving one's kids in a foreign country is most likely a ploy to gain citizenship to that country unless they have family already in that foreign country, but then, they could just ask that family member to help them become a citizen themselves or enter some type of sponsorship program or something. I don't think that many people would willingly leave their child in a foreign country unless there was something to gain for them by doing so, and it had better damn well be something of great value. Many Africans do this, but most of them do it LEGALLY and to get their children out of a raging war zone, and there is refugee status, as well. Perhaps if Mexico is that bad, then people can seek refugee status instead of just jumping the border and living here, particularly in AZ, as fugitives.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
Shadowagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows View Post
But at the same time it's a terrible thing that people would use their children as such a tool for their own gain. I wonder how many illegal immigrants have children solely for this purpose.
Agreed, and there are many people who are citizens of this country and they have babies just to get child support or other types of welfare. It is a sad situtation, indeed.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #14
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
I was in the foster system in California, and it is terribly overcrowded with illegal immigrant children and the children of illegals. What usually happens is they get caught as they cross the border, are ripped from their parents and thrown in the foster system.
If they're brought here by their parents, they should either be sent back with their parents, or be placed with family (whether that means back in their country of origin or with legal residents here in the US, I don't care. Like I've already said, children shouldn't be punished. I also agree that families should remain together. I would not be opposed to children being given green cards, as they normally don't have a choice when it comes to crossing the border.).

Quote:
The ones who were born here become foster kids when their parents are deported.
And I hope that if this happens enough, illegals will simply stop trying to have kids in the US, because it won't gain them anything at all.

Quote:
I will tell you, the foster system is NOT fun.
I know. I was a foster kid.

Quote:
Yes, in general they take good care of you, depending on where you go, but it is NO substitute for a real family.
Agreed. Family is (almost) always the best choice. Sadly, it doesn't always work that way.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
Jonathan

Are there hardcore efforts to streamline the naturalization process, to offer a legitimate method of transitioning these people into legal citizens or at least residents?

Or does their citizenship status really not matter, and it is a race thing?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Are there hardcore efforts to streamline the naturalization process, to offer a legitimate method of transitioning these people into legal citizens or at least residents?
One thing's for sure, in Arizona there's a hardcore effort to do something. I wouldn't call it streamlining, though.

Quote:
Or does their citizenship status really not matter, and it is a race thing?
I doubt it's a race thing, as "illegal immigrant" is not a race.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
Hearts_Purple

This whole thing smacks of 'racism' to me. Fuckin' Arizona, obviously land of the Supremacists.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts_Purple View Post
This whole thing smacks of 'racism' to me. Fuckin' Arizona, obviously land of the Supremacists.
why, because AZ is actually enforcing the LAW? You can't act terribly surprised when you get busted for breaking the law.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Hearts_Purple

How are they gonna enforce it? Unless they check the papers of every single person who ever gets pulled over there's going to be a lot of racial profiling.

I know for a fact that there are people all over the world(From Canada to New Zealand) in the US illegally. Are the white people gonna have to live in fear of getting deported, too?
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
LenorePoe

lets look at this with common sense. You are mugged by a man. You remember him to have light skin and brown hair, so of course polic will be looking for men of that description.
Same thing. We're not exactly overrun with people from Sweden, Finland, etc. but from Mexico. Fun fact; most people from Mexico are hispanic.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Alan

Look at this with common sense: you're not being fucking mugged by a Mexican.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Look at this with common sense: you're not being fucking mugged by a Mexican.
might as well be the way they're mooching off the country, stealing jobs, filling our clinics, etc.
YOU BREAK THE LAW don't act all surprised and butthurt when you get busted.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
Alan

I dare you to find one peer reviewed research that proves illegal immigrants are a drain to the economy instead of a boost, you bigoted fuck.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #24
JCC

LenorePoe should die in a fire and have her ashes pissed on by dogs.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
LenorePoe should die in a fire and have her ashes pissed on by dogs.
mature argument.