Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Ravenworks9

Indie/Alt Music with Gothic Overtones

Hello my name is Erick Raven (yes my real name) and I am new to this site. I am a musician and artist. I recently released an EP called Melancholic Wonderland. You can hear the music on my website:

www.ravenworksproductions.com

I'm influenced by a wide variety of music so hopefully the music reflects that. Let me know what you think of it. I do all the music myself and I'm trying to get better at it. I value all (constructive) input so I can get better. Thanks!
Ravenworks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
Elystan

Needs drums
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Ravenworks9

Yeah I know, but I can't play drums. I did all the instruments myself, and couldn't afford to pay a drummer. When I get more money I'll try to have a full band. Right now it's totally DIY.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Elystan

It shows promise otherwise, a more polished production might be nice but that's no biggie. A bit ethereal for my taste but that might not be a bad thing for someone else. The tunes themselves aren't half bad. Didn't pay much attention to the lyrics. I'm no music critic though, all I can say is this doesn't totally suck so keep at it.

Also it just wouldn't be right unless I suggested a drum machine/synth drums.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Ravenworks9

Thanks for the honest comments, I really appreciate it. Honestly that song was the first of that kind that I wrote. Everything else I wrote before was simply acoustic guitar and voice. I like a lot of psychedelic 60's music, so that may explain the ethereal sound.
As for the drums/synth...maybe, if I knew how to program them. But I don't want it to sound too "mechanical".
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
The Passage

I like it! It's very psychedelic. I mean, not totally, but very similar. I hear a lot of folk in there and some obvious blues here and there. I like the tinges of soul and funk in Wonderland and All These Blues, which is a really awesome song -- your best, in my opinion. And the dark-ish atmosphere you have on some tracks is really cool too!

If that is you singing? You have a gift, my friend. Don't you hide that shit in a bushel basket now, ya hear? If you can mix that with a full band of other good musicians, you can add their collaborative musical input into your songs which can add a LOT of needed oomph. I mean, you have an awesome base sound! But do that and I think you can get somewhere really nice with your music.

Now, I'm not saying that you suck - far from it, actually - but remember John Fogerty? Yeah, well he sucks by himself. But put him together with the rest of CCR, though, and sex (a more elegant word for awesomeness) happens, among other things.

But anyway... that's just *my* opinion, as a listener. I've only dabbled with guitar and banjo, so my musical opinion probably means shite.

The Passage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Ravenworks9

Thanks for the constructive criticism! That actually helps a lot more than "you're good" or "you suck", so thanks. Yeah that's me singing. I definitely want a band, but I have kind of an ego and can be a bit of a control freak, so I think I'd have to hire musicians, but I'd give them freedom to create as long as it added to my idea. One day it'll happen!

I'm planning on recording new music next month, but I'm just getting ideas together in my head. I've been listening to a lot of Hendrix, Siouxie and the Banshees, and Brian Wilson lately so those influences will probably get into the music. Who knows...