Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #26
Draconysius

Put me in too. Any questions concerning the music and I've got the answer. MIR5 will vouch for me (He'll do other stuff for me too, but let's not get into that).
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #27
Pyre

I am avoiding all Mansonites and Hot Topic fans. My professor was into the goth scene back in her prime, so she really dislikes them as much as the rest of us. I actually got really pissed off when we were using goth as an example and someone said Marilyn Manson was a producer of goth. I sat quietly in contempt just shaking my head at how horribly mistaken they were.

I have to find out, first, how old my interviewees can be since it's a youth subcultures class. A guy I work with and his wife are very alternative, and it'd be cool to interview them, but they're also 30+.

It's too bad I am living in Athens now, Draconysius, because I believe Gadsden is only an hour or an hour and a half outside of my hometown. Also, weren't you ArcADragon on DA?

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #28
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Welcome back, good luck with your studying. Oingo Boingo are awesome haha.

Not Planet Terror?

Also, how do you do astro without maths?
Astronomy 1101 has little to no math involved.
You're not calculating anything. Just memorizing things
about planets, blue shift/red shift, laws, star/asteroid/ect/ect characteristics.
And so on.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
mindless1

Hey Pyre. What's up?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #30
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
Astronomy 1101 has little to no math involved.
You're not calculating anything. Just memorizing things
about planets, blue shift/red shift, laws, star/asteroid/ect/ect characteristics.
And so on.
Oh man. . . SO many really nerdy astronomy jokes came out of my ASTR class amongst friends. We'd joke about how we were blue/red shifting, and we'd joke about positrons and parallax (I had a parallax dance to remember it). It was horrible. (And when I say horrible, I mean fun and I miss it.) We used to also draw on each other's graffiti boards a lot on Facebook with whatever was going on in astronomy. I was so nerdy for that class.

Ex: You're such a brown dwarf.
(i.e. you're a failure)

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #31
JCC

I remember you from way back. I think I liked you, I don't really remember, my memory sucks.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #32
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I remember you from way back. I think I liked you, I don't really remember, my memory sucks.
Everyone liked me ;D

Even though that was a bad joke, I was pretty well-liked on this forum, which is why I left (I was getting bitchy and didn't want people to think less of me).

P.S. Yeah, you liked me. I was going through your intro post from way back when, hah. We had a very strange conversation about man flab and forklifts. Oh, and metal. Lots of metal.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #33
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
Oh man. . . SO many really nerdy astronomy jokes came out of my ASTR class amongst friends. We'd joke about how we were blue/red shifting, and we'd joke about positrons and parallax (I had a parallax dance to remember it). It was horrible. (And when I say horrible, I mean fun and I miss it.) We used to also draw on each other's graffiti boards a lot on Facebook with whatever was going on in astronomy. I was so nerdy for that class.

Ex: You're such a brown dwarf.
(i.e. you're a failure)
I lol'd @ the brown dwarf one. xP
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #34
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
MIR5 will vouch for me (He'll do other stuff for me too, but let's not get into that).
I'll vouch for Drac's inherent coolness should it be called into question. Altho, there was one time that I told him I thought the Scary Bitches were hot and he believed me...but it was like our 2nd chat so he didn't really know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
My professor was into the goth scene back in her prime, so she really dislikes them as much as the rest of us.
Who is she? Has she written anything? We had a guy a couple months ago asking for goth info because he was in Lauren Goodlad's literature course at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign....not too far from where I live actually. I used to visit Champaign on book buying hunts.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #35
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
Who is she? Has she written anything? We had a guy a couple months ago asking for goth info because he was in Lauren Goodlad's literature course at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign....not too far from where I live actually. I used to visit Champaign on book buying hunts.
As far as I know she's written nothing on the subject, so I won't disclose her name. I believe she did research on vegans for her doctorate (or for something), but not on goths. However, I recall her saying a friend of hers wrote something on them, so I should probably request his name.

I knew the name Lauren Goodlad was familiar, but couldn't figure out why. Then I googled her and realized I just picked up her book on goths from the library here yesterday :x whoops. But that is pretty cool to have a professor who has published something like that, especially if it's about your own subculture.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #36
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
Just memorizing things
And so on.
Ah right. Sounds like it has a little maths anyway. Astro and cosmology have both been pretty interesting, good luck.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote