Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #22751
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Maggot, you look dashed familiar. You ever been to Ottawa?
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #22752
TheBloodEternity

I feel like reading "The Hobbit".

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #22753
Saya

I've actually been meaning to reread it too myself. But I gotta get through Gandhi first.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #22754
TheBloodEternity

I haven't read it since I was 9. I don't even have a copy. D=

Old 11-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #22755
Saya

Oh noes! I got a really pretty version if it, its a big hardcover, the pages are so smooth and the paintings and drawings are so lovely...it even has a lovely smell to it ^_^ I can't believe my parents trusted me with a book like that when I was a kid, but I've kept it in pristine condition, except for the cover protector bit, little worn around the edges.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #22756
TheBloodEternity

Oh. Growing up I was too poor for stuff like that; everything I read was from the library. Not sure my parents would have trusted me with that anyways. xD

Old 11-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #22757
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
For the newbies who never knew Maggot, I flew back East and met him once:

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r222/bob-zox/Maggot/

He's awesome!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #22758
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Oh. Growing up I was too poor for stuff like that; everything I read was from the library.
Awww My parents were really proud of me in that I was really good at reading, so they spoiled me with books, that copy of The Hobbit was an Easter gift. Dad especially is a huge Tolkien geek, he pushed a lot of his books on me. I'd lend it to you if I could!

Speaking of Tolkien, ever read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil? I'm trying to find a copy but its impossible!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #22759
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Awww My parents were really proud of me in that I was really good at reading, so they spoiled me with books, that copy of The Hobbit was an Easter gift. Dad especially is a huge Tolkien geek, he pushed a lot of his books on me. I'd lend it to you if I could!

Speaking of Tolkien, ever read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil? I'm trying to find a copy but its impossible!
Well, my parents encouraged me to read and were pretty proud of me, I pretty much got into everything I read then myself.

No, I've never read it. I've only read the Hobbit and LOTR. I probably should though, Tolkien is very entertaining.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #22760
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Well, my parents encouraged me to read and were pretty proud of me, I pretty much got into everything I read then myself.

No, I've never read it. I've only read the Hobbit and LOTR. I probably should though, Tolkien is very entertaining.
I liked Tolkien but he also tried to get me to read Dune (which I don't like at all, I never finished the first book but told him I did just to get him off my case XD) and a lot of weird fantasy books, and I wasn't allowed to get a lot of children's novels (never read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory until I was 17 or 18). I want to read LOTR again but I haven't since the movies came out, I'm afraid the books are as cheesy as the movies The Silmarillion is terrible, reads like the Bible, Tom Bombadil is a poetry book if I remember correctly, I really liked it when I was little. Unfinished Tales I want to get as well, it was stories he started but never finished, I never read the whole thing but some of the stories were really good. I think thats all I read, I can't really remember.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #22761
honeythorn

The chapter with Tom Bombadil from LOTR is one of my all time favourites.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #22762
Saya

I'm still pissed they left Tom Bombadil out of the movies. Old Man Willow (was that his name?) would've been interesting to see as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #22763
Haunted House

Since I can be as immature as I want in the randomness thread, the name of this instrument makes me laugh every time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacbutt

But since it's a link from wikipedia we all know that it's more likely to not exist and that some douche bag made it up with the purpose of giving someone an F on a school paper.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #22764
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
I'm still pissed they left Tom Bombadil out of the movies. Old Man Willow (was that his name?) would've been interesting to see as well.

They gave some of Tom's ( albeit modified ) lines/some character references to Treebeard, and old man willow was converted to the horrid tree that tries to eat Merry and Pippin when they accidentally splash some water from the Entwash on the roots. " Away with you! You should not be waking! Eat earth, dig deep, drink water, go to sleep. Away with you "
Old 11-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #22765
Saya

Which movie was that? I'll have to rewatch them, I only saw the second one a few times (I really hated how many liberties was made in that one. The entire time I was like "But THAT didn't happen! That doesn't even make sense!" Like how the elves went to help them at Helm's Deep. The reason it was such a desperate situation was because the elves couldn't help this time!), and I only saw the third one once, at this point I was quite out of love with the franchise.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #22766
honeythorn

Two Towers. But you'll only find it in the extended versions of the DVD's . I really reccomend you pay the extra for the 4 disc box sets . The cast commentaries alone are worth it, and the documentaries are wonderful.

To be fair, there is absolutely no way on earth they could fit everything into all three films. Even with each one ( the movie theatre edits ) clocking in at about 3 hours each, plus after th first one, the fellowship splits up and the stories of each group run on different timelines and so on, there's no way they could do it. Also, they are making the movie mostly for people who have never read the book, so it has to make some sort of sense and order to them, yet at the same time they have to leave in enough original references for fans of the actual books. You can't please everyone, and some changes are bound to happen of some description. There are a fair few things I don't agree with, but when you think about the films from the perspective of someone who has never read the book, you can see why they made the changes.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #22767
Mir

I would recommend Dune by Frank Herbert as well. That, and 2001:A Space Odyssey by A.C. Clarke.

Try not to think of them as Sci-fi, because they are so much more than that.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #22768
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
When I eat walnuts they remind me of Voltaire's Brains song.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #22769
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I'm a fan of Voltaire's Headless Waltz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #22770
Darcnyss

Ugh. I'm past the big 30 already and still I'm acting like a lovesick teenager on his first date. Somebody slap me.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #22771
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain

He played that one at Whitby
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #22772
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Two Towers. But you'll only find it in the extended versions of the DVD's . I really reccomend you pay the extra for the 4 disc box sets . The cast commentaries alone are worth it, and the documentaries are wonderful.
Ah, those were awesome. I had all three extended editions but I can't find where any of them went after I moved, argh. I so want to watch them again!

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #22773
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn

To be fair, there is absolutely no way on earth they could fit everything into all three films. Even with each one ( the movie theatre edits ) clocking in at about 3 hours each, plus after th first one, the fellowship splits up and the stories of each group run on different timelines and so on, there's no way they could do it. Also, they are making the movie mostly for people who have never read the book, so it has to make some sort of sense and order to them, yet at the same time they have to leave in enough original references for fans of the actual books. You can't please everyone, and some changes are bound to happen of some description. There are a fair few things I don't agree with, but when you think about the films from the perspective of someone who has never read the book, you can see why they made the changes.
I understand liberties were bound to be taken, but again, why did the elves have to be at Helm's Deep? What was all that shit with Arwen and Elrond? Just to give Liv Tyler more lines? What was that crap with Faramir dragging Sam and Frodo around? If they left that stuff out they would have had more time to do what was done in the books, or if they were going to add stuff in they could have done a much better job.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #22774
LaBelleDameSansMerci

It probably was to give Liv Tyler more lines. They got her to sign on so they could put a big name on the poster, so they might as well use her :P
I was also angry at the increased romance. I think that was only in there so it would appeal a bit more to non-Tolkien geeks.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #22775
Geoluhread

Even after all those technological inventions, digital photos and cameras, flipping through a photo album is much more exciting than doing it on the computer/phone/digital camera
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Closed Thread