Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Xbox 360 Elite

Now as some of you may know the Xbox 360 Elite came out on sunday. I for one was relieved because I've been waiting for the xbox 360 formerly known as "Zephyr" for longer than the xbox 360 has been out. Now I finaly have it! The gaming community in general is in debate over the actual value of such a system. Is it overall worth the money, or is the only reason that I bought it was for it's beautiful black luster?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Splintered

I don't see the point in owning an Xbox. Then again, I've been a loyal computer user since Quake came out.

However, being heavily involved in the gaming community, and knowing the benefits of the Xbox 360 Elite over the Xbox 360, I'd see no point in getting the Xbox 360 Elite. Why? Because Krylon came out with black spraypaint that sticks to plastic (I think it was Krylon).

Since I don't have an HDMI cable either, I'm not going to gain a benefit from that either (Although, knowing Xbox games, I'd question the neccesity of the HDMI output to begin with). Not only that, but 120GB of space seems a bit excessive. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure you can upgrade the hard drive yourself, which would make that feature probably more expensive than it's worth as well.

I mean, the Xbox 360 Elite probably isn't a bad choice, but personally I'd go with the Xbox360 Premium, and then just spraypaint it black.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Cyntrox

And I'm still trying to figure out what the hell an Xbox live is...
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
eternalcrimson

As someone who has been playing video games for more than 25 years now I can say that the XBOX 360 is a big pile of horseshit.

The games themselves are good the main problem I have is with XBOX live. First you have to pay just to be able to use any of the games online which doesn’t make any sense to me. Why do I need a middleman? I can play games for free online using my PC, PS2, PS3 and eventually when they get to it Nintendo will have online games even the Wii. XBOX Live is nothing more than a vehicle than to get the XBOX 360 online. It makes no sense.

Then all the services that XBOX live does offer are crap. All the stats that they offer is useless and all the games that they have on XBOX arcade are super dull. Here’s a fact, the first game to sell more than a 1,000,000 on XBOX arcade was Uno. UNO! A card game.

Then in addition to XBOX live there are some games that require a subscription fee. So now I’m paying Microsoft and some software company to play online. Why do I need to pay two companies? The thing that pisses me off most of all, is in order to have a good character online you have to pay extra for, maps, items, etc. Which cost the software company nothing to make, then charges us fortunes for us in return to pay for. It’s a new president in gaming that I absolutely loathe and I hope Nintendo and Sony don’t follow suit.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Kraven de Sade

I had an XBOX 360. It took me about 100 hours of playing it to decide to sell it. I'll stick to my PS2, and buy a PS3 when I can afford it.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
QuixoticPoiizon

PS3 may have good graphics but the 360 is better...more games out and more variety...360 Elite would be worth it if you have ALOT of games because it comes with a 120 GB so you could save a whole bunch and not worry about buying another $100 hardrive
QuixoticPoiizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Splintered

But the PS3 has blue-ray, and is sexy, and costs $200000000000000000.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...75504838642038

Or not.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
deafasadoornail

We have an XBox -- regular, old school, BORING. I want to upgrade but everyone says the 360 is a pile of horsesh**.

Anyone want to give me a recommendation on which gaming console to buy next? I need something that's going to have plenty of options for the kids (they like Lego Star Wars and Shrek) and plenty of role play options for me. My husband likes Halo.

By the way, Splintered, my hubby does network security and totally agrees with your "secure computer" quote. He didn't even laugh, just kind of blinked at me and said, "Yeah, and?"
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Raptor

Deafasadoornail, I don't have a xbox 360 or a PS3, but I have friends who do and I've tried both. I've always stuck with playstations, but I don't have the money for a PS3 at the moment, I love the metal gear solid series.

Anyway, they both look really good, the PS3 I tried was with a HD TV but the xbox 360 wasn't.

On the xbox I really liked gears of war, call of duty, and rainbox six. If you like that style of game then those are all great. Resistance: fall of man on PS3 is similar to gears of war but I didn't enjoy it as much, especially on multiplayer. I also tried some tennis game, and motorstorm. I usually hate, hate any sports game on console or computer, but 4 player tennis was kind of fun. Motorstorm looks amazing, though it was one player only. My friend said that there is a multiplayer patch coming out for it though and I think that will make it a lot better. Oh I also played some game he downloaded called flow. Its like a high tech version of snake but its oddly addictive... cost him £3 to download.

Don't know if that will help you to decide at all, I'm still not sure which I like better.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
Kraven de Sade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
That video cracks me up. Not for the obvious reasons, though. It cracks me up because it's obviously a pro-Wii vid, yet at the same time it makes the Wii seem like something you want use, toss out, get checked for STDs, and forget about within a 24-hour period.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
Extraordinary

Sony has a ten-year lifespan planned for the PS3; that means no PS4 until 2016. This is twice the lifespan of PSX and PS2. How they expect more expensive technology bought earlier to last longer I don't know. The fact that there will likely be two each (or more) new consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo before one new console comes from Sony seems like giving a massive edge to the competition. If you buy a PS3, you're making an investment and putting a lot of confidence into it.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Drake Dun

Trust Microsoft to come up with a name like "elite" for one of their products. It's like that shit in the news recently, where some comedian offed his wife or whatever, said comedian answering to the name of "Savage" or whatever very suggestive name it was.

I have played several games on the XBox 360 at friends' places, and Microsoft has made a better showing with it than I expected. Still, if I understand correctly, the Elite is just a pumped 360.. and I haven't noticed that the 360 needs any pumping.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Kraven de Sade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Still, if I understand correctly, the Elite is just a pumped 360.. and I haven't noticed that the 360 needs any pumping.

Drake
I thought it only had a larger hard drive.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
Drake Dun

That's pretty much what I was talking about. Bigger hard drive, or whatever. I vaguely recall hearing that it has a superior video hookup, for people who have the latest TVs. Point being, same games.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
Kraven de Sade

Oh, I thought that by "pumped up," you meant it had a faster processor and better video capabilites, for smoother graphics. Or something like that.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
deafasadoornail

So if I already have a computer that plays most games and then a regular X Box which is pretty much obsolete, I could just get a 360 and live without the live or the Elite functions. Does anyone know if regular XBox games work on the 360?

I'm tempted by a Playstation, but I think everyone in the family is used to the XBox set up and it would be a PITA to switch now.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
eternalcrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafasadoornail
So if I already have a computer that plays most games and then a regular X Box which is pretty much obsolete, I could just get a 360 and live without the live or the Elite functions. Does anyone know if regular XBox games work on the 360? I'm tempted by a Playstation, but I think everyone in the family is used to the XBox set up and it would be a PITA to switch now.
It plays some and that’s if you have XBOX live so you can download the patch to play your game. IMHO it’s a major pain which is why I don’t have one.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #18
deafasadoornail

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalcrimson
It plays some and that’s if you have XBOX live so you can download the patch to play your game. IMHO it’s a major pain which is why I don’t have one.
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'm going to want to start over fresh and just look for whichever platform has the most gaming options we like. Ah well, research is always the best reason to spend more time on the computer, right?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #19
Cyntrox

If I was to buy a console, it'd be a Wii. Why? Well, you have Zelda and Super Smash Bros. As if that wasn't enough there's the whole motion thing.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #20
Jarl

360 wins. Oblivion. new GTA coming out in october. 'nuff said.
Jarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #21
Jarl

Though I will agree that xbox live is horse shit.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
Kraven de Sade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarl
360 wins. Oblivion. new GTA coming out in october. 'nuff said.
Well, if that's your criteria, I could say that the PS3 wins... Oblivion (with even more content). New GTA coming out the same exact day as the XBOX 360 version.

Booyah.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:25 AM   #23
Raptor

Yup it does. I think I'm leaning towards the PS3 now, even though I really like the 360. Mainly because I remembered MGS4, I love those games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
If I was to buy a console, it'd be a Wii. Why? Well, you have Zelda and Super Smash Bros. As if that wasn't enough there's the whole motion thing.
The PS3 has the motion thing too. Though the Wii is probably much better for it, I didn't really like it when I tried on a PS3.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #24
Jarl

What I like about the xbox 360 is that it's not a PS3
Old 06-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #25
Jarl

In other words, I already have a 360 and even if I wanted to, I'm too poor to buy a PS3.

*sorry for the multiple posts, I'm drunk*