Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
emeraldlonewoulf

Meaning in Fashion Game

Here's an idea, inspired by the tangent from the bullet belt thread. How about we each take turns describing our outfits, and then everyone else can deconstruct the deeply hidden, philosophically and politically important messages we are subconsciously or blatantly sending the rest of the world. I'll start:

size 10 and 1/2 Doc Martens (the work boots, not the showy things)

argyle socks in black and brown

black Dickies, work jeans

a brown "KON" t-shirt passed on from a friend

a black and tan long sleeved, dress style cotton shirt, with left hand breast pocket

a long sleeved olive drab sweatshirt/ sweater thing

accessories, if they can be called such:
black zippo I've had for ten years
my pocket knife
cell phone
stainless steel barreled fountain pen
work i.d., consisting of a plastic card dangling from a neck cord, emblazoned with my name, emp. number, job title and a bright orange stripe across the bottom.

also, all of the above is covered in mud. the clothing, not accessories.

now, what does this MEAN?

P.S. this whole thing is meant a bit tongue-in-cheek, but what the hell, it could be fun.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Stormtrooper of Death

Well, why not, I'll bite.

Today:

-SWAT Tactical Combat Boots

-Grey wool socks

-Black Jeans

-Army Issue Black Fingerless gloves

-Doom "Warcrimes Inhuman Beings" Shirt

-Black Thermal Long Sleeve Shirt

-Studded Belt

-Studded and Patched Denim Vest

"Accessories":

-Knife
-Car/House/Truck Keys
-Wallet
-2 Pens
-Lip Balm
-Paper with bands I'm researching, lineups and whatnot

This doesn't change from day to day, it's always a band t-shirt, black jeans or woodland BDUs and my vest, sometimes my leather jacket.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldlonewoulf View Post
Here's an idea, inspired by the tangent from the bullet belt thread. How about we each take turns describing our outfits, and then everyone else can deconstruct the deeply hidden, philosophically and politically important messages we are subconsciously or blatantly sending the rest of the world. I'll start:

a black and tan long sleeved, dress style cotton shirt, with left hand breast pocket

my pocket knife
cell phone
work i.d., consisting of a plastic card dangling from a neck cord, emblazoned with my name, emp. number, job title and a bright orange stripe across the bottom.

P.S. this whole thing is meant a bit tongue-in-cheek, but what the hell, it could be fun.
I heart you. lol good idea, I hope this one gets out of hand just as much as the other one, and MAYBE, just maybe...... People will start to understand how friggen stupid it is to make largely ridiculous assumptions about people based on minor opinions or style.

=) I'm actually looking forward to reading what people post here.
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:

my pocket knife
cell phone

That this topic will get out of hand because the people that two or all three of you argued with will see rightly see this as baiting.

If fact, I'll gladly bet that one of them will even show up and point out the post proving that SoD's motivations for buying the belt were just for fashion. I saw the thread for myself, he finally admitted it. The problem is, if he had just fessed up from the start rather than the longwinded anarchopacifist (is this an actual offshoot of anarchic politics?) explanation, the argument could have been largely avoided.

But if I have to participate in the thread, I'll say that the mud on your outfit means you were probably reenacting the escape scene from Raising Arizona.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Stormtrooper of Death

Yes, it is a form of anarchist politics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_pacifism

I don't think the argument would have been avoided because douch bag Alan would have brought up some rediculous thing about me or something.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
If fact, I'll gladly bet that one of them will even show up and point out the post proving that SoD's motivations for buying the belt were just for fashion.
right, which is why we were trying to say that it was stupid to get into a long argument over a belt. but Alan keeps going no matter what, so he can keep having one by himself, because he bases his arguments on the sole fact that he despises SOD and basically will fight anything SOD has to say at all.

but that's besides the point. I think this is def meant to be a joke, so I'm all for being civil =)
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
emeraldlonewoulf

frankly, i don't give a damn what his motivations were, were not, were interpreted to be by either himself or others. I was having fun laughing at the whole argument.

Was i "baiting"? Of course, a bit. Otherwise, I think it would be entertaining to hear other people's interpretations of the clothes we wear every day.

I thought it was fairly obvious from my description that I had just gotten off work from an outdoor job, that being presentable for aforementioned work day was the primary motivation in putting the "outfit" together in the first place, that a hint of studiousness or nerdiness or whatever was present by the buttondown shirt and argyles given the other types of items, and that people do wear everyday clothes occasionally, even within the online world of "gothdom".

In trying to perpetuate this as an actual game, I will "interpret" SoDs' garb, seeing as he's the only one else who has contributed an outfit thus far. then I'll describe today's outfit, for the idea that someone else will state what the description brings to mind.

So,here we go:

-SWAT Tactical Combat Boots - means you desire a rough, mildly menacing appearance, or that you just want something sturdy and comfortable.

-Grey wool socks it's cold out?

-Black Jeans pretty much something everyone has.

-Army Issue Black Fingerless gloves again, the militaristis thing. or, it's cold, and you are planning on doing something that requires finger dexterity.

-Doom "Warcrimes Inhuman Beings" Shirt - self explanatory

-Black Thermal Long Sleeve Shirt again, it must be cold.

-Studded Belt -- ooh! leather! (i'm guessing!) and metal! that's pointy. again, projecting badassedness.

-Studded and Patched Denim Vest we've all seen pictures in the DIY thread

"Accessories":

-Knife
-Car/House/Truck Keys
-Wallet
-2 Pens
-Lip Balm
-Paper with bands I'm researching, lineups and whatnot - the fact you mentioned this says you are trying too hard with the band thing. Post some music already! ( or have I just missed that somewhere? I don't go over the forums as much as i used to)

and today I'm wearing...

a green long sleeved t-shirt

black leggings

a green, tie-dyed broom stick skirt

accessories:

one mood ring, worn on right thumb

green rubber band used to secure hair in a braid down my back

yes, I am the same person I was yesterday....

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

You're spot on with most of the stuff, I wear the SWAT boots for comfort and how tough they are actually.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Niccolo della Luce

Quote:

and today I'm wearing...

a green long sleeved t-shirt

black leggings

a green, tie-dyed broom stick skirt

accessories:

one mood ring, worn on right thumb

green rubber band used to secure hair in a braid down my back

yes, I am the same person I was yesterday....

Not too much coming from this except for a love of the green/black combination, implying that you associate with the arts in some participating way. Mood ring suggests a stressful personality, whether that stress is acknowledged or not. Use of a rubber band shows appreciation for the modification of simplicity into functionality. Green long-sleeved t-shirt suggests a somewhat slim figure, though I may be wrong. Black leggings are most commonly used with pale skin, though exceptions are not unheard of. No real outgoing message to be found, but am I good with what I have?

Now for mine.

Black jeans customized to flair out the bottoms only slightly, not dramatically. Simple black sleeveless shirt with an unbuttoned black dress shirt over it, the dress shirt having a slight vertical stripe pattern to it from stitching. Silver pentacle necklace with five small inlaid sapphires. Simple black top hat. Brown transition lenses in my prescription eyeglasses. Antique silver pocketwatch, kept in my front pocket, with the chain attached to a belt loop. Shoes are of Italian design, dressy-looking with extremely slip-resistant pattern on the bottom. White gold class ring with golden sapphire gem worn on right ring finger. Hair is kept short and simple with no artificial flavors or colors.
Niccolo della Luce is offline   Reply With Quote