Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #26
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_asian_Dax
Ya. It's actually kind of scary to walk onto a high school campus and see most of the girls dressed like 20/30 something year old nightclub hookers in training.
Very true.

Most of the girls at my school are like that.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #27
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
As I watch myself slowly die.
"Shorter of breath
and one day
closer to death."

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #28
Valerius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
"Shorter of breath
and one day
closer to death."
What poem is that and who is the author?

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #29
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
"You are too old to look like that. Cut your hair. You'd look so good with a normal haircut. You're doing things that you shouldn't be doing at your age. You are dressing like a teenager dresses. You are interested in things that you should have grown out of long ago. When people get older they let these things go, you know. You'll never be successful unless you give up this juvenile fashion sense and assimilate with the real world. Get real!"

The above quote is an example of a mentality that I despise.
So when I'm 36 I shouldn't go see bands? So when I'm 40 I shouldn't go to nightclubs? So when I'm 50 I shouldn't play sports or be athletic? So when I'm 60 I shouldn't play golf? So when I'm 70 I shouldn't write a story or paint a picture?

Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?
Really, I feel the exact same.
I just wish people would realise that mental maturity and physical maturity have nothing to do with eachother.
Thus rendering the statement "act your age" useless.
You know what I'm saying?
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #30
Dancing_in_rain

I would be interested in knowing what poem that is as well...
And Valerius, why did I find my new corset on the floor this morning? I hope you weren't trying it on.
I go to an all-girls private school and have a strict uniform code. I posted it earlier on in the "goths at school" thread. I'm not even allowed to wear make-up, though I manage to get away with some thin lines of eye-liner on either side of my eyes and some dark eyeshadow. When it's free dress, I have a looser rein. However, I've found myself some gothy but not all out outfits that I can wear on free dress days. I'll wear a non waist-cinching corset under my black jacket, with a black skirt and fishnets. I won't make my make-up dramatic. Otherwise, I wear a teal velour blazer with a metallic black tanktop underneath and jean. Or, one of my favourite outfits, because it brings out my slightly more punk side, whilst still being acceptable is: dark jeans (not black, but dark blue) with a non waist-cinching corset under my black rather military-style jacket, with fishnet arm warmers, darker make-up and smart black lace-up loafers. I wear my (hand-made) pentacle and silver dangly earrings with that. Sometimes, if I'm feeling bold, I'll dye the front strand of my hair red with food colouring. Funnily, quite a few of my friends' parents say I have a great and very uniques dress sense, which for me is a huge compliment. A little side note on my jacket: I got it in China last year, in a fake market and it is "Prada". Quotations for the very obvious reason that it is a sham. It looks awesome though and the brand name isn't visible. It's getting a little tight at the shoulders though. Sniff.

So I went off on a bit of a tangent. Oops. Let me recoup then and focus on the thread topic. I'm often told I'm too young to be goth, that it's a university thing, where you go through the phase and come out smarter. People seem to think that Goth is a stage that some adolescents go through, which ranges from ages 18 to 26 (MAX!!!). I disagree. After all, look at HumanePain! Awesomely Goth, more advanced in years and still just as great! Age limits are merely very basic guidelines. If you're comfortable doing what you do at your age, then no one should be able to tell you that you shouldn't be doing it.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #31
MollyMac

Simply, they think that when you get to a certain age you need to stop enjoying what you enjoy and listen to Don Henley.

Fuck 'em. I'm 29 and still get in the pit at Dropkick Murphys.

But what I usually say to them is simple:

"Pay my bills, then you can have a say."
Old 04-29-2007, 07:41 PM   #32
mrs.wes straker

Mosh pits are awesome.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #33
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
What poem is that and who is the author?
Pink Floyd in Time.
(from The Dark Side of The Moon)

And thank you for mentioning me as an example Dancing In Rain.
::bows::

Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #34
Senor_Sadomachism

Meh... my teacher at school keeps telling me that I'm just going through a phase in high school, he says that no one in college dresses like that. I kindly reply "And your point is?" he bombards me with questions like "Why can't you dress like your brother?" Hey cunt guess what? I'm not my brother ok, I'm me not him, hehehe just cause were twins! And on the make-up... he knows that I'm Gay and then he uses my sexuality against me with questions like "You know gay guys don't wear make-up." "You're probably just trying to scare guys away from you." "Gay guys don't dress like you." Pisses me off. Oh well if thats what he thinks Goth is what can I do about it? His opinions, not mine. Back to topic, OH WAIT! Did I mention he tries to dress like teenagers too? He wears Hollister etc. Not judging how he dresses cause I don't really care but maybe he looks down on Goths because that's what mundanes do, so I guess he's trying to fit in. Poor guy. :P
Senor_Sadomachism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #35
alshio

Senor_Sadomachism your teacher is an ass.

My parents would probably have a heart attack if I acted my age because according to teen stereotypes I should be binge drinking, trying out drugs, sleeping around, arguing with them over everything, dressing like a skank and being generally irresponcible.

Restricting a behavour to an age is just silly.
In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed – they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo, Brunelleschi, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
- Orson Wells
alshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #36
Encaitare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
Meh... my teacher at school keeps telling me that I'm just going through a phase in high school, he says that no one in college dresses like that.
Untrue. It's pretty awesome, actually, because a lot of college kids are, well, let's say "uninspired" with their dress and will wear sweats or jeans and a plain tee... at least, that's how it is at my school. And then there are my best friend and I in all our corsets and frippery, and everyone thinks it's cool that we dress up to go to class.

College is all about learning, both in the classroom and out, and about doing your own thing. Whatever makes you happy. There are very few restrictions, no one to tell you what you can't or shouldn't wear or do (illegal things aside, haha).

Anyhow, I saw VNV Nation last week and was surprised by the range of ages present at the show. I'd say my friends and I were among the youngest, being 18, but there were also people who appeared to be in their 40s, which I thought was pretty cool. There's no age limit on taste.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #37
Mir

Pink Floyd are the shiznit! =)
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #38
eternalcrimson

The more I think about it…

"You shouldn't be doing that at your age." = conformity

The people that I have met who embody that phrase usually are miserable bitter people. My parents are a good example. When they were dating my Mom became pregnant and this was back in the ‘70s. They were pressured by both sides of my family to marry because they didn’t want my Mom to abort the baby (which was still considered a little taboo at that time) and more importantly they didn’t want the baby to become a bastard (another taboo from that time). So my parents giving up on their dreams of going to college and getting a career decided to marry and “be happy”(BTW if you haven’t figured it out yet the baby was me). Long story short over the years there has been this tension that has hung over the family. My Dad stays out all the time still wondering if he made the right choice to marry Mom and my Mom has become very clingy because she has never made any friends due to the fact she relied on us kids for companionship. It makes me wonder what my parents life would be like if they didn’t have all the pressure of you should do this & that. I wonder if they would have became happy if my Mom didn’t become pregnant.

On the happy side of things there was this old guy I used to really admire who defied “You shouldn’t be doing that at your age.” . The very first time I went to Torrance, California in the late ‘90s I went to this Japanese restaurant where this 70 plus year old guy who was the cook and owner, turned out to be a full genuine punker. He had a tall blue Mohawk, leather jacket and owned a motorcycle. I remember eating there thinking “I hope I’m like him when I get to his age.” He was kind, gentle and yet didn’t take the shit off of nobody. Very brave and somebody that I genuinely admired but at last around early 2000 I heard that he died. It made me very sad and yet glad that I was able to know someone that was courageous.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #39
Dancing_in_rain

Quote:
And thank you for mentioning me as an example Dancing In Rain.
::bows::
Why you're welcome kind sir...
*sweeps a low cursty*

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #40
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraven de Sade
You know, someone should point out that people in their 20s (even 30s) don't dress like teen-agers... teen-agers dress like people in their 20s (even 30s).
::bravo!!!::

Thankfully I haven't run across any problems *yet* in regards to how I dress because I am only 24. I dress how I want to when I'm at home or out on the town, but I still make sure that when I'm at work it's not against our dress code (which is very lax anyhow - we can where almost anything since we don't deal with the public).
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #41
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalcrimson
On the happy side of things there was this old guy I used to really admire who defied “You shouldn’t be doing that at your age.” . The very first time I went to Torrance, California in the late ‘90s I went to this Japanese restaurant where this 70 plus year old guy who was the cook and owner, turned out to be a full genuine punker. He had a tall blue Mohawk, leather jacket and owned a motorcycle. I remember eating there thinking “I hope I’m like him when I get to his age.” He was kind, gentle and yet didn’t take the shit off of nobody. Very brave and somebody that I genuinely admired but at last around early 2000 I heard that he died. It made me very sad and yet glad that I was able to know someone that was courageous.
Oh my god, that is so cool! I wish people around here were like that. To me, all the old ladies and men look the same (with small variations due to body shapes etc)... To meet a guy like him would've been awesome. That's definitely how I want to go!
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #42
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
but I still make sure that when I'm at work it's not against our dress code (which is very lax anyhow - we can where almost anything since we don't deal with the public).
I can get away with this at work:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...Humane1138.jpg

Not very Goth I know, but compared to all the other corporate clones wearing polo shirts and golf shoes, I stand out in my own way. BUT the weekends are MINE to dress as I wish!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #43
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

Not very Goth I know, but compared to all the other corporate clones wearing polo shirts and golf shoes, I stand out in my own way. BUT the weekends are MINE to dress as I wish!
I think you look really cool, and definitely gothy. I love the shirt you're wearing. Very sharp.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #44
Mir

hehe HP, nice look. I dress in all black at work too. Its fun. People ask me why I wear black all the time. I tell them I only wear black at work which is true.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #45
Linen

Quote:

The only things against our dress code at work are shorts (not that I'd want to), flip-flops, and extremely skin-showing outfits. I usually wear cargo pants and a t-shirt, or a skirt and a dress shirt. I'm allowed to have my nose piercing in and wear as much makeup & jewelry as I want (of course I keep it tasteful though). I’m quite fortunate to have such a lax dress code, but I don’t deal with the public at all.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #46
DarkHeartedDemoness

I don't think there's anything off-limits at work.

They didn't care about the blue streaks in my hair, or about my friend Justin's (upper management) full arm sleeve tattoos, or about any piercings we've encountered...

I frequently wear torn and shabby jeans, and have occasionally worn less-than-modest tops. No one seems to care.

It's really quite nice, actually. I don't ever want to get the sort of job that cares what I look like.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #47
Kitten of the Catacomb

I think that if you enjoy wearing what you wear, and you feel complete in that, then do so. Everyone else is closed minded, and they have a warped sense of 'normal'. Example: My step-dad believes that my brother should wear polos instead of band t-shirts, and he doesn't accept long haired "freaks". Blasphemy, I say.... I'd like to spite my step-dad by dying my hair bright green one day.
Kitten of the Catacomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #48
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten of the Catacomb
I think that if you enjoy wearing what you wear, and you feel complete in that, then do so. Everyone else is closed minded, and they have a warped sense of 'normal'. Example: My step-dad believes that my brother should wear polos instead of band t-shirts, and he doesn't accept long haired "freaks". Blasphemy, I say.... I'd like to spite my step-dad by dying my hair bright green one day.
That reminds me:

My 15-year-old male cousin got a piercing (DIY I believe, because he's underage) recently, and my aunt & uncle told him to take it out because it was "the work of Satan".

Commence the eye-rolling, please.

And then my mom proceeds to tell me that the next time I go over to my uncle's house I should take out my nose ring first so it doesn't offend them. They don't know I have it because I haven't seen them in well over a year. I told my mom, "I'm not going to take it out just because they don't want their kid to have one,", and then my mom was like "well you better", to which I responded, "Then I just won't go if they're going to be that ridiculous".

My aunt & uncle are such hypocrites. They only pretend to be religious so they can send their five boys to Catholic school for the "discipline" and for their public image (they're very wealthy and well-known in the local community).
Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #49
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
That reminds me:

My 15-year-old male cousin got a piercing (DIY I believe, because he's underage) recently, and my aunt & uncle told him to take it out because it was "the work of Satan".
DIY piercings are the work of Satan! That's one of the dumbest things you could do.

And yes, I know that missed the point of what you were saying, but I just don't want people trying to do DIY piercings. It's not safe.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #50
Encaitare

Quote:
And then my mom proceeds to tell me that the next time I go over to my uncle's house I should take out my nose ring first so it doesn't offend them.
I fail to see how a bit of metal stuck through one's face can be offensive. Maybe someone else might not like the look of it, but offensive? Unless there's a little charm hanging off it that says "FUCK YOU"... =P
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote