Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Green.Lady

Thumbs down What happened to this board?

Seriously, in a matter of months it's gone from a legitimate source of information with an enjoyable atmosphere to a drama-filled, spam-laden chatroom lacking regular posts by many of the members that actually had something important to say. I remember when discussions about music and questions about the subculture made up the majority of the forum, but now every other post (or perhaps more) is complete bullshit.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

And talking about a deviation of punk without the attitude nor the fire during the hedonistic 80's is not bullshit?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
prophecyofdoom

Heh from what I recall, there was always drama of some sort going on 'round here...

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Duane

Meh, it be partially my fault.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Green.Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
And talking about a deviation of punk without the attitude nor the fire during the hedonistic 80's is not bullshit?
We came here for that bullshit. Not for the bullshit that resides here today.
Deliver me a paper
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
gothicusmaximus

Well, Duckman returned. On his own, he was harmless. However, gnet is also home to a sizeable number of 13 year olds, who became so enamored with the man and his LOLRandomness that they were inspired to emulate him. Failing to be funny, interesting, or relevant even more thoroughly than Duck himself, they soon brought doom upon this forum.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Nevan

Ok. I just spent about ten minutes skimming through the new posts and have no desire to come back here any time soon.

I agree with what you say - it was MUCH different a few months ago. I'm hoping it's a phase and that things will pick up again but for the time being there's very little going on around here that makes for good conversation.

*sigh*

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
Wormboy

Amazing how big an impact an ex druggie can make eh?

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
Amazing how big an impact an ex druggie can make eh?
Not really.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #10
Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!! CLASSIC!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
Green.Lady

Quote:
Well, Duckman returned. On his own, he was harmless. However, gnet is also home to a sizeable number of 13 year olds, who became so enamored with the man and his LOLRandomness that they were inspired to emulate him. Failing to be funny, interesting, or relevant even more thoroughly than Duck himself, they soon brought doom upon this forum.
Pretty much.
Deliver me a paper
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 AM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
This site has been spammed to hell. Jolie Femme de Verte is correct.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
KontanKarite

Find another forum?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #14
HumanePain

Already have one. Been out there for years, where the old spirits dwell. Time to conjure them up again. You know the one I mean? The Site Whose Name Must Not Be Mentioned? (GG)

Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 AM   #15
m2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
Seriously, in a matter of months it's gone from a legitimate source of information with an enjoyable atmosphere to a drama-filled, spam-laden chatroom lacking regular posts by many of the members that actually had something important to say. I remember when discussions about music and questions about the subculture made up the majority of the forum, but now every other post (or perhaps more) is complete bullshit.
I've been visiting this forum since mid to late 2004 (never made an account really and posted much here since I wasnt a so-called "regular") and this issue has been going on for way longer than a few months. The site has overgone some drastic changes in the year's it seems (to help pay for bills I would assume or the site has been sold and gone under new ownership, im not sure) which in-turn has made it more popular for more trolls and idiot's to come along and fill it up with garbage. Although there is still some quality members left and quality threads, the overall feel of the site is basically gone for me and I would have to imagine anyone else who has been around for a while.

Truth be told, I would start the search for a new board as I do not see this one returning to the status and quality it once held back when I visited on a more regular basis... Either that or the admins/moderators need to start taking serious action like they once would do on a consistant basis and remove any trolls and stupid post(s) as quickly as they could attend to them.
m2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #16
MollyMac

Alternately, you could be the change you want to see here. Yes, there was a time, when I initially joined in 2004 when there were no cats on G.Net and interweb super highway was paved with cheese, no one shit stank and we all held hands when we peed.

That changed overnight and there is a new forum.

And G.Net followed a logical progression. I used to come her for the lit, but as the site has changed, so has my reason for being here. I like the fun and I get my high-brow elsewhere. Either accept it, or see what you can change. Bitching about it accomplishes nothing but pithy little arguments and talks of web arthritis.

For what you guys are wanting, the admin does not seem to think it is nevessary to overly mod as they think you are adult enough to read what you want to read and get over everything else without them having to censor. Guess you like them deeming what is "stupid" versus what is "funny" for you. Want them to cut your meat for you, too?

If something is truly offensive, notify them by reporting the post and then stop looking and then stop posting in the thread to let it drop. If they don't deal with it on THEIR board as YOU the unpaying "customer" see fit, you may choose to go elsewhere.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #17
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Agreed. Most threads are like dance clubs nowadays - shitty music and you wind up shouting over the heads of all the people rubbing up against each other and making out in order to talk to the people who actually want a discussion.

I didn't mind so much when it was the odd pointless thread from Duck - some were pretty funny. But now every thread turns into the pre-teen brigade's forum to assure Duckie of the different ways in which they'd do him.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #18
L'Oiseau Noir

Unfortunately the whole "Gothic" thing attracts its fair share of idiots, as well as its fair share of people who actually have a brain. For example, look at all the Mallgoths (most of which I've observed to be little thirteen-year-olds looking for a way to gain attention and think its cool to look like a walking iron maiden) who swear they're the gothiest person ever to grace the world; and they go searching on the internet to talk with "fellow freaks" of whom they hope to be able to talk about their despair, pain, hatred, and how they want to kill everyone with. Look at Signe for goodness sake.

They're just out for attention, so they use the internet as a medium to fulfill that desire and spread their bullshit, leaving us with the shit-end of the stick.

Just my twopence.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 AM   #19
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Already have one. Been out there for years, where the old spirits dwell. Time to conjure them up again. You know the one I mean? The Site Whose Name Must Not Be Mentioned? (GG)
I'm afraid I don't know the name of the site that must not be mentioned. It would be nice if we could all find a different forum we could post on so we don't all have to go our separate ways. But in order to contain this info we must only exchange it among those who we think will not abuse the forum through pm.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #20
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
I'm afraid I don't know the name of the site that must not be mentioned. It would be nice if we could all find a different forum we could post on so we don't all have to go our separate ways. But in order to contain this info we must only exchange it among those who we think will not abuse the forum through pm.
Sending you pm.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #21
Breathless Horror

Could I have that site as well please? I promise I'll be good. I miss a lot of the old discussions...

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
honeythorn

*raises hand * Mr Humane, if you would be so kind?
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #23
Solumina

For those of you who don't know, the site he is talking about is the one EPS made when she left/got kicked out here and is where most of the old members went.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Last I checked, it's not very active.
Or has it picked up?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #25
emeraldlonewoulf

it might pick up if those of us with interest were to visit more.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote