Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Cen0bite

What to make dreadfalls on

I'm going to start making my own dreadfalls as soon as I get the hair I ordered. I was wondering if anyone here makes their own, and if you do, what do you put it on. For example, lace, hair bands, etc... I was thinking about maybe some ribbon or something.. would that work?

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Neurosis

I have also begun making dreadlocks, but unfortunately, bought the wrong hair type (PP Kanekalon fibre hair), and came out really messy. Make sure it's 100% Kanekalon.

I find that thick elastics work the best. Ones that when pulled, you know has a firm grip. Lace is also a good supporter. I don't think ribbons will work. I find that they are too feeble for any support.

Hope this helps.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
BlackButterfly

Scünci makes these lovely seamless hair elastics called "hair hosiery" that are perfect (stretchy, low snag factor, no metal parts and no breakage). I find them to be perfect for such endeavors.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosis
I have also begun making dreadlocks, but unfortunately, bought the wrong hair type (PP Kanekalon fibre hair), and came out really messy. Make sure it's 100% Kanekalon.
Yeah, I ordered the 100% Kanekalon jumbo braid. I've heard about the PP fibre and that it doesn't work well with heat. So, I stayed away from it.
BlackButterfly, thanks for the link!

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
Old 02-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Neurosis

Well, PP fibre does not work well with heat so much, that thanks for my hard effort to melt the fibre, it blew out my hairdryer. Luckily we had a new one in our closet.

Not too long ago, my aunt bought a facial steamer, that I tried to use on the PP. Forgetting to place the water secure top, I accidentally dropped the steamer, sending all the water gushing out, and scalded my leg. I have a burn on my leg as a result.

When using my flat hair iron, the hair did melt, but came out scraggly, and broke off easily.

Take my misfortune as a caution. Never buy PP.

--Neurosis
Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Cen0bite

Well, it's not so much as not buying it, it's just not good for heat. It can be used for braids, twists, and silky wraps.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
BlackButterfly

Can't you use hot water? I do. It's a bit messier (I make my dreads in the bathroom, but just as effective. Pettingzoowigs.com has an excellent braid sealer and a ratting comb to make dreads.

I'll have to find that tutorial for making dreads, but I think it was on Doctored Locks.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 02-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Neurosis

I find this website most helpful in making dreads:

http://www.angrycaninelovestick.org

--Neurosis
Old 02-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Cen0bite

I think I'm going to use a hair dryer to do mine. Actually, angrycaninelovestick.org is where I learned how to make them at.

Btw, does anyone know how to make ribbed tubing falls? I know where to get it, but how would you put it on the elastic bands? Superglue? I'm confused when it comes to that part. Also, I just walked to CVS with my grandma and saw the same hair bands that were on the scrunchies.com website. So, I'm going to get them there instead of online.

Blackbutterfly, I have the dread tutorial on Doctored Locks but I'm at my grandma's house using her computer. On my computer, it's under the Favorites section so when I get home, I'll send you the link.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
c130

Quote:

--Neurosis
Omg. I never thought of using wool! I've been wanting to attempt making some dreads for a while but couldn't figure out what to make them from.

Only problem is, how would I attach two-foot wool & plastic tube dreads to my current two inches of hair?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
BlackButterfly

Two inches is plenty is you just want them woven in temporarily (especially with wool, which is feather-light). However, if you meant gathering that up into a secure base for falls...

Good rubber bands and lotsa prayer!

c130
Old 02-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
c130

Would PVA glue answer any prayers?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
BlackButterfly

Maybe, you could form a "stub" of sorts... but I'd advise caution in applying any sort of adhesive to the hair/scalp area.

(at least you didn't mention latex bonding glue--the very thought of that strikes fear into my very core!)

c130
Old 02-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
Neurosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
Only problem is, how would I attach two-foot wool & plastic tube dreads to my current two inches of hair?
They always recommend three inches, since it will be more reliable in security. Question is can you braid your hair? Try it, and let me know how it turns out, then I'll tell you the rest.

--Neurosis
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #15
chelseagirl

I prefer elastic mounting over lace, because using something that has stretch to it makes it easier to secure better to your own hair. I know everyone on here hates Vampire Freaks, but the cult Dread to be Different on there has awesome tutorials for everything imaginable (loose, tubing, crin, rexlace, synth dreads, etc.), and most of the tutorials have step by step directions with pictures. There's a LOT more tutorials on there than on Heavenly Hair.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
Neurosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
I think I'm going to use a hair dryer to do mine.
Do not try the hairdrying method. My dreads came out really scraggly and rough. Even with Kanekalon, the dreads unravel. Like mentioned before, my hairdryer stopped working after so many uses trying to melt the dread with the appliance. Boiling water was so much useful. It melted easier, and the scraggely figure smoothed down. Just remember to twist as you inserted it into the pot of boiling water, and repeat the proces, not just once. Use your instinct when you see that the dread is just fine.

--Neurosis
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
Cen0bite

K, well I switched to the boiling water method..and wow, it worked so well. I managed to do about 13 today. I have 25 in all. Here's a pic.
http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/10...425x425Q85.jpg

Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
chelseagirl

Nice color combination! I have a pair of dread falls in those exact colors. Very good job.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #19
Neurosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
K, well I switched to the boiling water method..and wow, it worked so well. I managed to do about 13 today. I have 25 in all. Here's a pic.
http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/10...425x425Q85.jpg
Nice dreads! I'm still on the process of making mine. It took about three bags to finally create nice, solid dreads. Mine are all black though, since I do not want to cause any trouble with my parents. Although, I am planning on a few yellow here and there.

--Neurosis
Old 02-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #20
emeraldlonewoulf

http://www.extra-muffins.com/hair/

yes, it is a goofy sounding name, but anything and everything you might want to know about non-traditional hairstyles you can probably find here...... they have a wealth of info on dreads....... I got the link from somewhere on here actually. I think it was from a post by Poupee Celestia...... or she started the thread, one.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #21
Heatherzilla

I've been making some dread falls and some loose falls just for fun, I used lace to mount them and they stay in really well. Hair elastics have an annoying way of breaking all the time.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
sophillya

i recommend elastic but lace works well too. be careful about the ribbon though, it tends to slip out
sophillya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #23
mooncradle

Use elastic lace or or plain elastic. Layer the dreads, use about 2-3 layers. Are you planning on making SE's or DE's? If your doing DE's remeber to purchase little rubber bands!
With Crin or any other type of tubing you can put it on like DE's and use a little elastic band to attach about 3-4 pieces at a time, you can also tie them on but they lie nicer if attached with litte rubber bands.
Boilings cool, makes big soft dreads you can hug.
mooncradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #24
Killer_Burrito

Quote:

--Neurosis
Awesome site! And while I was looking...haha I found my Electonic Studio 2 teacher's picture in the dreads section. Wow. Oh Ms. Young....how I love you.
Killer_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
Cen0bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncradle
With Crin or any other type of tubing you can put it on like DE's and use a little elastic band to attach about 3-4 pieces at a time, you can also tie them on but they lie nicer if attached with litte rubber bands.
Do you mean like putting a piece of tubing over elastic to where the ends are equal and using an elastic band to hold them together at the top? I've googled this for the longest time and I can't find anything on making them.