Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #4301
Grausamkeit

America has a pretty crap education system.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #4302
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I'm taking up knitting so I can eventually make a Tom Baker scarf. Seems like a fun project.

After I get this color change thing down, I'll make my mom a Harry Potter scarf. Maybe also one for myself after that, depending on if I get bored of this new hobby quickly or not.

Then, after 3 or 4 practice scarves, it will be time to tackle the Doctor Who beast.

Any pointers from those of you who can knit would be appreciated.

Completely unrelated to knitting, my first final is tomorrow. I've been studying like mad and I think cuddling into bed and reading a book won't hurt. It's 12 the night before, there's not much else I can fit into my brain.
I know I won't get more than a 65 in the course. I've never had that happen to me before, and it was a source of intense anxiety for a while, but now I'm starting to accept that I don't have to get above 80 all the time.

Has anyone else found that high school didn't prepare them for university at all, or do we have a crappier education system than other places?
Knitting isn't so hard! There's like five different knitting groups around town, and a few knitting shops around will help you if you have trouble, like Wool Trends. I work at Michael's and I'll help if asked too, its just that not everyone there knits so its hard to guarantee someone can help at all times.

there's also a newfie group on ravelry.com, I'm not very active there but there's lots of nice patterns there. I also learned to knit from the Stitch N Bitch book, I tried learning tons of times before but couldn't stick with it until I got that book.

And yeah, I wasn't really prepared at all. I only had to put minimal effort into high school and graduated with honours, and it just doesn't fly in university.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #4303
Solumina

Quote:
Has anyone else found that high school didn't prepare them for university at all, or do we have a crappier education system than other places?
Most of my high school courses were much more rigorous than what I experienced at my university, the only thing that was easier was that in high school most of my teachers were pretty much okay with the idea of make up work if you missed something, where as the professors at my uni tended to be more of the "it was on the syllabus I handed out at the beginning of the semester so there are no excuses" mindset. Then again I was lucky to be in a very good school system, most of the kids that went to CNU seemed to be a bit overwhelmed.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #4304
honeythorn

Big box of vintage fur collars has arrived. The seller said on the listing that they were unwearable due to their age and state. The seller is a complete TWONK. All of them are still wearable, they simply need a bit of brushing and a bloody good rub with the old Bicarb.

The detachable ones with hooks will be kept to wear, the ones clearly cut off coats wiill be debacked and added to the furpile to be used in project Giantfurryblanketofdoooooom.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #4305
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Most of my high school courses were much more rigorous than what I experienced at my university, the only thing that was easier was that in high school most of my teachers were pretty much okay with the idea of make up work if you missed something, where as the professors at my uni tended to be more of the "it was on the syllabus I handed out at the beginning of the semester so there are no excuses" mindset. Then again I was lucky to be in a very good school system, most of the kids that went to CNU seemed to be a bit overwhelmed.
The school I went to pretty much only prepared you for university if you did the IB program, which was apparently a ridiculous amount of work and stress.

My university teachers are usually pretty good on extensions on papers, as long as you have a valid reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Knitting isn't so hard! There's like five different knitting groups around town, and a few knitting shops around will help you if you have trouble, like Wool Trends. I work at Michael's and I'll help if asked too, its just that not everyone there knits so its hard to guarantee someone can help at all times.

there's also a newfie group on ravelry.com, I'm not very active there but there's lots of nice patterns there. I also learned to knit from the Stitch N Bitch book, I tried learning tons of times before but couldn't stick with it until I got that book.
Saya, you are always a wealth of information for me!

Thankfully I know how the basics of how to to knit, I can knit a regular square dishcloth, so at least I have a starting point. The only problem I'm having is that I was told I'm supposed to slip the first stitch and knit the last stich of the row backwards" to make the edges look pretty. However it makes everything feel loose and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly even after watching it on youtube.

I'm also going to see if I can felt things. That seems easy enough.

I just checked out ravelry, and the front page is so adorable I can't not sign up.

" I only had to put minimal effort into high school and graduated with honours"

This is exactly my high school experience.

Go to class, do your work, and you'll pretty much just pass all the tests without having to study anything.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #4306
Saya

Quote:
Thankfully I know how the basics of how to to knit, I can knit a regular square dishcloth, so at least I have a starting point. The only problem I'm having is that I was told I'm supposed to slip the first stitch and knit the last stich of the row backwards" to make the edges look pretty. However it makes everything feel loose and I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly even after watching it on youtube.
You know, I don't bother doing it and my edges always look fine to me. If you're doing a Harry Potter scarf, you won't need to worry about edges anyway because you'll knit that in the round. I did one last year for a friend and it was piss easy.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #4307
Valhalla

Quote:
You know, I don't bother doing it and my edges always look fine to me. If you're doing a Harry Potter scarf, you won't need to worry about edges anyway because you'll knit that in the round. I did one last year for a friend and it was piss easy.
Oh good. I'm glad to know that it isn't actually needed.

Ideally though, I'd be able to make one of these

And if the edge thing doesn't matter than I'm good to go on intense amounts of scarf knitting. I wish exams were over.

Speaking of, what's your exam schedule like this term?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #4308
Saya

Only got one exam, and its on the 16th. Its on the Old Testament so I'm not worried about it. I'd say it's a wicked schedule but my other classes had papers due on the last day and it was rough getting them all done on time, I find I get so burnt out at the end of semesters that its really hard to motivate myself.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #4309
Valhalla

Quote:
Only got one exam, and its on the 16th. Its on the Old Testament so I'm not worried about it. I'd say it's a wicked schedule but my other classes had papers due on the last day and it was rough getting them all done on time, I find I get so burnt out at the end of semesters that its really hard to motivate myself.
I know what you mean. I have 4 exams left and I spent tonight doing pretty much nothing. Ate chocolate and relaxed, then stressed and tried to do things, then couldn't produce the effort, repeat cycle.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #4310
MissCheyenne

There might be an opportunity for me to do some training in floristry after the new year. I hope it works out, even if it's only a couple of days a week. Something to fill up my time would be really good.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #4311
CuckooTuli

Sounds cool, MC. I've always imagined floristry would be really soothing. I think it's the potential for Julie Andrews style singing I see it as holding.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #4312
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I know what you mean. I have 4 exams left and I spent tonight doing pretty much nothing. Ate chocolate and relaxed, then stressed and tried to do things, then couldn't produce the effort, repeat cycle.
I had one exam on the 30th, one on the 6th(Tuesday night) and I have my last two on the 13th in the mourning. I'm glad that they weren't all on the same day. The only paper I had due was the Psych one and it was due in mid-October.

PIX, when you make the Dr. scarf. I don't watch the show, but I like his scarf.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #4313
Saya

A friend of mine is taking an Organized Behaviour course that's in our Business school. Its a high level course and one of the last HR courses business students take. Apparently the text book says stupid shit like "people don't work well together with other people who are different. Its no good trying to change that because it worked for the last 2000 years and you can't fight it." o.O basically, it says that its okay to discriminate.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #4314
Grausamkeit

Saya, it's really fucked up that they would teach that.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #4315
Fruitbat

Val - just remember knitting has a right and wrong side. Always change colours at the same end.

Cast on however you do it, and just knit in garter stitch. You are learning to knit. Scarves are great ways to learn to knit. Remember if it doesn't look right, you can always undo it and start again.

I'm going to make an Elizabeth Bennet dress.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #4316
Valhalla

^^^ That's actually ridiculous. If I end up doing that course, which won't be for a few years from now, I'll have to look out for that part and complain.

For whatever reason I seem to be feeling really crafty lately. For a couple reasons I haven't been able to write anything lately, maybe that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Val - just remember knitting has a right and wrong side. Always change colours at the same end.
I actually didn't know that. Thanks, Fruit.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #4317
Saya

How are you enjoying this ridiculous wind, Val? Its keeping me awake
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #4318
Valhalla

It was insane last night. I sleep in the front bedroom of my house, it turns out it has the most wind off the house noise. The tree outside is pretty noisy too.

I kept hearing this sound. It sounded like someone walking on paper. Being who I am, and it being late, I kept looking to see if there was a ghost, even though I don't really believe in ghosts. Come to think of it though, it would have needed to bring it's own ghost paper to make that kind of sound.

I think it was like a draft blowing against my paper lantern, but it was annoying.

I didn't get to sleep until 330 or so, and I woke up at 6. So today wasn't a good day to have an exam.

What time did you end up falling asleep after? Looks like you were still up until 4. Harsh.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #4319
Saya

I put on a movie after I posted and I'm not sure when I fell asleep.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #4320
Valhalla

I have a terrible time falling asleep to movies/tv. I'll usually end up staying up and watching whatever is on, unless I'm ridiculously tired.

I have a similar problem when it comes to reading before bed.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #4321
Saya

I usually watch MST3K before I go to bed XD sometimes the movie they riff is interesting even if its bad, so I try to pick a more boring one.

Last night I was watching Killers From Space starring a young Peter Graves, and by the time I fell asleep, there had been no killers nor any spacemen yet and I was at least a half hour in.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #4322
honeythorn

For anyone who has bought a vintage real fur *anything* that's a bit ratty/squashed/ matted looking.

Just brush it with a double sided dog brush ( the ones with millions of tiny thin metal pins one side and a bristlebrush the other )

I've just brushed one end of an old fur collar that I couldn't qute identify. I am now relatively certain it's red fox, now that I've brushed away the mattiness into lovely bushy excellence.

I have another to do next in white. I'm not sure what this one is either, I suspect it to be white fox, seems too long for rabbit and too fine for goat.

The difference is astounding after a brushing !
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #4323
MissCheyenne

I really need to sort out my bedroom. I have more stuff than I really have space for. Guess I'm going to have to stop hoarding things and get rid of some stuff. Not my cds though, oh god no. I have spent too much time and too much money on collecting them.

I am your slice of pie
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #4324
Murder.Of.Crows

I feel you. I just started moving and realized just how much crap I actually have.
I don't know what to do with half my crap, but I love it, it's my crap and i don't want to get rid of it.

This will be the 4th time I've moved this year... bleh
Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #4325
MissCheyenne

It's hard because I can think of a reason to keep everything. I've already got rid of loads of stuff and I really don't want to get rid of any more of my stuff but I need to be able to get in my room without climbing over piles of clothes, shoes, boxes and everything else.

I am your slice of pie