Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
JCC

Random.

I'm fed up of people fucking murdering this word. "Oh I'm so random, I throw straws at people and say funny words like 'jizzbrain'"

That's not random!

Something that is random is an effect without a cause, and that can't even fucking happen. Doing something that your stupid friends would classify as 'random' is actually not random at all, because you meant to do it all along.

I hate people who say random. Hate hate hate.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
stolide

I only ever knew one person that was close to random, and that was for one day... He rolled percentile dice to decide his every decision... It was quite funny especially when he responded to questions with phrase that had nothing at all to do with what was asked.

That wasn't really random, but it was the closest thing I've seen.

Other than that I heartily agree with you.
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Mir

I'm so random.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Slap Your Love

Oh Mir you're so random.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Solumina

I use the word random quite a bit, though it is generally in reference to statistical data that I am collecting and/or analyzing so it is actually supposed to be randomized, does that still mean you hate me?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
JCC

It means I hate that you use the word random, but I could never hate you.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Solumina

Yay, I promise to keep the word random in my stats and psych classes
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
a morbid curiosity

My friend's sister says "That's totally random" CONSTANTLY, and shrugs her shoulders as if to reinforce the epic randomness of her statement.

It irritated us so much we started mimicking her every time she did it, and now we keep accidentally misusing the word "random" and we feel really ashamed of ourselves.

She's also one of those people that says "literally" all the time. Grr.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity

She's also one of those people that says "literally" all the time. Grr.
I really hate when people say that. A friend of mine did it for a long time until I started saying "Yeah! Not metaphorically, not symbolically, not allegorically, not figuratively, not theoretically, but literally!" every time she did it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Joker_in_the_Pack

A piano spontaniously falling out of the sky and landing in a city park is random, a person throwing straws and saying nonsensical words is stupid. I share your anger JCC, as I've got a few friends like that.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
Oh Mir you're so random.
Oh HappySlap, you make me hot under the collar.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
honeythorn

You didn't answer my text. Bitch
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
gothicusmaximus

I don't hate people who use the word random, just people who use it incorrectly. A statement or occurrence can be random, but an individual can't. If you and your friends are talking about baseball and suddenly you scream "MELLONSQUIRTS", you have just made a random interjection, but neither you nor your gratingly insipid, contrived personality is 'random'. Relatedly, you're a piece of shit.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
If you and your friends are talking about baseball and suddenly you scream "MELLONSQUIRTS", you have just made a random interjection, but neither you nor your gratingly insipid, contrived personality is 'random'. Relatedly, you're a piece of shit.
Are you refering to people who jump out with unexpected phrases or friends communicating with esoteric references?

What jibes me less is how people restrict their vocabulary with just one phrase to describe a situation with just the word 'random'. Hell, for any occasion they could use "bizzare/odd/queer" but instead limit it to just 'random'. Ih.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
dabbadmc

God, I completely agree. It annoys the fuck out of me. My friend uses it in about every other sentence. Calling something random means that it is not random anymore...and don't get me started on 'randomness.' >.>
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I don't hate people who use the word random, just people who use it incorrectly. A statement or occurrence can be random, but an individual can't. If you and your friends are talking about baseball and suddenly you scream "MELLONSQUIRTS", you have just made a random interjection, but neither you nor your gratingly insipid, contrived personality is 'random'. Relatedly, you're a piece of shit.
That interjection would not be random unless absolutely no cognitive processes went into saying "MELLONSQUIRTS", which is an impossibility. By contemplating it, it becomes a choice, and NOT a random effect.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
That interjection would not be random unless absolutely no cognitive processes went into saying "MELLONSQUIRTS", which is an impossibility. By contemplating it, it becomes a choice, and NOT a random effect.
There's a mental condition which causes people to yell out things without cognitive processes, I forget what it's called though.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 10-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
As long at it's unsolicited and doesn't proceed logically from the conversation at hand, it's random. That's like saying the number drawn from a hat isn't randomly selected because the person who picks it has chosen to pull a number from a hat.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
There's a mental condition which causes people to yell out things without cognitive processes, I forget what it's called though.
Tourettes still wouldn't count as random though, because the processes ARE there, they're just involuntary as far as the mind of the person goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicusmaximus
As long at it's unsolicited and doesn't proceed logically from the conversation at hand, it's random. That's like saying the number drawn from a hat isn't randomly selected because the person who picks it has chosen to pull a number from a hat.
To be random is to lack order, picking a number out of a finite number of possibilities is not random.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
Wednesday Friday Addams

Is anything truly random?
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Joker_in_the_Pack

Random -
proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern

Randomhouse Dictionary.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #22
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
Is anything truly random?
No, which is why I have a personal vendetta with the word. The misconception that selecting a card without wanting a specific one from a deck is random is an annoying mistake, but justifiable. However, the parading around of misuse of the word by alterniteens and idiots makes me so fucking angry.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
To be random is to lack order, picking a number out of a finite number of possibilities is not random.
I think you're transforming 'random' into some sort of unattainable ideal of pure chaos. Look it up, that's not what it is. As long as there is some element of chance involved in a process, some element in which conscious intent doesn't interfere, that process has a random component, and, likewise, any dramatic deviation from the parameters of a certain interaction, such as screaming, unprovoked, about fruit when engaged in a conversation about sports, is a random act.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #24
MollyMac

Most people don't know the difference between ransom and arbitrary and use random because they cna pronounce it and hope that one day Webster's will list it interchangeably.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #25
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
You didn't answer my text. Bitch
I just did!