Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

Pink hair

I just did my hair pink and I'm in love with it. I don't want it to fade, and I also really don't know how to dye just the roots without having to redo the whole thing.
It seems so complicated, is there some kind of easier way that I don't know about?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
She_Is_My_Sin

Whenever I do my roots, I apply the bulk of the dye to them and then comb it through to even it out. I don't really think their is a simple way with hair dye, especially if you're doing it on your own at home.

You didn't put down whether it was a permanent dye or not, but permamnent hair dye does fade, so you will eventually have to re-do all of your hair.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

I've dyed my hair pink many times, so I can probably help you out...first, like SIMS asked, what kind of dye is it?

(also what brand.)
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Graveyard.Crow

It's special effects dye for the pink and obviously bleach first. It's semi permanent I'm guessing.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Solumina

The only advice that I have it to be sure to use shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
shogem

Actually, the less you wash stained hair, the better (if you want the color to last, as temporary colors are stains rather than really dyes). Special Effects and "Punky" are both two brands that have long lasting pinks. If you want to keep it brighter longer, a good way is to mix conditioner with the hair dye and use that as your conditioner maybe every other time you condition.

If you're the type that must wash their hair at least every other day (like me, my hair gets greasy-feeling otherwise and I hate it), redying is something of an inevitability. The conditioner plan works to an extent, I've enjoyed the results I've gotten from it.
shogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
It's special effects dye for the pink and obviously bleach first. It's semi permanent I'm guessing.
Ok, I'm not experienced with that dye, but I'll still give you the advice I can.

First of all, don't overdye it. You might be tempted to dye it again and again all different colours.
Your hair falling out is a real and somewhat likely possibility.

To bleach your roots, just mix up the bleach and massage it into your scalp. That part is pretty simple.

After that, I'd just redye the whole thing pink, as that'll give the roots colour and the rest of the dye a jump in brightness. Make sure you heat process the colour by putting a thin plastic hat on (think shower cap, they'll sell them in beauty supply stores) or wrapping your hair in clingfilm. Use a hairdryer for about a half hour.

Wash your hair with cold water using dye safe shampoos or dye made specifically for colour treated hair. Only wash it as often as necessary.

Also, I'd recommend N'Rage dye or Fudge.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
I Am Great.

Dip yr head in a cotton candy maker.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

N'range, do I have to go to a salon to get that?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Graveyard.Crow

This is the second time I washed it (without shampoo just conditioner) and it still bleeds. I don't really see the color changing all TOO much but it bleeds without any shampoo, so what am I supposed to think? I was under the impression that special effects was supposed to be really good.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
N'range, do I have to go to a salon to get that?
No around where I live.
Sally Beauty Supply.
Or online.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
This is the second time I washed it (without shampoo just conditioner) and it still bleeds. I don't really see the color changing all TOO much but it bleeds without any shampoo, so what am I supposed to think? I was under the impression that special effects was supposed to be really good.
Bleeding is normal, don't worry about it.
That doesn't mean the dye already in your hair is washing out, it means the dye that was on your scalp and behind your ears and whatnot is still there and is washing out.

For the future, the first time you wash your hair after dying it, really rake your nails over your scalp (obviously don't hurt yourself), and shampoo it with a safe shampoo two or three times. Wash it until the water runs clear. That may take quite a while, maybe an hour or so, but at least it'll only bleed a tiny bit next shower, and you'll know you don't have a film of dye on your scalp.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
Graveyard.Crow

It seemed to bleed from my hair not scalp though, like I noticed it when I was washing my face and some of my hair got wet
Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
Solumina

That can happen, especially with reds/pinks, your hair just isn't able to hold all of the dye so some of it comes out when your hair gets wet. That generally means that the color wont last quite as long, it could be your hair or it could be the dye that you used
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #15
Graveyard.Crow

((((((((((((((((((
Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
Solumina

Reds and pinks are the hardest color for hair to hold, it has something to do with the way that the pigment is formed or something. Washing your hair with cold water helps as you hair's cuticle will not open up as much that way and therefore less dye will be able to get out.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
TheBloodEternity

When I had my hair red it was awful. It always faded within the first week.

What I started doing was wearing a shower cap until right before I was getting out of the shower, turning the water colder, and washing it last. But right when I started doing that regularly I switched to black.
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
Graveyard.Crow

I don't know I'm thinking of getting a more bluer type of pink, if I know anything about pigment that is.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #19
Pineapple_Juice

I had my hair pink for a while. It started fading the day I washed it. Then again, I can't recall if I washed it in hot or cold water, and also it took me a while to realize that aquanet has alcohol in it and therefor will strip hair of color. I ended up with fire hair for a while (which was fucking awesome), but it was like the top layer was orange and underneath it was all pink. Funky but the first day I did it it was so awesome.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
Graveyard.Crow

I don't want red, I like mine as it is
Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #21
Pineapple_Juice

Nothing wrong with red hair. I rock the fake red like nobody's business.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #22
shogem

It's not going to turn red, it will simply fade. Special Effects does last a long time, but you need to make it last, so to speak. "A Long Time" depends on how your hair takes color. And, "A Long Time" usually means one month, maybe two if the dye stained well (and it will still be fairly faded by month two).
shogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #23
Apathy's_Child

If you aren't oily-skinned, try only using shampoo once every week or so. I do this myself, the rest of the time I just use conditioner (which seems to clean hair oddly well in my experience). Not only does your color last longer but your hair will be hella shiny. Solumina is right about red based colors fading fastest, and also about the cool water thing.

Coloring also dries your hair, so one of my favorite things to do is leave my conditioner on for aaaages. I always leave mine on for at least te minutes, and once a week I leave deep-con overnight. Seems to work, for all my typical appearance hang-ups I must say I do have very glossy hair. If you keep it in really good condition then you can color more often without frazzling it.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
If you aren't oily-skinned, try only using shampoo once every week or so. I do this myself, the rest of the time I just use conditioner (which seems to clean hair oddly well in my experience). Not only does your color last longer but your hair will be hella shiny. Solumina is right about red based colors fading fastest, and also about the cool water thing.

Coloring also dries your hair, so one of my favorite things to do is leave my conditioner on for aaaages. I always leave mine on for at least te minutes, and once a week I leave deep-con overnight. Seems to work, for all my typical appearance hang-ups I must say I do have very glossy hair. If you keep it in really good condition then you can color more often without frazzling it.
Dat'sh my gf, and I can confirm that her hair does indeed have a glass-like sheen despite being a different color every day of the freakin' week.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #25
Graveyard.Crow

What is a color that stays in the most but still looks kinda funky an unnatural then?