Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Alchemical_Moxie

Hello there.

Hiya. I just found this place. I'll be looking around and reading some threads and generally lurking over the coming weeks, but since I'll likely end up replying to something at some point, I figured it'd only be good manors to introduce myself.

So, basically I'm here because I've always had an (unfortunately underdeveloped) interest in the darker side of things, though due to my thoroughly generic clothing and goofy smartass attitude, most people are surprised by that side of me. Mostly this interest manifests itself by a love of horror films, though in all honesty I prefer atmosphere and creepiness to random jump scares and gratuitous gore.

Anyway, so here I am, checking out the gothic community. Be gentle, it's my first time. :P Oh, and as a warning, on message boards and whatnot I tend to come off as more sarcastic/mean than I really am (or so I've been told). I've been around the block a few times in life, and frankly I've reached the point where I feel that picking fights with people on the internet is kind of a sad waste of time. Go figure, right? Yeah, so if anyone wants to insult me, complain about my occasionally unusual (or even poor) grammar, or whatever, it's your own time you're wasting. I've got better things to worry about.

So here's the questionnaire thingy:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I have a not-terribly-exciting-but-pleasant-enough office job. I like to make stuff (jewelry, leather stuff, etc) and sell it online. I started with an Etsy store but recently made my own store, Alchemical Moxie! (hence the screen name ) I have a category for stuff I make with my own take on the gothic aesthetic, though honestly it's largely based on this weird obsession I have with the black and red color combination, which I believe came from old vampire costume capes which were black with red lining.

I also like to write and have put out a wacky/action packed urban fantasy/soft sci-fi novel called Psychics and Swords: The Amazing and Totally Plausible Adventures of Steve Walton. It's, well... I wouldn't call it good, but I would call it entertaining. I have a new book I've started on, which will be a collection of interlinked adventures with a little bit of horror and steampunk flavor.

2. Where are you from?
I am from fabulous Illinois.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Oy, too many to pick. I'm kind of all over the place on the reading.

4. What are your favorite films?
All time favorites are the Indiana Jones movies (yes, all four of them ), but I tend to most watch movies of the horror, fantasy, sci-fi, or martial arts variety. Also, I do love movies where Godzilla shows up and steps on stuff.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Um... I don't know.

6. At your funeral?
I also don't know.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Quietly in bed. Or else saving a schoolbus full of adorable children from some sort of hideous demonic monster. Whichever.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Honestly? I've always kind of wanted to just get stuck in a wooden box and buried out in the middle of some big, dark old forest.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Anything that's comfy. I tend towards earthtones, with some dark gray and black thrown into the mix. *shrug* Nothing exciting, nothing much gothy. Going back to my answer to question #4, I used to have most of an Indiana Jones outfit (who's the closest thing to a fashion idol I've had, I guess), and still wear the bits and pieces that suit me personally (jacket, shoulder bag, shoes, and hat, though I'm sadly between hats at the moment).

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
The complete and total lack of responsibility.

11. What's your favorite band?
Nine Inch Nails. Probably not a terribly original answer around here, but what can I say? And the older and grouchier I get, the more I appreciate it. I also love David Bowie, Enigma, the Beatles and Oingo Boingo. I guess those would be my ultimate top five favorites.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
All over the place...

13. Why did you join?
Well, as I said, gothicness is an area I've had some interest in for some time now. But outside of the teenagers hanging out at the Hot Topic in the mall where I used to work, I really haven't had much contact with this particular subculture. And I'm all for learning about subcultures and whatnot.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
I'm a guy.
Alchemical_Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Sinjob

Welcome mayne, pretty decent intro. And no need to worry about Nine Inch Nails being a generic answer if they're genuinely your favorite band. <3 me some Bowie and Boingo, too.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Alchemical_Moxie

Thanks! And good choices.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
OnyxBat

Hi welcome to Gnet
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Fruitbat

Welcome.

Had a quick look at your jewellery. Love it. (going to have to have a closer look at a few pieces).

Indiana Jones - I wanted to be him when I grew up! I call my cats Godzilla and Gamera when they play fight, because they don't care what they roll over the top of!
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Alchemical_Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Welcome.

Had a quick look at your jewellery. Love it. (going to have to have a closer look at a few pieces).

Indiana Jones - I wanted to be him when I grew up! I call my cats Godzilla and Gamera when they play fight, because they don't care what they roll over the top of!
Thanks

I'd love to see cats fight like Godzilla. My brother's cat fights just he did when we were little - sneak attacks and general bullying. It's kind of funny how similar they are.

And just because I'm grown up doesn't mean that I don't still want to be Indy. Hehehe.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Hearts_Purple

You don't seem like a prick, so welcome.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemical_Moxie View Post
Thanks

I'd love to see cats fight like Godzilla. My brother's cat fights just he did when we were little - sneak attacks and general bullying. It's kind of funny how similar they are.

And just because I'm grown up doesn't mean that I don't still want to be Indy. Hehehe.
They sit back, like a meerkat on their hindlegs, and uselessly swat their front legs at each other. Of course I do the mature thing and yell "Fight, Fight" and "No vet bills please" and put on a very bad Japanese accent and say "ohh Gamera"

I'm still waiting to grow up, and I've been at life for almost twice as long as you
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
PortraitOfSanity

Where in Illinois?

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 AM   #10
Alchemical_Moxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Where in Illinois?
Far northern suburbs. That's about as detailed as I'm willing to get on a new message board.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Magila

Welcome to Gnet, interesting intro, and NIN are great, so is Indiana Jones, i am also glad to see more people here who have "responsibilities" going in their lives.

Enjoy it here comrade
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemical_Moxie View Post
Far northern suburbs. That's about as detailed as I'm willing to get on a new message board.
Ahh ok. My parents are in Hinsdale.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote