Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Edward Strange

Industrial Strength

Oi oi,
The other day I was walking a very pretty young alternative lady back to her halls of residence when we started talking about clubs. As a rule I don't 'do' clubs, I just don't... Get it. And I told her so and asked her what it was I was supposed to be getting exactly.
She said she loved to dance and that was pretty much it, this lady not being a fan of the 'mating rituals' that go on and around the dancefloor.
So she asked me what it would take to make me dance, as she is fond of her metal.

And I thought about this and ended up deciding on something stompy, like you know, that Industrial stuff.
Anyway, we got to her room, I didn't get a hug which was something of a let down and I went back to my room thinking that "Hang on a minute, I don't actually -have- any industrial music."

So I was wondering if anyone could introduce me to the Industrial genre at all? And recommend some good groups?
All that I have is a Wumpscut song and the only song from Einstrusme Neubaten (or however the hell you spell it) I like, which is a shame because I've tried lots of times to get into them but ended up being more than a little weirded out from time to time.

Anyway.
Could anyway please give me a lay-man's guide on how to get into industrial music? I'm looking to whet my musical whistle.
Thankyou for reading!

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Elliot

A very accesable industrial rock group is called Acumen Nation. They were also known as just Acumen for a while.

Their memers have various side projects, including one called DJ? Acucrack, which is industrial/drum&bass that you might enjoy.

^^my post-rock/ambient band
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
electrosexual

Combichrist.

They're one of the most popular bands in the field, and in my opinion the best.

www.myspace.com/combichrist.

You'll just LOVE this shit will fuck you up :]

Everyone does.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Green.Lady

KMFDM is a very popular one. These are also good to know: My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, Razed in Black, etc. etc. Deathstars are popular. Midnight Assembly, perhaps. Nitzer Ebb and Kidneythieves are industrial-y as well.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Stormtrooper of Death

I agree with Green Lady (for once). KMFDM is definately my favorite industrial group and they are very good. Orgy, Front 242 and definately FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
maggot

I think I was just offended. Especially the part where you made fun of my favorite band's name.

Also the part where non-industrial bands were named.
At least no one said NIN. Eugh.

If you like Einsturzende Neubauten [read: that band you were an asshole about] download their album "Haus Der Luge," it's their most rock oriented album. You'll probably like it the most.
You should also check out Test Dept.
If you like Test Dept, check out Der Blutharsch, which is technically classified as 'military pop,' 'martial industrial,' or 'martial music'.

If you like that, check out stuff like later-era Current 93 and Death In June, which is Neofolk/Apocoyptic Folk, which resembles Martial Music to a degree.

If you just want a bunch of electronic post-industrial stuff check out old-school EBM. Steer clear of new-school; it's disgusting raver crap.

Some good old-school EBM bands are Poupaee Fabrikk, Liaisons Dangereuses, Front 242 (of course), and Nitzer Ebb.

If you want the industrial rock variant, check out Die Krupps and Killing Joke, as well as KMFDM, of course.

I've always grouped Skinny Puppy and Wumpscut in the same boat.

There is your little introduction thing.
It was a one-off. :B
Old 11-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Saddiction

Fak you maggz! I'm jammin to some pretty sweet futurepop ;D
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
Green.Lady

I smell elitism.

Just kidding, maggot simply knows how to pwn all of us... I know a lot of the bands I listed weren't strictly industrial, but I figured he'd like 'em. The girl he's trying to impress probably doesn't know any better, as he said she was a metalhead...
Deliver me a paper
Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
I think I was just offended. Especially the part where you made fun of my favorite band's name.

If you like Einsturzende Neubauten [read: that band you were an asshole about] download their album "Haus Der Luge," it's their most rock oriented album. You'll probably like it the most.
If you like Test Dept, check out Der Blutharsch, which is technically classified as 'military pop,' 'martial industrial,' or 'martial music'.

If you like that, check out stuff like later-era Current 93 and Death In June, which is Neofolk/Apocoyptic Folk, which resembles Martial Music to a degree.

If you just want a bunch of electronic post-industrial stuff check out old-school EBM. Steer clear of new-school; it's disgusting raver crap.

Some good old-school EBM bands are Poupaee Fabrikk, Liaisons Dangereuses, Front 242 (of course), and Nitzer Ebb.

If you want the industrial rock variant, check out Die Krupps and Killing Joke, as well as KMFDM, of course.

I've always grouped Skinny Puppy and Wumpscut in the same boat.

There is your little introduction thing.
It was a one-off. :B
If I may, can I pop in to add some Clock DVA, SPK, Lucrate Milk, Knifeladder, Die Warzau, and Foetus to that pot and stir it?
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #10
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:

If you like Test Dept, check out Der Blutharsch, which is technically classified as 'military pop,' 'martial industrial,' or 'martial music'.....(and lots more)

PWNED!!!!!!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
electrosexual

Chances are that if we introduce ES to EN, Die Krupps, Nitzer Ebb, TG etc etc we'd scare him off!

I'd suggest listening to some "Futurepop" first, Edward. It's not industrial as such, but it's very popular on the club scene. Check out VNV Nation, and code 64 :]

Then I'd suggest listening to the likes of Combichrist, KMFDM, Lights Of Euphoria etc.

And after that you can move onto the harsher, voice distorted stuff like Grendel, Suicide Commando, Hocico, Unter null etc.

And then listen to NOISE! ^^
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
Green.Lady

I agree with electro.

By the way, I love the new pic. Very hawt.

I totally posted just to say that.
Deliver me a paper
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
KontanKarite

Modulate and The Azoic. Actually... yeah... fuck it. The Azoic has some good lyrics, but you'll probably lose goth points for listening to them.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
maggot

Listen to the stuff I said. I mean, seriously. Aggrotek? Hocico sounds like grendel sounds like god module sounds like unter null sounds like suicide commando.

You'll never get to real industrial on that shit. All you'll find yourself t is gabber and digital hardcore, which, as much as I love them, are not industrial.

Although I do agree that starting off on more pop-oriented stuff would be better for easing into industrial.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
wonderland

It's actually Einstürzende Neubauten if we're going to get technical. Umlaut: not just for decoration. =)
wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #16
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Listen to the stuff I said. I mean, seriously. Aggrotek? Hocico sounds like grendel sounds like god module sounds like unter null sounds like suicide commando.
*insert look of confusion* So...crap? If I get a prize, I call dibs on the freezer with $50 worth of Shasta in it.
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
maggot

Yeah, pretty much. :B

I don't have an umlaut key on hand, Wonderland
Old 11-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
wonderland

Quote:
I don't have an umlaut key on hand, Wonderland
If you have a Mac, you can go into your system preferences and add German as a language for your keyboard to recognize. Then you can type with umlauts to your heart's content. If you don't, you'd probably have to go hunting down those alt-code thingies.

...Sometimes, when I'm bored at work, I set some of the computers on the floor to type in Finnish. It amuses me more than it should. /random
wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #19
Edward Strange

Thankyou all for your wise and sage advise, I'm currently nodding my head to some Combichrist and really enjoying it!
I've just started to download alot of the industrial you have all suggested and I'm really getting into it. So thankyou once again.

And I really didn't mean to upset anyone with the E. Neubaten comment, I just didn't know how to spell it. And while I do enjoy the music, it's just a bit... Much, you know? Especially their earlier stuff, which I do see myself enjoying one day once I've sat down and given it a proper listen and developed an ear to appreciate such things better.

And I think I might just have to steal your idea Wonderland.

Anyway, thank you!

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
maggot

You can work up to the glory that is Einsturzende Neubauten :P