Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Dead Angel

The ruining of language... part two.. complain about anything.

`This is mostly a thread for bitching about language that is beinbg ruined, weither by being remade into degenerate forms, or worlds being stolen.

I'd NEVER use the world 'Gay' in the origional contexzt.. but damnation.. those fucking queers didn't need to steal oen of the two usable words for HAPPY! I mean.. usually the world happy odesn't fit when the word 'gay' woudl have been used. Fucking slimeballs... compare that to the word 'Lesibian' from the name of the island where lesbians were exiled to proably die; Lesbos. At least that is origional!

And 'Have it your way'.. can I kill either George Lucas for KotOR and Mission's end statement or Burger sling? Yes.. this is making a good game seem... blase.

'hella cool'. Thank you south park! Gods.. I hate 'hella cool'. Isn't 'cool' enough?

What words or phrases your have a bitch about?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
CreepyTendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofatragedy
I suggest you stop right here. This site does not appreciate the hate you have just posted. We accomadate many differents races, and preferences at this site. So shut your shit, it won't fly here.
Thank you! That post was out of line.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
tenet_2012

I am gay. i didn't "steal" the word. It was used to describe homosexuals before I was born.

I guess you hate that lesbians "stole" dike as well then, huh? What about fag?

--Geisha
Old 04-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
What about fag?
Yeah, goddamnit, *now* how am I supposed to refer to a small ground pile of tobacco leaves? Jebus...
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Angel
`This is mostly a thread for bitching about language that is beinbg ruined, weither by...origional contexzt...oen....usually the world happy odesn't....woudl....proably....origional!
Quite apart from the ridiculous homophobia you're spewing, I had to laugh at the spellings in a thread about language being ruined (or should that be "beinbg ruined"?) Learn to type before making yourself look any more of a fool - if that's even possible.

Edit: I won't even start on "What words or phrases your have a bitch about?"

~ Wei Hui
Old 04-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
succubus,queenofvampires

Almost all words have multiple meanings, and the usage of the word "gay" to refer to homosexuals has been around for so long that I don't think you can consider it as ruining language.

Now, in my opinion, I think that netspeak is the number one culprit. For example, people now use "U" in advertisements and song titles and lots of other places just because they think it's "cool" and will attract people.
Also, once in my English class, a student asked my teacher whether it was obligatory to capitalize "I", the pronoun, when it's not at the beginning of the sentence!! The teacher was about to hit her.And so was I.

N3TSPE4K 15 T3H SUCK!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Icarian Decoding

N3+$P34k 1$ 1337, f00.

I say English language, is evolving, not degrading. Sure, it's becoming a bit shorter, and thing's meanings are changing, but I'm betting that's the same thing the Germans were thinking, when we took some of their words. And we can also bitch about how originally English too words from German, Latin, French I believe, Greek, etc. Nothing in English, to my knowledge, is original, save slang, and even then it's not really original.

Yeah, goddamnit, *now* how am I supposed to refer to a small ground pile of tobacco leaves? Jebus...
Joint? No that's Marijuana...
Uh... A Cigarette?

'hella cool'. Thank you south park! Gods.. I hate 'hella cool'. Isn't 'cool' enough?
I say 'Hella Cool' alot. Why? Because it describes things better then it could as just, 'Cool'.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Engulfed_in_darkness

Yeah. Like the word "nigga". Ruining our language. I live in a majority of minority races and if a "white boy" or "spanish boy" were to say it the bacls would get mad. But Ive seen plenty of gangster wanna-be dominicans and puerto-ricans use the word and get instant gratification. IT DISGUSTS ME.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Don't listen to Dead Angel.
He has never made any contribution to the site, and has been (at the least least) mildly offensive in half of his posts.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Nardol

Wow, I had previously not realized why a person might need an ignore list.

As for the evolution of language and entymologies, the most interesting thing that I know (in my opinion) is that the name Brandon is very unusual in that it's origin is derogatory, unlike most other names. It is from gaelic and it's roots mean "smelly haired".

PS Leet sucks. Grow up. Go to post-secondary education and realize that accuracy in language is beneficial in any field which does not involve carry out or express lanes.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #11
angel_dark_demon_bright

Dead Angel, I've one thing to say to you, Learn to type.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Icarian Decoding

I'm bored, so I feel like ranting.

On the internet, there is one supposed abomination for speech. It's not speaking another language, or even a made-up one (Klingon, anyone?), encryption, or the usage of slang, but the simple replacement of letters with numbers and symbols. Seemingly, this small enigma has enraged, many, many internet-goers.

One would wonder why a phrase, "1 r 1337", would piss off so many people? Perhaps it is because it's stupid, and used by morons. Perhaps it's commonly associated with being a "Jackass", and pissing people off. It might even be due to the fact, that most people who use "Leet" speak, can't carry on a conversation with proper grammar rules.

With the above information, it would lead one to the conclusion, that all who use leet speak are moronic jackass-like illiterates. Not so, I say. Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this.

Leetspeak has several purposes. First, and most likely foremost, is pure decoration. It is much more aesthetic, personally, to read "+H3 h4x0r", then to read "The Hacker". To me, it shows the person has taken the time to plan out each word, and to come up with a combonation of symbols and numbers that look like the original word. While 'Haxor' isn't a word per say, that is due more to the culture, then anything.

Second, it seemingly shows an interest in the internet, and the culture itself. While some of the generally "Higher-Up" users have abandoned this activity, it is still the primary bread and butter of usernames, AOL, and many, many online games. For instance, I remember playing a game of Counter-Strike, when nothing but leetspeak was used. Why? Because everyone could communicate and torture each other with it, and the words were understood.

Third, it shows the person is taking time to have fun. Sure, it may not be the most grammarically correct thing on the internet, but it's still fun. Coming up with entire sentences has been incorporated into competitions, including the above mentioned games.

Saying Leetspeak sucks, has also been based on one's concept of superiority due to their typing poweress. Contrary to the common myth, having better typing skills does not make you a better person, a smarter person, nor does it make you have a larger penis. Sure, it wouldn't pass on any college essay, but last time I checked, a bulletin board, isn't Harvard either. While accuracy is good for the real world, I doubt we are being judged in forums, based on the typing prowess. It's my belief, that someone should be better in a forum based on the content, not the presentation.

So, in basic terms: B1+3 /\/\3.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
Nardol

To some of us they always will be. And gross little teeth rotters too.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #14
Circle V

I'm convinced that peeps are made from "jet-puff" marshmallow machine scrapings. I'd say the same about people who use the other definition without any hint of irony, but it would be giving them too much credit.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:22 AM   #15
Engulfed_in_darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
Language evolves. Usually out of stupidity rather than actual progress. Then there is assimilated slang. "Bling", anyone? Hence, Webster adding "Irregardless" to the dictionary.

Words adapt. Gay used to mean merry. Then to homosexual, ann in the actual homosexual person. Nor it's a pejorative referring to something as being of a homosexual slant.

(Ir)Regardless, if the lexicon never evolved, including the re-adaptation of words to new proscribed (usually derogatory, have you noticed?) meanings, then we'd all speak in grunts and clicks like Dead Angel.

Have a nice fucking day, queefsniff.
Sort of like the word "otaku" in japanese. It once meant house,then you, then anime fans, the creepy dangerous perverted ones(Huge history behind the word I dont feel like explaining right now),then just anime fans again, then supid big fat loser and all the rest like the word "gay" currently. I just happen to be an otaku myself in the crazy obsessed anime fan way. So nowadays you must be specific to how you say the word. If mean it in the way I said you MUST say "anime-otaku" lest someone believe youre putting youself down by calling yourself a loser.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
my.soul.is.black.

bush suks and i think he is the one that is at the war instead of young solders with familys
Old 04-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my.soul.is.black.
bush suks and i think he is the one that is at the war instead of young solders with familys
Look fast!! It's a...
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #18
my.soul.is.black.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
Look fast!! It's a...
what r u talking about
Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #19
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Angel

I'd NEVER use the world 'Gay' in the origional contexzt.. but damnation.. those fucking queers didn't need to steal oen of the two usable words for HAPPY! I mean.. usually the world happy odesn't fit when the word 'gay' woudl have been used. Fucking slimeballs...
What words or phrases your have a bitch about?
I can't believe no one mentioned this steaming pile of crap to me before.

We've started a collection to get you a much needed Vasectomy.

*Thread Closed*
Closed Thread