Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
HauntingMist

I'm sure some hardcore Britney Spears fans also like The Beatles. It happens, and it's not worth crying over.
HauntingMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #27
LivingInAToolbox

"Progressive" being a genre in itself is a paradox (i.e. absolute bullshit).
LivingInAToolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #28
Catch

Personally I like Gershwin, Litz and Hayden. If you listen to their music, it isn't far off from the preferred music of the 21st century.

The real question is why Godslayer Jillian is so infactuated with people who listen to classical music? These insults won't get you anywhere.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #29
steerpyke

Classical music is a massive term and is broken down into era's that define its major influences and directions but I find that you can easily parallel it to the way we categorise modern music. Wagner is the Heavy Metal of its day, Strauss the dance band, Berlioz the prog rock etc etc.

To say "I like classical music" is almost as vague as saying "I like music"
steerpyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #30
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
After reading a resurrected thread of "Classical" music I've discovered something about myself.
It pisses me off that most of the world think that anything that has an orchestra and fucking violins is Classical.
How many people mention an endless list of shitty bands with no musical value whatsoever and then try to justify said shitty musical tastes by saying they also enjoy 'classical music', as if saying that means that they are really connoisseurs and their preferences in bands is somehow validated. Metalheads have an absurdly high ratio of this fuckers.
But do they really enjoy classical music?
No.
They can't even distinguish between Classical and Baroque. They just think, "oooh, violins, pretty! Oooh, an instrument I didn't know even existed; I'm sophisticated!"

What kind of people did they list as 'classical' in just that thread?
Back, Vivaldi, Liszt, Chopin, Brahms, Verdi?

Two Baroques and four Romantics?

The only Classical composers people ever guess correctly are Mozart and Beethoven, and Beethoven's classical works are shit compared to the passion of his evolved Romantic latter style. Poor Haydn doesn't even get a honorable mention nowadays.

But who cares, huh? They all sound the same lol
I'm just a prick trying to look better than anyone else, as if countless of posers didn't mention 'classical' composers to find validation and admiration for oh so high brow culture. At least I got my shit straight.

If you can't hear the chasm of difference between Vivaldi and Chopin; the worlds apart that are early Beethoven and later Beethoven; if you can't see how Tchaikovsky is much better than the rest combined...
then no; you don't like 'classical music', you just like the idea of being the kind of person that likes classical music.
I've never read a post that made me want to fuck someone so hard. I absolutely fucking agree.

Who the hell have you met that can't tell between Vivaldi and Chopin? Shit, who can't tell between anyone and Chopin, he's pretty easy to pick out, he's like Dragon Force of the piano (tongue in cheek, please don't crucify me).

Somehow, I knew you'd love Tchaikovsky the best, though Hayden is amazing, and I'm saddened that Schubert wasn't mentioned any way shape or form, since he's in the Romantic period I believe but was heavily influenced by Classical, particularly Beethoven.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #31
strange_pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Sorry, that was a spelling error. But no, in fact, classical is too different from baroque and romantic for you to say "all the music above is classical"
Especially in such a place as this where people say shit like "this is not darkwave, it's aggrotech" or even worse "this is not death symphonic metal, it's viking melodic metal"
I hate sub-genres. Seriosuly, you can't even talk to someone in a club without them saying "well,actually, that's futerpop, not synthpop...no, this isn't industrial, it's dark electro,"...SHUT THE F@$K UP ALREADY!!!!!!

Well, I like classical and apperently Baroque and Romantic as well. You learn something new everyday, thanks Jillian!
strange_pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #32
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_pleasure
I hate sub-genres.
Goth is a subgenre, I bet you kick up the same fuss as everyone else when someone says Nightwish is goth.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #33
PortraitOfSanity

I dunno, I guess I'm the opposite in clubs. I can't fucking stand the kids (though they're not always kids) who don't know dick about the music, they're just there to look trendy.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #34
strange_pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Goth is a subgenre, I bet you kick up the same fuss as everyone else when someone says Nightwish is goth.

No I don't -that's like getting pissy everytime someone says MM is goth...over it and never really cared in the first place.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #35
strange_pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I dunno, I guess I'm the opposite in clubs. I can't fucking stand the kids (though they're not always kids) who don't know dick about the music, they're just there to look trendy.
True, and I agree. On the otherhand, I don't need some cyber moron giving me shit because I don't know what the hell cybergrind is, or the difference between power noise and aggrotech. Like I care anyway...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #36
strange_pleasure

doesn't anyone other than me find these idiots annoying as hell?

Or, maybe i'm just a bitch and too old for the club scene LOL
Old 01-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #37
PortraitOfSanity

I know what you're saying, but I can't relate, I always over analyze everything.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #38
Catch

CLASSICAL MUSIC ROCKS!!!

wOOOOOOOOO!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #39
a morbid curiosity

^

???!

:s
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #40
Catch

Yeah ! ! !
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #41
Joker_in_the_Pack

I think we broke Catch. We had such a huge Catch hatefuck fest that we turned her into a troll. How fun.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #42
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
I think we broke Catch. We had such a huge Catch hatefuck fest that we turned her into a troll. How fun.
I think she may already have been a troll.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #43
Tralis

I think it very much depends on context. If I'm talking with a fellow Goth about what genre Alien Sex Fiend is, I want to communicate more information about their style than just saying "Goth Rock" so I might define them as "Horror Punk, sorta like Bauhaus". Its more descriptive than the general term, which could potentially include other bands that sound very different like Switchblade Symphony. If I'm talking with someone who has no knowledge of Goth music, calling Alien Sex Fiend "Goth Rock" is plenty descriptive, more detail would just be confusing. Even still, Alien Sex Fiend is "Rock Music" in comparison to Hip-Hop or Jazz. It all depends on how precise you want to be.

I think its exactly the same thing with Symphonic Music. In the context of comparing Tchaikovsky to Pachelbel Classical music is not a helpful term, one is Romantic, the other Baroque. In a more broad context, such as comparing it with Alien Sex Fiend, both are Classical, the comparison doesn't warrant as much detail.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #44
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
I think she may already have been a troll.
I have a hard time telling whether Catch is actually retarded or she just acts that way to get a rise out of people.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #45
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I miss Catch's Foamy the Squirrel avatar "You're all ugly". That gave her some sense of coolness.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote