Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #1176
Binkie

Syriana

Reviewers that are utter assholes seemed to have thrown in the idea that this movie was based off of the book "See No Evil," by Robert Baer, a former CIA case officer.

Having read that, I figured I would have come in and seen a movie that was based around real events this guy had encountered (as that's what his book is about). Especially with the thematic tag-line, "How the CIA lost the Middle East." Far from it, as it's completely made up. This film's plot is so implausable it's not even funny. The sad thing is they try to make it seem real by basing it around real figures such as the Saudi Royal Family. Only thing it has to do with Baer is a reference to "memos."

Idea behind the film: the CIA does the dirty work for Big Oil. It goes so far as to suggest that the Iraq war was entirely based on the idea that we just wanted their oil fields. Someone want to do the math for me? Calculate how many years of Iraqi oil imports it's going to take to pay off a 2 trillion dollar bill? It's just utter crap that's pushed so far, it just goes beyond the realm of believability.

Hezbollah guerillas are depicted like a community-friendly gang that saves the day and is completely tight with the CIA officers that are in their country supposedly assassinating muslims. And of course it's totally plausable that they would throw an Iranian agent out on his ass in the middle of an interrogation session of a US intelligence agent. R-i-g-h-t. Oh wait, I almost forgot to mention that the very CIA agent they're tight with, is in fact a man who "infiltrated their organization in '85" to provide valuable intelligence.

I don't want to give away a whole lot of info on the movie, but I do want it cleared up that this is a film based on ENTERTAINMENT and has nothing to do with real events or a realistic portrayl of the CIA or it's operations.

I'm still baffled as to why I was surrounded by teen couples in the theater. Half of them had to walk out in the middle of it cause they couldn't understand a damn thing going on. Confusing? Yes. The whole movie is a series of convoluted sub-plots in which many of the characters' roles are not given to people straight up. You just have to figure it out, which is what they use to tie this into real political figures of today. Clooney, at one point, ends up in a metting with a woman AWFULLY reminiscent of Rice, but of course they never said that was Rice. Just like they gave locations for every country, state, and city where events took place, except for Saudi Arabia, since they were portraying the Royal Family. So basically you had to fill that one in everytime it refered to a location as, "The Persian Gulf." At that, it pisses me off cause they fucked up the port of Rahimah like no one's business. Argh! I loved Traffic the mini-series, but this film just pissed me off so incredibly bad. Maybe it's just the way it was marketed (i.e. "A smart film," "based on the book by...," etc.), I don't know. Wasn't a winner for me.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #1177
cannibalnuns

The Prophecy.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #1178
Saya

Hostel. Must...warn...the....public......worst...movie.... ever.

Seriously though. Twas silly.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #1179
MedicGirl

Scent of a Woman
Old 01-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #1180
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya

O0o0o do tell..

I have been itching to talk to someone that has seen it. After all the Hype about "THE MOST BRUTAL MOVIE EVER MADE!!!", I figured it was going to suck Donkey Balls.

Please Share the tragedy with the folks here at home..

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #1181
reachingupforair

The Excorsim of Emily Rose Very good movie. I like the questions it raises. You can't watch it without a great discussion afterwards
reachingupforair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #1182
Natasshha

At the moviess HOSTEL (wow, that was surprising!!!) and rented in DVD THE MAN with Samuel Jackson and he other guy very funny (it was a good movie, very funny).

I bouth Emily rose for my dad, it was very nice, I could not sleep well after that day but I'm getting better!!!...hehehe

Nati
Natasshha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #1183
Natasshha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya

Hhehehehehe... haaa it is not that bad tough, it is not like SAW that was amazing, but it is watchable (i dont even know if that is a word), whatever PURPLE STARS you sould watch it and see for yourself if it is that bad or the contraty.

Nati
Natasshha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #1184
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasshha

whatever PURPLE STARS you sould watch it and see for yourself if it is that bad or the contraty.

Nati
There is very little worse than a Pocho like you that doesn't respect their OWN heritage. Therefore your opinion means jack and shit to me. You don't even rate being called a racist.

Next time you get a special urge to give me advice, say "Puedo comer vidrio, no me duele" until you believe it..

Thanks for Playin..

Buh-Bye.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #1185
AlKilyu

contraty to popular belief, I licked SWA and think PURPLE STARS sould wath it agian.
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #1186
urian

WE watched the Brother's Grimm a few nights ago. I rate it an EH..
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #1187
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
O0o0o do tell..

I have been itching to talk to someone that has seen it. After all the Hype about "THE MOST BRUTAL MOVIE EVER MADE!!!", I figured it was going to suck Donkey Balls.

Please Share the tragedy with the folks here at home..

Well, they didn't even show that much gore. Like in the preview when you see the pliers going around the girl's toe? They don't show him tearing it off. The screen goes blank and you hear her scream. And a girl gets her eye torn out, but it looks kinda funny. Afterwards, you can still see the outline of her eye under the blood. The grossest part was probably when a guy had a drill stuck in him. I couldn't watch that ^_^ But it all looked pretty fake.

Plus for the first half hour of the movie all they are doing is going around Europe picking up hookers. Its like they thought, "Okay, the gore was pretty bad, but instead of improving on that we are going to show as much sex and nudity as we possibly can." Which is fine and dandy, but thats not why I went to go see it ^_^ And they don't spend much time at all in the torture chamber. A guy and girl escape and the rest of the movie they are running away from them. You only see three people getting tortured, and not for long at all.

Its just one of those movies you rent to laugh at, not a theatre movie. Seriously, everyone in the theatre was cracking jokes and laughing the whole time.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #1188
WolfMoon

Geez, guys I always thought Silence of the Lambs was a love story.

Guess I won't be bothering to watch 'Hostel', meh.......
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #1189
swt&inc angel??

so your saying that hostel...what... had no plot or atleast a really sucky plot?? hmmm no Im not so sure I want to see it. I dont know I might get it.
swt&inc angel?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #1190
Beowulf

Carrie (1975)

I just love this adaption of Stephen kings story, Brian de Palma did a fantastic job on it.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #1191
Sev666

man underworld was pretty wicked but underworld evoluotion will be better more of the half vamp half liken guy
Sev666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #1192
Mr E Nigma

Out Cold (2001)

If you haven't seen it, definately rent it, get a few friends together, and have lots of laughs. That movie is hilarious.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #1193
tekajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
....Beckinsale got naked…

That is all.

Reason enough for me to watch it.

i mean..yeah, the action too...but...Kate nekkid?
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #1194
cannibalnuns

The Name of the Rose
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 AM   #1195
FenrisQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
Geez, guys I always thought Silence of the Lambs was a love story.
Wolfmoon, words cannot describe the flow of emotion I felt when I read that. It could have, however been the Dr.Pepper that squirted out of my nose.
You are an inspiration to lesser beings such as myself.

Oh, yeah. On to the topic. I saw Brokeback Mountain at the Rialto (which does a lovely live version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show) tonight, and I am man (or woman, or whatever) enough to say that it made me cry. Profusely.
Plus, two major hotties getting it on in a movie? Just tell me where and when and I'll bring the hot wax. Or handcuffs. Or whatever.
Truth, justice, honor...none of that's worth shit. What matters is people, and people aren't honest or just or honorable. They're petty and they're angry and they're afraid, and all anyone really wants, deep down, is to be wanted. And what's truth to that?
FenrisQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #1196
Beowulf

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

This film rules !!!.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #1197
Binkie

Red Eye

Not impressed. The film sorta starts out like it has it's act together, but then after about 15 minutes, whatever felt geniune about it dissolves into familiarity. Familiarity soon dissolves into implausibility. At that point I sorta just opened up the ol' skull cap and removed my brain so I could attempt to enjoy the rest of the film. This may have been new in some aspects for Wes Craven, but as a member of the audience, it sure felt like an echo of many other "airplane suspense" movies. Had most of the same plot points as most others (I'd be amazed if an airplane movie actually didn't involve the bathroom for once as a means for escape or help).

At the very least though, there is some attempt to explain certain things, like why it's taking more than five minutes for the police to arrive at a crime scene in an upper middle class neighborhood. But for the most part, every other logical question is clumsily tripped over and forgotten in the wake of, "What's next?" Like why a character that committed a multitude of federal and state crimes isn't brought in for questioning after the authorities arrive, but instead, allowed to travel to the site of an ongoing federal investigation that she wasn't at previously and just walk around freely.

It's a "OK" movie. Forgettable though. Flight Plan held much more of my interest.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #1198
Beowulf

The Untouchables (1987, D. Brian De Palma)

Old 01-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #1199
Disfunction

The latter half of Super Troopers, and the sequel to Underworld. I quite liked the sequel to Underworld.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #1200
swt&inc angel??

Was it a good movie? Also when does it come out on video I so want to see it. Too poor to go to the movies. Im laid off till the summer.
swt&inc angel?? is offline   Reply With Quote