Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
BlacKat

So...hats?

Kitty and her new short hair have decided that she really ought to try out some hats. The trouble is, kitty does not actually know anyone who wears anything other than baseball caps. Kitty has been eyeing the lovely victorian top hats and tricorns and wanting to wear them.

The problem: Kitty has no idea how one wears a hat without looking silly. Kitty does not really want to drop money and time on a hat without knowing that it will look good.
BlacKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Saya

Thats why you try them on in a store!

I have some bad hats. That said, knitted caps usually go over very well. I would say get one that shows some hair, though, might have been mistaken for a chemo patient once or twice :/

Also, cloches are ADORABLE.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
BlacKat

Cloches are good. Knitted caps...not with my usually skirt/blouse combo. I'm good at adding lace/tulle/feathers/flowers/whatever else.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Alan

With this weather?
You disgust me.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
BlacKat

Well how else do you expect to keep the sun off your head in this weather?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
ape descendant

You could try a tribly hat, with their highish crowns and short brims, the lend themselves to some rather fun embellishments. Another fun sort of hat to play with is the pillbox, looks like it sounds, lends itself to lace and net veils. If you're super adventurous you could check out some vintage or antique styles like a beret or a stovepipe bonnet.

My personal favorite style is the wide brim straw hat, as they're really awesome for keeping the sun off of my face and neck, good for gardening or just generally being a weirdo about town. Possibilities with this sort of hat are many and diverse, veils, hatbands, flowers, feathers or just whatever strange kitch is handy. You can also fashion them into other styles of bonnet, youtube has some awesome videos demonstrating this.

Hats are totally awesome.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat View Post
Well how else do you expect to keep the sun off your head in this weather?
Which is important to do! Aside from being susceptible to heat stroke, I've also had my scalp burned. Unless you're bald you can't exactly put sunscreen on your crown.

Ooooh you should get a straw cloche hat, you'd look so cute.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
MissCheyenne

I just got a black cloche style hat, added some flowers to it and it looks sweet. It was either that or a red top hat but sadly, I don't have many places to wear a red top hat to

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Grausamkeit

Well, some time this year I'm going to buy one of those hats that Carl McCoy wears. Not the same hats that he's worn, but that style. I don't know what the style is called.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
Ms.Nelle

What really makes Carl McCoy's hat is the long veil. I feel really odd wearing a hat too. I have tons, no joke I have a least 60 hats, crowns, or hair pieces. Most I have never worn they just look neat. The easist hat to wear is a big brimmed sun hat. I really love the styles from the 1910's to 1940's. Just with nowhere to go and bright colors they really stand out and I feel like they don't fit, or my hair isn't styled right for the hat. I think I just dont really know how to wear each style.
Ms.Nelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
BlacKat

My main problem with hats (and really, any more extravagant piece) is that I rather tend to end up with the "kid on halloween" look. Which is not aided by the fact that I'm very small and do look rather young.

Which reminds me of the other problem I have with hats - size. I typically wear a children's size hat, and I have yet to find somewhere that reliably stocks decent hats in that small a size.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Solumina

I'd start with a basic cloche, they flatter just about any head/face shape, look well with both long or short hair, and look great in simple styles while also lending themselves rather well to adornments.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
ape descendant

Oh come on, take a walk on the wild side, perhaps something shiny, or leather.... maybe even a coon-tail hat or a big floppy one with gigantic flowers on it. If you can pull of loud, weird hats, you can do ANYTHING!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Solumina

One of the things I miss most about where I grew up is that it was hunt country so there were plenty of horse related events where absolutely ginormous, ostentatious, would-be-ridiculous-anywhere-else kind of hats were perfectly acceptable.

*sigh*

Sometimes growing up sucks.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
BlacKat

Hat:
http://tinyurl.com/3vtfynj
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
AshleyO

Cats don't wear hats... usually. Unless their human masters stuffs them on their heads to take terrible pictures.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about.
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #17
Jon Wane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat View Post
Kitty and her new short hair have decided that she really ought to try out some hats. The trouble is, kitty does not actually know anyone who wears anything other than baseball caps. Kitty has been eyeing the lovely victorian top hats and tricorns and wanting to wear them.

The problem: Kitty has no idea how one wears a hat without looking silly. Kitty does not really want to drop money and time on a hat without knowing that it will look good.
Honestly, I think wearing top hats is just unavoidably silly...

Part of why getting stuck watching "Steampunk" bands at shows always makes me groan... Like, c'mon, dude (to the guy in the theoretical Steampunk band). You are older than I am and you're still into this?

I chopped off all my hair recently (don't miss it at all either) and can finally wear hats comfortably... but I stick with the tried-and-true baseball cap with my very own tacky twist:

Old men with lots of money still don't hit on me, even with the Service Dog patch though...

PS: I promise, that's an old picture... I'm not such a douche that I would actually put on my jacket just to pose for this thread (I was posting my jacket on another board).
Jon Wane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #18
Grausamkeit

Sub-cultures and music don't have age limits. That's just silly.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Well said !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
Jon Wane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
You make a valid point....... I think I'm just particularly prejudiced towards music subcultures mired in dead-end escapism and an idealized non-reality. To quote someone else who said it better than I can:

Quote:
Victorian era alternate history sci-fi can be truely great but 'steampunk' is intellectually, morally and aesthetically bankrupt.
It's the same reason I loathe Power Metal (which I actually loved as a pre-adolescent--the flowerier, the better).

I guess I just became bitter over how my emotional crutch (escapism through "fantastical" musical genres, art, lit., etc.) never really changed how unpleasant and screwed up the world still was/is when I took the headphones off and stepped out of my own head. I realized it did nothing to change things in reality, and only served to make me more depressed when I took off my rose-tinted glasses.

I blame adolescence and discovering Grindcore and Crust/Anarcho-Punk late in middle school.

Seriously, it turned me into a pissed off idealist and I've been one ever since... :P

IDK... Maybe I'm an uptight moron, but that's really the whole reason I don't like Steampunk or fancy hats... ;__;
Jon Wane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
Grausamkeit

I like fancy hats, but I don't 'get' steampunk(or romanticizing the Victorian Era and it's sexism that carries over into modern society). I don't think steampunk is a bad thing in itself, though. It's just not my bag.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Sheep Thief

I was wondering if anyone knew the actual names of the style of hats Eldritch and Mccoy wore? "cowboy hat" doesn't exactly help much in way of searching. Mccoy obviously has a much more western eastwood style hat which would be easier to find, but I'm more interested in Eldritch's..seemingly like a cross between western and preacher. Anyone have any idea/or know of the hat names? Even better if someone knew where I could get them
Sheep Thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
CornSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Thief View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew the actual names of the style of hats Eldritch and Mccoy wore? "cowboy hat" doesn't exactly help much in way of searching. Mccoy obviously has a much more western eastwood style hat which would be easier to find, but I'm more interested in Eldritch's..seemingly like a cross between western and preacher. Anyone have any idea/or know of the hat names? Even better if someone knew where I could get them

I think that style of hat if I'm not mistaken is just a wide brimmed cowboy hat like this.
CornSnake is offline   Reply With Quote