Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
carakitty

ElderGoths

side note- I'm getting buzzed and that was just written as WElderGoths... ROFL @ th thought of someone decked out in Goth Gear wielding a soldering iron
any way......

The term "ElderGoth" refers to one's time in the scene, or does it refer to their age in years?

If it refers to age alone then I think I do qualify, right? For I am in my 30s.
But if one goes by scene knowledge than I rank as a baby most likely and have no problems admitting it.

And I probably should stop posting and go to bed and sleep while this wine induced haze is still gifting me with it's presence. But knowing my gift for procrastination I likely won't. Oh well. Have fun everyone.

Thank you for what ever insights you have to give (on the subject).
carakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
side note- I'm getting buzzed and that was just written as WElderGoths... ROFL @ th thought of someone decked out in Goth Gear wielding a soldering iron
any way......

The term "ElderGoth" refers to one's time in the scene, or does it refer to their age in years?

If it refers to age alone then I think I do qualify, right? For I am in my 30s.
But if one goes by scene knowledge than I rank as a baby most likely and have no problems admitting it.

And I probably should stop posting and go to bed and sleep while this wine induced haze is still gifting me with it's presence. But knowing my gift for procrastination I likely won't. Oh well. Have fun everyone.

Thank you for what ever insights you have to give (on the subject).
It usually means time put into the scene but it can also mean an older goth regardless of scene experience.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
Anarasha

I never heard the term "Elder Goth" before today o.o
If I were to define it, it would be an older person from the scene whom I could respect. If i couldn't respect him, he would just be an old fart o.o
I would call Humanepain an Elder Goth if I were to use this term about anyone ever. I likely won't though.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Still Jack

The only people I actually seriously would consider Elder Goths would be friends of mine like Jörg and Samantha that actually did frequent the batcave.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Ophelia's Snorkel

From my experience, I must believe it's more about age. When I moved to this part of Florida and joined in the scene here, there were never any questions about my days (or nights, rather) in other places; it has always been more about my sticking with the subculture once I "grew up", and the fact that I was in my teens during the 80s. I'm sure that it makes a difference that even then my idols were Robert Smith, and Siouxsie, and so on - instead of, say, Paula Abdul or Hall and Oates or (goodness, who else was around then? Michael Jackson, I suppose, in his heyday). It might be very different for someone who is in his or her 30s or 40s and only recently got into the music and all the trappings that come with it.

I'm rambling. How very old-person of me. My point is that when my 'credentials' are examined, if my credentials are examined, it matters less what active time I spent in clubs or dressing the part or anything like that, and much more how old I am. I'm grateful for that, because for a time I was forced to hide my affiliation and 'be goth on the inside'. It was a terrible time of lost years, and the fact that it does not matter - that all was forgiven and I was welcomed back wholeheartedly - is a mark of the generosity and kindness that characterises so many goths.

As an aside, I think it rather bad manners to refer to myself as an "Elder Goth". When others do, I feel quite humbled and honoured, and I believe it comes with a bit of responsibility to do right by the subculture: protect and be there for babybats, support my local scene, and not act like an ass if I can help it.