Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
honeythorn

Got Her!

Anyone who read in the randomness thread about the Kestrel that landed on me yesterday, here's an update! I caught her!

I went back today as her tameness and apparant hunger were really preying on my mind.I didn't sleep much last night because I was thinking about it.

So I took a bit of steak (cut into little bits ) and went back to the area where I found her. Nothing there but then I heard her call so I knew she was in the trees around the field somewhere. I went across to the other side and whistled a few times ( a long whistle as I've heard some falconers do ) and to my absolute amazement she came flying across to me, hovered for a second, then landed on a branch. I held up my wrist again , this time with steak, and she came to me immediately and scarfed it down like there was no tomorrow!

So I kept feeding her little bits, and she flapped to the ground and had some there as well. I got her back on my wrist, and brought my arm right next to my body. Then I put my other hand over her wings and just held her to me ( between the boobs and close to the heart ) . She didn't struggle AT ALL, just stayed there nice and quiet, so this confirmed to me that she has been very well tamed or hand reared. I walked home with her held firmly like that and she never moved nor bit me or anything , just looked around and kept perfectly quiet. I've never known a bird so tame, even my cockatiel is more vicious!

Anyway I called the Hagley falconry centre, and they said they couldn't take her until she'd been seen by a vet due to a legislation. The guy said to take her to Hagley vet as they know the centre, and they'd check her over and advise me. So I've done just that, and they've taken her. The vet said they'd take her to the centre tomorrow. So I'll call them tomorrow and see how they've got on with her.

She's an absolutely BEAUTIFUL bird, so tame and placid, obviously hand reared . The exhillaration of calling her and having her fly to me across a field to eat steak from my fingers is indescribable

Here are a few pictures I took of her before we took her to the vet

Kes 1

Kes 2

Kes 3

Kes 4
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
LiUsAiDh

Eep!! Well done

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
She_Is_My_Sin

She's very cute!

Well done Honeythorn, it's great that you turned your concerns into actions. It must have been a bit of an experience to say the least!

I hope the kestrel does well at the centre.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

That's incredible, Honeythorn!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Solumina

She is beautiful! I'm so glad that you were able to get her and that she will is now being properly taken care of
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Cute little thing. Quite an interesting experience to say the least. I've helped out a little at a local rescue center and it's really nice to see how the animals are progressing, do you plan on keeping track of her? The only animals around my neighborhood that ever seem to need help are snapping turtles crossing the road, they aren't the most grateful of creatures, it's amazing how far their necks can extend not to mention how flexible.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Well done Miss Honeythorn! From the plumage I'd guess it is a female, or perhaps a young male, as I think the young have bland plumage as well to disguise them in the nest. She appears to be in reasonably good health, she has very good odds of surviving. Thank heavens she flew across your path with your wisdom in the ways of nature. You have some very good karma coming your way!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Xombie

Honeythorn, you are so completely remarkable. I could only wish to have such a way with animals. I want a birdie on my wrist. :[
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Honeythorn you are very lucky.

I hope the bird does well at the centre.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
kikrox

take good care of her !!
kikrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #11
peacebear5028

Such a beautiful little bird.
Nice to know other people care about animals.
Good job =]
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Does this signal the beginnings of a super goth army made of Kestrels and others birds with Honeythorn as the leader?

Well done to you honeythorn and I hope everything turns out for the best
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #13
KontanKarite

Honeythorn... you're something else, girl. ...magic

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote