Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
raineofblood

USA or England?

Which is better in your opinion to live in and why? I won't say why myself because of the limited time I have right now but I feel that America is a much more better area for living but England is a Great vacation spot.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
delicti

I'm not a big fan of England's police surveillance or radio policies, but I might consider putting up with them for the music. ;-)
Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Katanshin

"America is a much more better area"

England. We made America. We made the language. We conquered most of the world and then we were nice enough to give it back.

Great Britain would be named "BRILLIANT Britain" if creating America didn't drag its title through the mud in the eyes of the rest of the world...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katanshin
We made the language.
I have to admit I love you Brits, even if you can't pronounce "Aluminum" properly. :-p
Old 08-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
the-broken-harlequin

The police surveillance is for our protection, anyway it wont kill you.

America is full of fatties!
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin
The police surveillance is for our protection, anyway it wont kill you.
Let's hope not. Police tend to like to ask me a lot of questions, and are fairly rude when I have better things to do.

Quote:
Righto. If they only put less calories in liquor, I'd be thinner too. Thankfully I still haven't succumbed to it, despite that. ;-)
Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
raineofblood

Harlequin, I must admit your words are (for onceXP) true. haha. fattest nation. And yet the younger generation has focused more on maintaining weight and so hopefully the fatness is going down...and delicti:my thoughts exactly ^_^
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:

England. We made America. We made the language. We conquered most of the world and then we were nice enough to give it back.

Great Britain would be named "BRILLIANT Britain" if creating America didn't drag its title through the mud in the eyes of the rest of the world...
"We made America" That's just a stupid statement. First off, England was not the first to colonize "The New World." Second, we are influenced by many many cultures, and English influence isn't actually all that prevalent.

Nice enough to give it back? I know you're referring to more than one area, but as for America, which is the topic at hand, you weren't nice enough to give us freedom, but we took it from your hands. Then you tried to get your stranglehold back on America, and we succeeded in winning the war.

To clarify, I'm using "us" and "you" just to make things easier. I realize that I didn't suffer in the Revolutionary war, and I realize that you didn't take over any indigenous people.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin

And England is full of people with bad teeth. Let's not resort to stereotypes.

Plus, even if either or both of those things were true, what the hell would it matter?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Plus, even if either or both of those things were true, what the hell would it matter?
It'd like to think both were true, because then it would make some funny looking cross-breeds. :-D
Old 08-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
Romantic Raven

I'd say England. I hope I'll be able to move there one day. I like the weather. And the castles.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

I should make it clear now that I'm not too happy with Americans or the British, because I'm a red-skinned savage, and the whole ordeal makes me pretty angry.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Lapin

America and I have come to an agreement. We agree to disagree, and I get sent off to bloody Germany.

I swear like I'm English anyway, I suppose.

I blame my neighbor.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
raineofblood

the physical bane of the british is the teeth and the bane of the americans is their weight. The reason the british teeth are so bad is because milk is not as encouraged upon children as it is in the US and I dunno what other factors play in. The weight problem in the US is because of the many fast food places and the life in the fast lane where people dont exactly have time for a proper resturaunt meal. But truly, the weight problem is greatly being worked on.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:

Sorry, old chap, but this statement is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm a rampant Anglophile, but there's no basis for such an assertion. You didn't "give back" any part of your empire; the British hand was forced by extremes of circumstance.

The mishandling of the colonial question made America. Even Benjamin Franklin, who American jingoes everywhere love to invoke as the spiritual guardian of our nation, was a loyalist until he realized that the crown was intent upon taking resources and manpower from North America without even granting nominal rights in return. If you'll notice, subsequent to the American rebellion, H.M.G took a very different tack when dealing with its remaining White dominions.

As for its colonial possessions, they were wrested from the dying grip of Britannia after the cataclysm of World War made empire superfluous. The first World War cracked foundation of the empire, while the second knocked the whole thing into a cocked hat. The Atlantic Charter (signed by my personal hero, Winston S. Churchill) opened up British colonies to foreign markets, which effectively rendered them useless as imperial possessions, and the German onslaught weakened the will of the British public to maintain a costly presence in faraway lands that were no longer of any commercial value. Ghandi didn't free India; Hitler did.

Now, having said all that, I think I'd like to try living in England. The United States has devalued the precepts upon which is was built; the word freedom means nothing any longer, nor do justice or terror. Perhaps the English still have their wits about them, and haven't succumbed to blind jingoism. That, and I'd like to visit the Imperial War Museum.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
DeathChii

uh CANADA duh. lawlz Free health care bitchaz
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #17
the-broken-harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
It'd like to think both were true, because then it would make some funny looking cross-breeds. :-D
As soon as you said that Operah Winfrey came to mind.
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
childofdarkness

Well...
I like them both actually. I don't really have a preference.
My dad however wants me to move out of England asap, because otherwise I'll be 'killed by yobs' apparently.
childofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #19
psyches_reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineofblood
The reason the british teeth are so bad is because milk is not as encouraged upon children as it is in the US and I dunno what other factors play in.
Actually, it is. With the exception of a few years under the Milk Snatcher, all primary school children have been provided with free or heavily subsidised milk on a daily basis for a good fifty years or more. By the time my little sister was in school, you got a biscuit too!!

As for inventing the language, technically (as with all things 'English'), it's a bastard language. It comprises of words from almost every culture and race that has ever invaded us. It does annoy me however, that in America it's common to drop vowels from Latin-based words, such as fetus(foetus) and encyclopedia(encyclopaedia). I'm a little nit-picky in that respect.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #20
biohazard

I would go with England If I had the option. I have never visited it before, but it seems a much healthier place than the United States.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
james"bloody tears"

im gonna hold my peace on this but only cuz my wife is from england and ive lived 90% of my life in the usa so i vote both.

love me or hate me i wont change

the eyes are the windows to the soul, are you afraid of what you see?
james"bloody tears" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
Circle V

England has tradition going for it. It lags behind in innovation.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

The only difference between England and America is that America believes a hundred years is a long time and England believes a hundred miles is a long distance.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
Porphyria

Americans have better teeth because of the milk thing and because most cities have been adding fluoride to the public water supply for the past 30 years.

Americans are fat because America is a big place... and for some reason everything else has to be bigger to match. So we have bigger houses, bigger cars and bigger meals. I noticed the portions were much smaller in European restaraunts.

On top of that, public transit is nearly nonexistant outside of major metropolitan areas in the US, so Americans have gotten into the habit of driving everywhere. I live in one of those townhouse communities where all the mailboxes are in a little bus stop-looking thing on the corner. It's about a 50 yard walk and some of my neighbors will actually get into their cars and drive to the mailbox, pick up their mail and drive back to their houses. Europeans are more inclined to get off their asses and walk from place to place.

I don't think it's really possible to come up with a decent comparison to determine which country is better. You can't say England has better weather because America has so many different types of weather. You can't say the people are better in one place or the other because you'd have to be acquainted with every single person in both countries to accurately say that-- otherwise you're going on stereotypes.

I live in America. It's not bad. I've been to England. It's not bad, either. Honestly, they're not terribly different. If I had the opportunity to move to England, I would turn it down because no one can understand what I'm saying (and seem to enjoy making fun of my accent), I don't like the food and British television is horrible. But that's just my opinion.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #25
Cicero

I feel more at home in Britain due to my heritage being there, and British comedy of the 60's - 80's is the best that's ever graced the earth. Castles are always a plus, too.

However I loved my time in America as well - it's a country of great diversity, both in culture and nature, and it has some amazing food (the best Thai I ever had in my life, in fact, and I lived for ten years right next to Thailand).

But no country is any better than the other. England and the US are like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Christian Death: both awesome. And I'd live in/listen to either one.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote