Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 AM   #1
Vic

Help needed o_O

Hello *anxious wave*

I'm in need of a little help! I have to begin my dissertation during the summer and I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to ideas. 10, 000 words is a lot to write about one subject, so I need to find something that will keep me interested. It has to relate to English literature or language [preferably lit, because language can be tricky]. It can be anything from Novels and narrators to lyrics and poetry. Any suggestions? I figured you're all pretty interesting/intelligent individuals, so I thought you'd be the best to ask.

I love Victorian literature but it seems to be a popular choice - I want to make mine a little bit different to be honest! I'd like to do something regarding lyrics and society but I don't know if that will hold water? Arrghh!
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
Drake Dun

I did my English literature thesis on "The Role of Insects in Horror Movies since the 1930s". You read that right - movies, not books. And I went to a school with a nice sparkly name, especially for English lit. You might have more room to play than you think.

My strong advice is to do something in an area that is of personal interest to you. It makes the process way less agonizing. So why don't you tell us what kind of literature you're into, and then we can come up with some bullshit theme for you?

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
Vic

Wow! Thats very far out!
The only subjects I think I can maintain a steady focus on are Music, Poetry [Focusing on Blake and possibly Percy Shelley], Victorian lit and the role of the narrator [i.e. How they manipulate etc].
How did you manage to relate horror movies to literature? I've just finished a course on Literarure and Cinematic adaptation - I found that quite interesting too, yet I found myself repeating the same thing. The films usually takes most meaning of the novel away. But there are many adaptations I haven't considered so I guess thats another possibility?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

How about the vampire motif in Sons and Lovers?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
LiUsAiDh

What about writing about wat we're doing at school, "Love poems Pre 1914, Different aspects and attitudes towards love".

You could change the love to something else, but it's still pretty broad....

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Minyaliel

Or you could write about LeFanu's Carmilla and the lesbian/ vampire motif in it (possibly also including how this was recieved by the general public and other schnitz that's related to the topic) or the ingredients that Victorian ghost/ horror stories (and books) usually share and talk a bit about what scary creatures were a hit and which weren't, and why (vampires vs. werewolves, for instance). By the way, when it comes to supernatural/ superhuman beasts, feel free to contact me if you need any help - they're a passion of mine.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
deafasadoornail

I would think of something that interests you then relate it to English lit. I was interested in women's issues, so I did my Independent Study (our short version of a thesis) on women's roles in the works of C.S. Lewis. You could do something with sexual perversion, vampires, beasts (think of Frankenstein, Dracula, some of Poe's work).

Or perhaps something on death rites, which were quite elaborate in the Victorian era and you can find examples in lit.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Vic

Thanks a lot! I really like some of your ideas. I have a meeting with a tutor this week so I'm going to run some ideas by him and see what he thinks. He's so enthusiastic about everything I love it! - Just what you need at Uni I think, especially with such a daunting aspect of a dissertation.

Minyaliel - I may take you up on that offer xD I can imagine there's an endless amount you could write regarding supernatural/superhuman beasts or characters.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Minyaliel

I'd be honoured. =) It's a very interesting subject, and plenty to write about.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Um, the homosexual subtext in english children's lit... Wind and the Willows anyone "Oooohhhhh, Ratty! *loud moaning*"
But on a more serious note, perhaps images of insanity in children's media (alice in wonderland, hr puffinstuff, The yellow submarine)
Miss_Hazie_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #11
Vic

Children's lit is so dark sometimes its scary....However I have done quite a bit on children's lit and its many motifs etc during college, and i found it a bit tiresome. I'm not a massive fan of Freudian readings and stuff - for me, it just gets tedious when people attempt to read into children's lit too much. I loved studying Alice in Wonderland though - so much to write about. Just not again : /