Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
XxBloodyrosexX

Red face Would Black hair look good on me? What dye? Help?

Ok. I'm sry I don't have a picture right now but I'll upload one soon. I'm seroiusly thinking of dyeing my naturally dark brown hair black. It's like mohaganny. And, I've never dyed my hair before so I don't know what dye to use. my friend dyed her hair red with temp. dye the manic panic stuff. But she said if i want it to stay, (she only wanted it special occasion) i should go to a saloon, not do home dye. Though my mom says i can choose which way, she said saloon dye like kills my hair. If i use a lot of conditioner will it make saloon hair less brittle? Any help plz!?
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
electrosexual

Yes and yes and yes and yes.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
the velvet teacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
Ok. I'm sry I don't have a picture right now but I'll upload one soon. I'm seroiusly thinking of dyeing my naturally dark brown hair black. It's like mohaganny. And, I've never dyed my hair before so I don't know what dye to use. my friend dyed her hair red with temp. dye the manic panic stuff. But she said if i want it to stay, (she only wanted it special occasion) i should go to a saloon, not do home dye. Though my mom says i can choose which way, she said saloon dye like kills my hair. If i use a lot of conditioner will it make saloon hair less brittle? Any help plz!?
If you have never dyed your hair before it will be in fairly good condition. If you want a temp black then go for something like Manic Panic or a temporary dye, at least this will fade/wash out. Obviously if you want it all of the time go for a perm colour, regular conditioning will keep your hair a sexy glossy black. Good luck! Don't panic, have fun with it!
the velvet teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
DeathToLems

Yea why not? Experimenting with color is great fun. I'm still trying to get my hair purple but it keeps fading to a red color >_<
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Solumina

I don't see how doing it yourself would be a problem (although it would be best with the help of someone that has done it before so they can help you out) and it will cost way less. I have heard great things about Revlon Colorsilks, I use their Dark Auburn and even though it is rather cheap it works the best for me. I will warn you that black is really, really hard to get out but Colorsilks does have a color called "soft black" that is almost black with just a hint of brown but would be a good bit easier to get out (link to their site).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Megansmom

Try the temporary color first just to make sure it's what you want. I bought the black hairspray first for my daughter just to make sure it would look good and since it did we used Revlon Colorsilks blue black.
And she can still use her manic panic temps on it .
Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
XxBloodyrosexX

Thanks you guys! ^^ I'm most probally going to use the temparary dye first than if I like it (which i'm sure I will cause my dad photoshopped my hair black and it looked awesome!) and them I'll probaly dye it permanatly so it dosen't fade. redyeing can be cumbersome. so yeah, thanks! btw waiting for the clor to come out shouldn't be a problem my hair is already a really dark brown! ^^ =P
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Opteron_Man

I don't see why not. Black dye would look nice on anyone.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
weiwei

Wink The major

The major wow gold presidential hopeful spent some time talking wow goldabout the wow power leveling economy today. Republican John McCain told small business

wow power leveling owners in Washington DC his ideas will be better for them. wow power

leveling

NPR's Scott Horsley reports.weiwei1978123
weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #10
ApothoKeri

Black pretty much goes with everything and can blend in with anyone. Obviously if you have a lighter complexion it will give you a more stark and dramatic look, while if you have a darker complexion, it will give you a more exotic look, etc.

The main thing you want to think about with the actual color of the color is if you are more cool (pink) or warm (yellow) toned in your skin. It won't look too good if you are cool/pink tones and do a black with a touch of red in it, likewise if you do a blue-black color on a more yellow complexion it won't look that good. You need to keep to cool hair colors if you are cool complexion and warmer of warm tones. Plain, generic neutral black will go on anyone.

As far as a salon, it will help you get it more even and perhaps damage it less if a profession with a lot more experience than you is doing it and fine tuning it to YOUR hair (where as a box is set at specific timing, level/strength of developer, etc.)...but dying your hair at home is NOT difficult to do if it is an easy step like you are talking about, just follow the directions and it sounds. Lightening and striping OUT color is what you really don't want to do at home (or you can easily screw it up or cause a lot of damage). Also at a salon they may be able to help you pick out a specific color of black more suited to you personally.

It should not damage your hair too much going darker for the first time. Lighter really strains it more. Just remember if you continue to dye and keep up with black, only dye your roots each additional time so that over time you do not end up dying the whole length of hair over and over and over (then it will get damaged fast)...and yes use conditioner...look for one that is for 'color treated hair' and just use it every time you wash your hair and let it sit on s long as you have time to, 3 minutes is good, 15 is better when you can do so.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #11
prophecyofdoom

I would probably think black hair would be an improvement, as I love the more dramatic look, but be prepared for lots and lots of people to say "what did you DO to yourself?!! That dosen't look right AT ALL!!" because many, many people seem to think lighter hair=more attractive. If getting a certian degree of negative attention sounds distressing to you, it's probably best to stay natural.

I like to have my hair done professionally, as I am such a screwup and would probably make a disaster of myself if I attempted it at home. My hair is always much nicer after getting it done, they do some kind of deep-conditioning treatment at the same time that's just fantastic. Going darker seems to be easier on the hair then going lighter. Every time I ask for the deepest blue-black they have, the stylist tries to talk me out of it because of my light complexion. You have to know what's right for you regardless of other people's opinions.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
Black would look better on your invisible self. Just for the record, I was born with black hair.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #13
Minyaliel

Just be aware of the fact that if you dye your hair with a black permanent colour it is there to stay until it grows out. I used to have black hair until about four months ago, when I had it stripped by a very good hairdresser. Even so my hair was completely damaged by the process and had to be cut quite a lot to the point where I shaved off the sides (which were the worst, strangely enough) to let it regrow. Black is a lovely colour, but many people tire of it rather quickly because once it's black there's nothing more you can do with it colour wise unless you get extensions.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
Moni-que

bleach it, then dye it black. That is the best way.
Moni-que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
Moni-que

its like you have to strip your hair of all its life, then fill it in with black dye.

it will be soft, silky, dark, and nothing like your former hair. loveliness.

worrying about hair damage is like really ungoth. puhleeze.
Moni-que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #16
xParadigmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems
Yea why not? Experimenting with color is great fun. I'm still trying to get my hair purple but it keeps fading to a red color >_<

you should try dying it a dark blue and washing your hair with some lemon juice. when had my hair blue and green, the blue faded to a really beautiful purple color.
xParadigmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
faye_falling

I'd like to dye my hair at least dark brown(it's dirty blonde), but I guarantee that if I did, my casting would become non-existent. Ballet is not conducive to self-expression in that sense.
faye_falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #18
Serephurus

Black hair looks sexy on everyone in my opinion. Get a professional to dye it.
Serephurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye_falling
I'd like to dye my hair at least dark brown(it's dirty blonde), but I guarantee that if I did, my casting would become non-existent. Ballet is not conducive to self-expression in that sense.
I'd leave it blonde. Some people just can't pull off the intensity. Also, as a dancer I can tell you that stage lights will bring out whatever weird shade is hiding in that black dye and you will look rather strange. Not to mention if you don't touch up your roots the director gets pissy.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #20
Pineapple_Juice

You spelled saloon instead of salon.

I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:55 AM   #21
Noirette

I wanted to dye my hair black for a few years(it's something between brown and blond with an orange shade) but I really have no idea how will it look on me (I really don't want to bother myself with re-dying it), so I just wait until I make up my mind, so I won't regret it.
Though it looks so dramaticlly charming.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #22
dabbadmc

I dyed my hair black about 4 days ago. It's really nice, and other people have complimented me on it.
It was a fairly light brown originally, but i've been contemplating dying it for a year so it was good to finally get it done.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
I wanted to dye my hair black for a few years(it's something between brown and blond with an orange shade) but I really have no idea how will it look on me (I really don't want to bother myself with re-dying it), so I just wait until I make up my mind, so I won't regret it.
Though it looks so dramatically charming.
Try on a black wig and see how it looks, although if you want something fixable then black is not the way to go, it can really be a bitch to get out so you may want to try a rich brown or something
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #24
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni-que
bleach it, then dye it black. That is the best way.
WHY in the world would someone bleach their hair first to dye it black??

OP: Please, don't take this advice.

I have been dying my naturally light brown hair part black/part bleach blonde for many years. I've tried a lot of different dyes. My favorite is Wella Colorcharm. It's technically a semi-perm and contains no peroxide, so it doesn't hurt your hair at all...but it stays in just like a permanent dye. I also love it because it doesn't stain your skin nearly as bad as the other black dyes I've tried.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #25
Zakyath

I can't have black hair, looks like shit :/ I'm actually a blonde, but I have some kind of brownish hair now.
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote