Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Cre_Babe

Question Telling your parents

Just how can you tell your parents, who believe in all goth stereotypes, that you are gothic?
Cre_Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
maggot

Well, maybe if you make them read Goth With a Sledgehammer, their views might change.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:29 PM   #3
Nardol

Why do you really have to tell them anyway? Unless you feel the need to radically change your style of dress, they probably won't notice.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Virulent Dryad

That works.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:46 AM   #5
spookypurple

Show them who you are. Let them see it in your everyday goings-about. Do it gradually is probably best.
Remember the tale of the frog in the pan of water? The water grew hotter so gradually that he never even noticed he was being boiled until it was too late. Hmm. Probably not one of my best analogies...

Let them see that you are still their little one - because let's face it, some parents never grow out of that. Right up until she died, my mum still called me her 'little last yellow chicken' (it sounds better in Welsh, trust me!), and I was in my early thirties! And as soon as they realise you're not some odd changeling, they should (in theory) be okay. And if you set the example of remaining constant in your feelings and opinions of them then (again, in theory!), they will take your lead and just accept that this is the wonderful person you are growing into.

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:53 AM   #6
Iriacynthe

If you just say 'mom, dad, I'm gothic', they probably won't know what to think about it and they might freak out. If you just be the person you are (their kind, loving child, that is) and you wear the clothes you like and listen to the music you like and so on, they will probably notice you have a different style than most people, but they will see that you're still the person you always were.
Maybe they really won't mind, maybe some day they will ask you 'why do you wear black almost every day?' or 'what's that weird music you're listening to?', and than you can explain what gothic is and why you feel attracted to it. Just keep it simple, they'll probably get over it.
Don't be angry if they tell you that no, you can't buy a velvet dress or no, you can't go to the local goth club, if you handle things in a mature way they will hopefully loosen up. If they don't, well, wait 'till you're old enough to do whatever you want.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Claudia

The only thing that changed for me was my wardrobe, makeup and hair.

Also, try having your folks read the stuff on Wikipedia, if they're skittish.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
Minyaliel

Just don't tell them, show them, that's probably the best thing you could do. I've never told my mother I'm into gothic... but then, she'd probably not know what goth is, anyway.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
mutsumiasakura

Location: In the darkest corner of the smallest, most boring town in the universe.
Urm, Claudia, hun. You might want to trot over to the introduction section and make yourself known there. Just a suggestion.
Hurry, before it's too late.

"Poetry is the deification of reality." -Edith Sitwell

"Whoso eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life . . . "
mutsumiasakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
Sanctus Dei

Before anyone else gives you and overly dramatic advice... let me ask you one question;

What is it you think they might actually have a problem with?
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
Magpie_Tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre_Babe
Just how can you tell your parents, who believe in all goth stereotypes, that you are gothic?
Heh. Your screen name made me laugh. I just skimmed past it and I thought it said "Cry_Baby"
Old 05-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Do you think there might be a way I can convince them to wear whatever I want to?
It's not that I want to dress like a spooky kid or anything that would scare the average parent (except maybe for black nail polish), but they don't like it when I don't blend in with the rest of the people, so as long as the Victorian style isn't common, they won't allow me to dress it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
Solumina

say that it is a hot new trend in Europe and then tell them how uncool and out of touch with fashion they are
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:20 AM   #14
Sanctus Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Do you think there might be a way I can convince them to wear whatever I want to?
It's not that I want to dress like a spooky kid or anything that would scare the average parent (except maybe for black nail polish), but they don't like it when I don't blend in with the rest of the people, so as long as the Victorian style isn't common, they won't allow me to dress it.

Who needs convincing? You're 17 Jillian, at this point you SHOULD be wearing whatever you want to. But for the sake of the thread, I'd explain to them that you're artistic and one way to intend to express that is through personal style. Never give them the option to say 'No' but inform them so they know what to expect. Chances are when they see your not going to change much inside, just outside... they'll be fine with it
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #15
Cicero

I've never understood how parents could be so concerned with what their children look like - more specifically, concerned when they look "different".

My mother would always use the word "different" as a compliment. And why not? Shouldn't a parent what their precious child to stand out from the crowd? It really is beyond me how some people think.

Jillian, my advice is to simply tell your parents that dressing that way makes you happy.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 AM   #16
spookypurple

Yeah, same here. My dad and my late mum is/was a bit eccentric and (not necessarily connected) always encouraged me not to be like everyone else. In fact, I think one of the best compliments I had from my father was when I turned up in a pair of DMs ("At last! You're wearing sensible shoes!").

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #17
horrorgirl

I don't see why you have to tell your parents that you are gothic. Seriously. I never told my mom anything when I started listening to hardcore and deathrock. I just listened to the music and dressed the way I liked and it was never an issue. I don't see why kids these days feel the need to shout out their 'identities'. Just be yourself.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #18
Hillary

telling parents

I was always into darker things since I was a baby. I never told my mum or Dad. Wait... who does that? Are you suppose to sit your family down and tell them, "Mum... Dad... I'm gothic"? I must have missed the part of devolping.
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

I never told them "Mom, Dad, I'm gothic"

The story isn't that long. I once came back angry from school, and we're used to talk about our day, so I told them that they took away total black from me, which doesn't go against the dresscode, but they already consider me bad enough for not being christian, so they do not want to endorse the feeling that I can also be gothic (and hence, my parents learned I'm a goth)
After correcting them from every bias they had towards the gothic culture, they enjoyed the artistic approach that the gothic culture has in, if not everyone, at least in myself.
The problem will always be the appearance.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #20
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
What can they do? My mom's fine with it, but my dad thinks I'm a failure because I have a devilock and wear black. It's not like he can stop me, if he takes away my clothes I'll burn his. I really get pissed when people try to suppress individual choice, and excercise mine fully.

If it comes down to them, just tell them it's YOUR choice, not theirs. It's alot more simple than it sounds.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinflame
What can they do? My mom's fine with it, but my dad thinks I'm a failure because I have a devilock and wear black. It's not like he can stop me, if he takes away my clothes I'll burn his. I really get pissed when people try to suppress individual choice, and excercise mine fully.

If it comes down to them, just tell them it's YOUR choice, not theirs. It's alot more simple than it sounds.
If you are underage and live under their roof YOU have to respect the wishes of your parents and do what they want. Being a little snot to your parents because 'Oh my gawd my parents won't let me dress in black' is ridiculous. If your whole identity and personality is based upon what you wear then you don't have a clue.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #22
Draconysius

I believe that people calling themselves "gothic" are confining themselves to their own sterotypical ideal of a "gothic" person, so that would be a very contradictiory statement in my eyes. I believe one should shed all labels; enjoy music, art, fashion, literature, and poetry without considering first whether it's "gothic".
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
Solumina

good point, grills really are icky by the way
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #24
Godslayer Jillian

What's a grill?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #25
Niels

Like brackets?

hm...

I don't get it... is it, like coming out of the closet kind of thing?

'Mom, dad, I'm gay'
'Mom, dad, I'm gothic'
'Mom, dad, I'm black'
'Mom, dad, I'm human'
'Mom, dad, I'm an asshole'

'Yes honey, we already thought you would be and we are totally fine with that, aren't we dad?'

'hm... yeah yeah'

*sigh* kids these days...