Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #51
Solumina

Just remember that eggs from free range chickens have significantly more omega 3s, as well as containing more of certain vitamins, but have about 1/3 less cholesterol. Animals that grow in a better environment tend to produce much better food, it is a win/win situation.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #52
honeythorn

If you can, keep free range chickens of your own ( or in a large mesh covered enclosure to protect against predators, by large I mean about 12 foot long and 6-7 foot high , also containing a coop for them to go in at night) . Rescue some old battery hens to mix with the laying stock for company. Chickens don't lay for all their lives but get them tame enough and you'll have great pets after their laying time is over . My gran used to keep them and I'd love some when I have a place ( and the space ) of my own. Free eggs and you know how the birds are kept and fed as you are the one keeping and feeding them.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #53
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I just learned that eggs and salmon contain omega-3 complex, which is needed by the brain. That shoots down going vegetarian for me, I mean after all, I need every brain cell I've got! And how many nuts can one eat? I love walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and peanuts, but please...give me a hard boiled egg with my cobb salad! And since you're ad\ding an egg, keep the turkey and bacon on it too.
Shit, you're right! Omega-3! That can't possibly be found in soya, the most common vegan food!

... Wait, it can.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #54
Necrophagist

You're not doing a very good job of convincing people to become vegans, JCC.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #55
JCC

That's your best retort?

Christ, if I was your parent you'd have died from shaken baby syndrome by now.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #56
Jonathan

If malnutrition from soy-based formula didn't take him first, that is.

;p
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #57
Necrophagist

Burn.

How was it a retort? I just made a point.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #58
JCC

Joker turned vegan from it.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #59
ionic_angel

Hmm. Well, let's see...on average, I eat meat 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time I'm usually eating fruits or staple foods (read: bread and noodles).

Will this movie clip change that? No.

Here's a hint, for those of you out there who are relatively prone to emotional decisions:

You can choose to be vegetarian or not, I don't care. But the fact is that mean is a much more concentrated energy source than plant products. Our bodies are designed to digest it, and many people do need the proteins and energy found in meet. While it is true that these nutrients can be found elsewhere, it usually involves selecting an eclectic buffet of different vegetables and fruits, usually not available to the average world citizen.

Yes, I just made the point that being vegetarian - or worse, vegan - is an affectation of the privileged.

From a use of resources standpoint, it is more efficient to simply grow wheat OR rice OR soybeans OR barley OR whatever. It's not very efficient to try this with the multiple array of plant products that you will need to adequately nourish a human being. It's certainly not feasible in third-world countries. This is why you usually find people subsisting off of one or two meat products and a staple plant product (i.e., fish and rice in Vietnam).

In short, your discovered animosity against meat products is only made possible by your privileged lifestyle. On the other hand, without that privileged lifestyle, you get to be malnourished if you don't eat meat.

Now, there are limited exceptions, of course, but study the dietary habits of humans throughout history and you'll note that people usually dispensed with plant products before they dispensed with meat. And for good reason.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #60
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
http://www.meat.org/

Ignore the fact that it's by PETA (they're cunts) and watch it. I expect all of you to go Vegan, or I'll personally slap each one of you in the chops.

Upston Sinclair beat you too it. And I'm still going to eat meat.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #61
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel
Hmm. Well, let's see...on average, I eat meat 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time I'm usually eating fruits or staple foods (read: bread and noodles).

Will this movie clip change that? No.

Here's a hint, for those of you out there who are relatively prone to emotional decisions:

You can choose to be vegetarian or not, I don't care. But the fact is that mean is a much more concentrated energy source than plant products. Our bodies are designed to digest it, and many people do need the proteins and energy found in meet. While it is true that these nutrients can be found elsewhere, it usually involves selecting an eclectic buffet of different vegetables and fruits, usually not available to the average world citizen.

Yes, I just made the point that being vegetarian - or worse, vegan - is an affectation of the privileged.

From a use of resources standpoint, it is more efficient to simply grow wheat OR rice OR soybeans OR barley OR whatever. It's not very efficient to try this with the multiple array of plant products that you will need to adequately nourish a human being. It's certainly not feasible in third-world countries. This is why you usually find people subsisting off of one or two meat products and a staple plant product (i.e., fish and rice in Vietnam).

In short, your discovered animosity against meat products is only made possible by your privileged lifestyle. On the other hand, without that privileged lifestyle, you get to be malnourished if you don't eat meat.

Now, there are limited exceptions, of course, but study the dietary habits of humans throughout history and you'll note that people usually dispensed with plant products before they dispensed with meat. And for good reason.
Now let's counter the fact that the same amount of protein can be gained from one acre of vegetation that would take ten for livestock and your argument falls to pieces.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #62
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionic_angel

No one living in the western world doesn't have access to these things. And proteins are found in all plants, its just that meat has all twenty amino acids, which you can get by mixing your fruits and veggies, like having rice with potato. And humans are omnivorous, we have the choice to eat meat or not. Our intestines are too long to be considered carnivourous and our teeth are consistent with a frugivore, the argument can be quite made that we are evolving to tolerate meat, but it wasn't initially apart of our diet.

Quote:

Are we preaching to kids in rural Vietnam? No. You own a computer, so I suspect you live near to a grocery store and have the funds to buy the food you like rather than just whats available to you. And thats the point, most of us have a choice.

I'm scrapping by every month and its cheaper for me to not eat meat, I'm very healthy and not malnourished at all. Actually the doctor praised me for it since there is a lot of heart disease history in my family. And being vegetarian, soon going vegan has made me more aware about what I'm eating, and I'm very careful about it.

And the huge amount of factory farming that kills millions of animals a DAY, wasting a lot of food, money and space into raising livestock, THAT is a product of a priveleged country.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #63
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Please. You fucking people say that vegetarianism is the answer? How many hundreds of thousands, or millions, of acres of wilderness have been torn down to grow enough vegetable produce to feed the populace? How many small animals are mown down by threshers harvesting grain?
Or don't snakes and woodchucks count, since they're not cute?

Eating meat isn't the problem. Overpopulation is. Feeding all the people that are alive is forcing agriculture to destroy more and more wild lands, just like industry and housing are ****** and pillaging the environment.

Get the fuck over yourselves. You want to help the animals in their plight? Don't have kids.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #64
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
Please. You fucking people say that vegetarianism is the answer? How many hundreds of thousands, or millions, of acres of wilderness have been torn down to grow enough vegetable produce to feed the populace? How many small animals are mown down by threshers harvesting grain?

Eating meat isn't the problem. Overpopulation is. Feeding all the people that are alive is forcing agriculture to destroy more and more wild lands, just like industry and housing are ****** and pillaging the environment.

Get the fuck over yourselves. You want to help the animals in their plight? Don't have kids.
I know animals get killed in farming, but its something I sadly cannot change. All I can hope to do is minimize the impact I have. They die, its sad, but I'd rather only have rats and snakes on my conscience then have rats, snakes, cows, chickens, fish, pigs and whatever the hell they put in hotdogs on my conscience. However I am looking into urban gardening and seeing if its safe and possible here.

And as to expansion, I don't like that either. But at least plants can stay in a small space, while bovine have to wander over a large space.

I don't think not having enough food is a problem. Do you know that billions of tons of edible food gets thrown away? We have more than enough food to feed everybody, just no one wants to share. The wealthy don't want to share with the starving.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #65
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
I don't think not having enough food is a problem. Do you know that billions of tons of edible food gets thrown away? We have more than enough food to feed everybody, just no one wants to share. The wealthy don't want to share with the starving.
That's economics. If farmers gave food away for free, they'd go bankrupt. If they went bankrupt, they'd not be able to farm, which would cause a famine. Then we'd all be up shit creek.

I ain't saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how it is.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #66
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
How many hundreds of thousands, or millions, of acres of wilderness have been torn down to grow enough vegetable produce to feed the populace?
Less than the amount of millions of acres of wilderness, particularly rainforests, that are torn down to increase the bovine industry to feed the few.
Quote:
How many small animals are mown down by threshers harvesting grain?
I already mentioned that. It's less than the eight billion chickens massacred yearly.
Quote:
Eating meat isn't the problem. Overpopulation is. Feeding all the people that are alive is forcing agriculture to destroy more and more wild lands
No it isn't. Anarchoprimitivists keep saying that bullshit argument but it's not true.
Do your research. None of the exponential increments in the bovine industries go to people. Half of the agriculture in America, the supposed breadbasket of the world, doesn't even go to people!
Half of the grains harvested go to feeding cattle, and this cattle goes to an increasingly meat-eating diet in the first world, not the third world.
Over-population my ass. The world could really support 150% this many people with this amount of industrialization (though I'm not saying we should). But the world keeps being fucked over just as much as our fellow humans because of our obscene lifestyles.

Example of what Joker was saying:
http://www.veganoutreach.org/enewsletter/matheny.html

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #67
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
I've played with a woodchuck and they are extremely cute. Before anyone asks the woodchuck was being kept at an animal rescue center because it had grown dependent on humans, and was quite tame.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #68
MollyMac

Part of the problem is spral and building another soon-to-be-vacant strip mall on arable land while cities die from the inside out. The rotating cope system is not profitable on large scale or in the age of monofarming, but it would save the stripping of land for farming purposes.

Hell, if we did that in the US, Iowa could stop importing its corn from Argentina.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #69
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:

We aren't talking about animals, we're talking about feeding PEOPLE. Animals are screwed.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #70
LiUsAiDh

I resent the video's implication that all farmers treat their animals like this.

I come from a farming area and I know about 30ish farmers. None of them would treat their animals anything like this. Hell, one guy had to sell his cattle because he was getting too old; he went around a series of farms to check which farmers would treat, and appreciate his cows the best. He still visits them occasionally three years on.

Although not exactly many farmers would do this - they still exist. Unfortunately a few farmers lack the respect to treat their animals like living things, yet this is certainly not the majority.

And for the record, I'm not yet vegan, but am slowly quitting various kinds of animal products. Currently, I don't eat beef, rabbit or lamb.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #71
Anti-Mindvirus

I am happily vegan. And I love vegan ice cream, pasta, burgers, hotdogs, cake, cheese, cream cheese, and anything else you can think of. It all tastes better to me than meat ever did. Specially the Tofurky Roast !!!!
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #72
Necrophagist

Riiiight...
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #73
Anti-Mindvirus

yeah, I know
Anti-Mindvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #74
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
http://www.meat.org/

Ignore the fact that it's by PETA (they're cunts) and watch it. I expect all of you to go Vegan, or I'll personally slap each one of you in the chops.
Nah just go free range instead.
It's natural for humans to eat meat and I'm not going to stop eating it.
But yer I do think that animals grown? for meat should be treated well.
So free range is the way.
Although I am being slightly hypocritical there because I don't always make sure the meat I eat is free range, I don't really think about it that much (even though I'm an aspiring vet), but if I'm buying meat and I have the choice between free range and normal meat I would obviously choose free range.
All meat should be free range, but then there are disadvantages as well. - Did anyone watch Hugh's Chicken Run?
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #75
JCC

Free range is a fucking scam.