Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Minyaliel

Eraserhead

Anyone seen it? Opinions?

I just finished watching it, by the way. I´m baffled. I kept repeating "what the fuck?!" and "eeeew" throughout the movie, and had to stop myself from choking as I watched the last part because I really felt like throwing up or something, but still... I don´t know, either David Lynch was - is? - a genious, or a madman. I still haven´t decided which.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Apathy's_Child

A genius, for sure.

I don’t think anyone can honestly claim to understand the movie in its entirety, but certain elements are identifiable once you start looking at it as a completely symbolist work of art. My favourite scene is when he goes to meet the parents – to me it just dramatizes the awkwardness and discomfort of such encounters. To me it’s about the anxiety related to sex, relationships and parenthood – the well-trodden path of bringing out the underlying horror of life.

I think that going into the white woman’s arms at the end means that he commits suicide. Think about the song she sings earlier. As for the furry cheeks, can’t help you there.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Minyaliel

Yeah - i read this interpretation of it being somehow metaphorical of committing sins or something. I must say I find your interpretation a lot more plausible. I was thinking along the same lines, especially with the lady in the radiator.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Disaffected Shoelaces

Ooooh, I'm downloading it at the moment. I've heard a LOT about it, and am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
PocketSizeSun

David Lynch is awesome. I highly suggest you check out Lost Highway and Inland Empire. Both strange and crazy movies, but Lynch is really at an artistic peak with Inland Empire. Plus, Lost Highway has music from David Bowie, so it's great.
PocketSizeSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Ripley

I like the sexual disgust that runs through, and the way he substitutes niggling noises for gratuitous ones.
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Dream

i remember seeing eraserhead when i was little

i dont remember much only that i was scared to sleep for a long time maybe i should reacquaint myself with it soon
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
TheSomnambulist

All David Lynch films are highly symbolic, yet he urges the viewers to connect these symbols to their own lives and come up with their own conclusions. He has never given any answers as to what his films truly mean. I think that this is what draws me to his films. Plus there's the fact that he can even deeply unsettle people with scenes that are taking place in broad daylight... a highly admirable trait.

If you found the movie compelling, the most similar would be Mulholland Dr. and Inland Empire, though all of his films are intriguing and worth viewing.
TheSomnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote