Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #1001
Katshin88@Gmail.com

The last movie I saw was Nosferatu with Lon Cheney. That background music still haunts me and will always stand the tests of time.
Katshin88@Gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 PM   #1002
snapdragon

Ginger Snaps!!!.. again.
snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #1003
soggypicklemuncher

I want to see Ginger Snaps but the last time I looked for it at the rental place they only had the sequels.

You only see what you want to believe
When you creep from the back
I got tricks up my sleeve
24/7 the devil's best friend
It makes no difference
It's all the same in the end

-"Same in the End" by Sublime
soggypicklemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #1004
punkirony

Oooooo! Last night I watched The Grudge. My mother was getting pissed off from the screams being emmited from the parlor.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #1005
Daedalus

I finally sat down and watched The Matrix: Revolutions. It was fecking awesome.
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:53 AM   #1006
Junk Bond Trader

The Andromeda Strain. It's a sci fi film from the 70s about the US government's response to the outbreak of a virus from space. Visionary.
Junk Bond Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:08 AM   #1007
edible_eye

check out the book by michael crichton - it beats the ever-lovin' piss out of the movie.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:29 PM   #1008
cyberJade

Yesterday, I saw The Amityville Horror. I give it a 6 out of 10.
cyberJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #1009
Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberJade
Yesterday, I saw The Amityville Horror. I give it a 6 out of 10.

That movie was appalling.
I recently watched Walic and Gromit, very funny.
Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #1010
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggypicklemuncher
I want to see Ginger Snaps but the last time I looked for it at the rental place they only had the sequels.
If they have the third one, you can watch that. It has *NOTHING* to do with the first one, and you need to know *nothing* about them.

I saw the 1972 version of Solaris, which was amazing. Has *anybody* else in the entire universe ever seen it? Because, I've been asking around, believe me, and it just doesn't seem like it. Come on people, George Clooney is disgusting. Wouldn't you rather watch some obscure Russian actors do this awesome movie?

...Which was truly awesome, by the way. And I really recommend seeing it, the way it explores the topics of faith, reality, and illusion. Of love, where it comes from... Of humanity, and what we're really looking for... It was beautiful. Just beautiful. Ten. Even though it was really long. You just have to look for meaning in every drawn out shot. Because it's there: This movie is *packed* with meaning.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #1011
soggypicklemuncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
check out the book by michael crichton - it beats the ever-lovin' piss out of the movie.
The Andromeda Strain is yet another book I own but have not read. Sigh. So many books, so little time...and motivation.

It makes no difference

Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #1012
soggypicklemuncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
If they have the third one, you can watch that. It has *NOTHING* to do with the first one, and you need to know *nothing* about them.

I saw the 1972 version of Solaris, which was amazing. Has *anybody* else in the entire universe ever seen it? Because, I've been asking around, believe me, and it just doesn't seem like it. Come on people, George Clooney is disgusting. Wouldn't you rather watch some obscure Russian actors do this awesome movie?

...Which was truly awesome, by the way. And I really recommend seeing it, the way it explores the topics of faith, reality, and illusion. Of love, where it comes from... Of humanity, and what we're really looking for... It was beautiful. Just beautiful. Ten. Even though it was really long. You just have to look for meaning in every drawn out shot. Because it's there: This movie is *packed* with meaning.
Mmm, yes I think the video place had the first and second sequels, or the second and third films in the series, however you want to say it. I'd still rather see the original first, but I suppose I'll take what I can get.

I think my parents rented the original Solaris a couple months ago but I didn't watch it. I have to be in the right mindset or I can't sit through a film. And I have a bad habit of not wanting to watch something unless I picked it out; since my family has an MVP pass at Hollywood Video I can just return whatever it was someone else rented and get things that I've been meaning to see. Sometimes I do watch other people's picks, if I'm in the mood to watch 3 movies in a row or I'm bored and tired of the computer/reading.

It makes no difference

Old 10-17-2005, 10:42 PM   #1013
Icarus

I just watched the Matrix, for the billionth time.

Damn you Neo!
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #1014
punkirony

I watched The Fog..yesterday and today. It wasn't as jumpy-like the second time though.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #1015
BloodyBlader

I watched Batman: Begins, I actually enjoyed it, unlike all the new batman comics and cartoons out now this actually didnt suck
BloodyBlader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #1016
soggypicklemuncher

I watched a Japanese film with the English title Nobody Knows (I didn't catch the Japanese title) and about half of some movie my mom rented,
Smile, last night. Nobody Knows was really good and I reccomend it. It kinda sorta reminded me of Grave of the Fireflies, but it's live action and the plot is completely different.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Smile. It starred the now-teenaged actress who played the little girl who got kidnapped in Along Came a Spider, whose acting is only so-so. I would like to find out what happens to the Chinese girl with a facial defect, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkirony
I watched The Fog..yesterday and today. It wasn't as jumpy-like the second time though.
I should rent the original. I think the last time I watched it I was 12 years old or something thereabouts.

@Loy: Ooh, yeah, I want to see A History of Violence so hard, man. Hopefully it will run at one of the few small independent cinemas around here, but if not I guess I have to wait until it's out for rent. I don't think it's the kind of film that would make it to the huge multiplexes, in this area at least. I guess you could call me a Cronenberg fan, though by no means am I an expert on the man or his work.

It makes no difference

Old 10-18-2005, 03:15 PM   #1017
punkirony

Oh, damn..I didn't know that The Fog was a remake. Now I feel really young.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #1018
Loy

Teapot-of course I've seen "Solaris" (I love Tarkovsky). However, I think you were talking about "Stalker" because "Solaris" was boring as hell. Come one, how many times can a train pass the same spot over and over again? No, "Stalker" was "Solaris" done right (on earth rather than space, and more enigmatically). Though I do love the novel.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #1019
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
KIll Bill. The song's still stuck in my head.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:33 PM   #1020
soggypicklemuncher

I finished watching Schultze Gets the Blues about an hour ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkirony
Oh, damn..I didn't know that The Fog was a remake. Now I feel really young.
XD

Yes, and it starred Jamie Lee Curtis. Don't feel bad, it's not like you had any control over when you were born. Sometimes I feel old, like when I'm around my 16-year-old friends -- [random unrelated rambling] For some reason I have very few friends that are my age or older and I don't see them very often so I'm almost always around younger people, which really puts a damper on my sex life. [/random unrelated rambing] -- but compared to the rest of the world population I still feel like a kid. And I'm too young to legally buy or consume alcohol in the Yoo-Ess-of-Ay; in fact I still will be until November 2007.

It makes no difference

Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #1021
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Teapot-of course I've seen "Solaris" (I love Tarkovsky). However, I think you were talking about "Stalker" because "Solaris" was boring as hell. Come one, how many times can a train pass the same spot over and over again? No, "Stalker" was "Solaris" done right (on earth rather than space, and more enigmatically). Though I do love the novel.
I knew I could count on you Loy
But I thought Solaris was good! Just you know... every single shot was about 20 seconds too long... but, when I stop to think about it, the over-artsy-ness of it sort of was good. Like, he made it so you COULD NOT ignore that car scene where they're all driving nowhere- the point is driven into you so hard it's impossible to say "it was just a car scene" or something.

But I haven't seen stalker... I'll totally have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 AM   #1022
Xtreme Malice

Kill Bill Vol II - Again got to admit these 2 films are Quentin Tarantinos best works too date!. Love the ending scene with the 5 point exploding heart technique...glorious
Xtreme Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #1023
Loy

Teapot-As you're probably well aware of, I have no problems with over-artsy films (hell, most of my reviews are overlong wordplays over over-artsy films.....and lots of trashy ones for balance). I just couldn't connect with "Solaris" the same way I could with "Stalker". However, I'd also like to suggest Tarkovsky's other works ("My Name Is Ivan", "Nostalgia", "The Mirror" (where my friend Kevin nailed in describing as "most films strive to be poetic, but The Mirror is poetry"), "The Sacrifice", and if you've got 12 hours to spare, "Andrei Rubelov"). Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the Soderbergh remake of "Solaris"?

Soggy-I'd suggest "Videodrome" (get the Criterion edition if possible), "Dead Ringers", "Crash" (uncut, which means don't go to Blockbuster or Hollywood), and "The Dead Zone" in that order. I'd also suggest the works of Michael Haneke, who's also a philosopher of film the way Camus was a philosopher of literature. "The Seventh Continent", "Benny's Video" (unsure if it's available yet, but try anyways), "Funny Games" (which a few of my friends consider the most fucked up film ever, one of whom saying "and this is why we should nuke Europe"), "The Piano Teacher" (where he out-Kubrick's Kubrick), and "Time Of The Wolf" (which I consider the third greatest post-apocolypse film ever made. "Threads' and "The Road Warrior" are numbers 1 and 2).
Old 10-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #1024
Jane13

"The Fog"... first, it was not my idea and I went out of politeness (my friend's birthday). After all these years people are still making awful horror films. You'd think they's have learned something! I can't beleive the things people do in showers... he's a boy... HE HAS COOTIES >.<
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #1025
Demonista_Ravenesque

I saw this documentary called WHORE and it's about prostitutes...all of them get interviewed and it's a rather interesting watch because they ALL have the same opinion on men....Dirty Filthy Pigs....

But that's their opinion, and I'm not suprised really....I recommend it though.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote