Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #51
Saya

My favourite vampire novel is now Blood The Last Vampire: Night Of The Beasts. It wasn't a rehash of what is always written about vampires, there was a lot of thought put into it. There was a few parts where all they were talking about was evolution theories, philosophy, and history, so I guess its not great if you just want to read solely about vampires. I enjoyed it ^_^.

winged, it sounds like you put a lot of thought into your vampires. Are you going to post the story up when you're done?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #52
deadeyes

I am enjoying reading "The Ethical Psychic Vampire" by Raven Kaldera and two books by Michelle Belanger called "The Psychic Vampire Codex", and "Sacred Hunger." All three have been really holding my interest.
deadeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #53
Corpus_Draconis

I think of vampires as basically human, but need to live on blood instead of regular food. They're just higher up the food chain. They still experience love, hate, anger, grief, frustration, joy, curiosity, etc. They still have basic survival instincts. They still have some urge to procreate (as much as is allowable without being discovered). I don't think they're allergic to garlic or crosses or whatever, except sunlight because that's integral to the concept of vampire.
I also think that they can taste whatever the human has eaten recently, such as bread or chocolate or whatever. Also, if they've taken any mind-altering substances, the vampires will be affected by those. Same with diseases; they would carry them for a half a day to a day.

I also like Rice's idea about the deliberate exchange of blood. It does make it more difficult to turn someone into a vampire, and if the vampire has any sense of self-preservation, he/she won't make "offspring" very often. I also like the idea of power growing as they get older. I guess telepathy could be worked into that; they'd be able to read moods and to cloud minds at first, and that would get stronger and clearer as they got older. I also like Rice's idea of needing less blood as the vampire gets older.

I think one of the things about Rice is she tends to be a little rambly or long-winded, kinda like Tolkein, but in a non-epic-like way.

Also, I think that Hell and Heaven, if they exist, would be just the same as Earth: full of selfish, irritating, conspiring, conniving, petty entities, whether they are demon, angel or human soul. I don't believe a place of eternal goodness and happiness or eternal punishment could exist. It goes so completely against human nature. However, traditional Hell would be more possible than traditional Heaven, I think.
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #54
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
My favourite vampire novel is now Blood The Last Vampire: Night Of The Beasts. It wasn't a rehash of what is always written about vampires, there was a lot of thought put into it. There was a few parts where all they were talking about was evolution theories, philosophy, and history, so I guess its not great if you just want to read solely about vampires. I enjoyed it ^_^.

winged, it sounds like you put a lot of thought into your vampires. Are you going to post the story up when you're done?
I will. I guess I did put a lot of thought into my vampires but I suppose I wanted to make their history seems plausible so I can eventually deal with the future. I started to write this story, not knowing what it was about, and eventually I rewrote the beginning a couple of times and might rewrite some of the middle. Those changes and ideas that came along when I was writing helped me to shape my history of my vampires. Mine! All mine!! XD

Anyways, I will be posting them up soon. I'm working on chapter three but I have to decide where to finish it. I've also been busy with school so I haven't got a chance to write more. This vampire story (called A Walk in the Moonlight) will be posted in the link in my signature.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #55
winged_dreams

I have the first three chapters of my story on my site. Well, it's not technically my site. It's just a bit of it but still. XD Anyways, if you wanted to read it you can now. I don't think it's too good but I'm never happy with my writing. Link in signature.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #56
burningangel

Which Vampire novel/series is everyone's favorit, not in terms of plot or written quality or anything, but in terms of the vampires physicality. Or something like that. Basicly which vampire universe do you like best.

I personaly like the setup in the pencil and paper RPG, Vampires the Masquerade. It's got the set up that i would most like to live with. (even though it isnt a book per say, its either stealing like mad from several, or directly based off of one.)
burningangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #57
A Simple Poet

I cannot say for certain how I feel about Vampires yet. As a student of literature, it is reasonable to assume that somewhere along the way I would have finished Dracula, but At every attempt I have grown bored with the novel. (Contrairwise, I enjoyed Frankenstien ... similiar with its journalistic method of writing). I have never read Rice, though I might at some point. I have played the Masquerade RPG which I enjoyed and I am waiting for a talented author out there to steer that world view into a novel (if it has not been done already without my knowledge.)

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #58
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple Poet
I have played the Masquerade RPG which I enjoyed and I am waiting for a talented author out there to steer that world view into a novel (if it has not been done already without my knowledge.)
White Wolf has published a number of novels set in that particular universe. You can usually find them in a bookstore in the series section, where Dragonlance and Warhammer and such books reside. Fairly interesting reading, but due to personal preference I was more inclined to read the Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion lines.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #59
Isibell

Oh no...it's all about Changeling: The Dreaming....

Oh wait...I'm goth now. I don't like faires. @#*$!!!!!

Ah screw it! It's all about Changeling!
Isibell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #60
winged_dreams

w00t for Dragonlance and Warhammer! ^^ Sorry. I really haven't read that many vampire novels but I do enjoy Lost Souls. I really love the vampire and some of the ideals that go with it but I don't like a lot of vampire stories.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #61
marianne faithfull

The hunger, The last Vmpire and Lilith's Dream: A Tale of the Vampire Life by Whitley Strieber is a very good read.
marianne faithfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #62
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
I’m reading The Vampire Lastat right now. It’s good though at times is move a bit slowly for my taste.

Is it not more than slightly odd that Lestat gets intimate with his mother after making her a vampire?
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #63
liquid_dreams

I am inclined to agree with Mood, Anne Rice completely revitalised the vampire character into something that we, as humans, can relate to on so many levels. if put to a vote, Lestat may well be the most loved ampire in history.
liquid_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:49 AM   #64
liquid_dreams

"Lestat may well be the most loved ampire in history."

*vampire, my apologies
liquid_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:19 AM   #65
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Simple Poet
I cannot say for certain how I feel about Vampires yet. As a student of literature, it is reasonable to assume that somewhere along the way I would have finished Dracula, but At every attempt I have grown bored with the novel. (Contrairwise, I enjoyed Frankenstien ... similiar with its journalistic method of writing). I have never read Rice, though I might at some point.
That's surprising, there's a lot more to vampire literature than the Dracula story, though that is perhaps the most famous I certainly wouldn't consider it the best. I read the first chapter and was somewhat bored so I don't blame you. There's a poem from Lord Byron called Giaour which contains many elements of the vampire theme. Byron's own wild life became the model for the protagonist - Lord Ruthven - in the first vampire novel, The Vampyre written by John William Polidori. This is considered the first appearance of a modern vampire an undead, vampiric being possessing a developed intellect and preternatural charm, as well as physical attraction as opposed to the vampire of folklore who were normally thought of as hideous, unappealing creatures. Of course you can always read Christabel from Samuel Taylor Coleridge, which is also a literary work, as well as The Vampire Countess (La Vampire) by Paul Féval or Carmilla by Sheridan le Fanu which is very atmospheric.

Now Rice on the other hand took a very unique approach to the Vampire Chronicles as her vampires are very emotional, sexy and the whole atmosphere is different. Interesting though. But I'm rambling here so I'll be quiet now.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #66
MistedTruths

Anne Rice's books seem to be the most appealing books about vampires to me. But then again, I'll read pretty much anything about vampires. Though I haven't read many books about or with vampires.
MistedTruths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #67
Vampeilla

revamped

I am into Vampires. Bram Stokers Dracula in my opinion was a beautiful love story. I myself write vampire fiction. I have done things from making the vampire a strong dominatrues to a man draining his females blood, replacing it with ice-water and condeming them to a life beneth the dungeons of his castle. They can never come out or they literally boil to death. I have joined them with creatures of the night (invented by me) and gone as far as given them their own kingdoms beneath a world of darkness, mystical illusions, and erotic copulations.

Yes some vampire tales are stupid, some intense, and some not worth mentioning.

I love to try and put new spins on the "old horror cliche" of vampires.
Vampeilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:48 AM   #68
I Taste of Blood

i would have to say i like ur ideas bout stories!.. my personal favorite vampire movie would have to be prolly An InterView With a Vampire, but my favorite book about them would be Salem's Lot!
I Taste of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #69
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
I’m reading The Vampire Lastat right now. It’s good though at times is move a bit slowly for my taste.
I struggled with that book too, for me I found that alot of the conversations got to technical & I couldn't grasp it. However I did read Interview With The Vampire in a week & it was really interesting to see a different take on vampires with the emotional side & how deep Anne Rice got with it. I've read Dracula too but honestly it wasn't as exciting as I anticipated, but I enjoyed going through all the perspectives of each character.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #70
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChreRot
There's dozens of sites providing e-texts for both classic works but your reading pleasure...

Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla
THANK YOU for posting that link... I've been searching for that book for ages. (Nope, not overly fond of .pdf's). Myself, I'm an avid reader of vampire litterature, both fictional and otherwise. There's a lot of great stuff out there... Some of my favourites being Terry Pratchett's "Masquerade" (absolutely hilarious), "The Vampyre" by Polidori (seriously, if you're into vamp litterature, you have to read this thing... even if it's just because it was the first "modern" vampire story...) and the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I'm reading "Dracula" at the moment, and have not been bored yet... I love the way Stoker describes Jonathan Harker's arrival at the castle - I can so picture it in my head... love it
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:35 PM   #71
Belos

The vampire has always been a stable favorite of mine, both in books and films. The Angel Souls and Devil Hearts trilogy is very good.

As cliche as it sounds, the 2 serious works by Montague Sommers is now out under large paperback re-print and can be found on the web.
*The Vampire: His Kith and Kin
*The Vampire in Europe

You might also enjoy :The Highgate Vampire
by Bishop Sean Manchester - detailing a vampire he claims
to have dispatched at Highgate Cemetary in England.

It's hard to take serious and at the same time - you almost wonder.
Belos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #72
Minyaliel

Tried reading that Summers book once, Belos, and almost fell asleep... how did you manage to get through it?!
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #73
bulletsinmyhead

I am about to read a book my friend recommended called "Dark Demon". She says it's a vampire novel, but I have no idea what it's about. I'll write back about it if it's any good. I just finished Dracula by Bram Stoker.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #74
Belos

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Tried reading that Summers book once, Belos, and almost fell asleep... how did you manage to get through it?!

I actually enjoyed it....vodka helped keep the imagination flowing, I'll have to admit.
Belos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #75
Minyaliel

Hmm... that'd be a thing to try, then :P *laughs*
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"