Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #51
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels
hm... I'm not really into punkrock, but Sex Pistols are very ok. And The Pixies, but they are not really punk, I guess...

btw, what is a typical 'Oi' band? (I could easily wiki it, but I'm to lazy...:P)

hmm, I guess the most well know, classic Oi bands would include:

The Business, the 4-skins, the Oppressed, Blitz, Sham 69, Menace, Klasse Kriminale, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Cokney Rejects...
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:06 AM   #52
Niels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
hmm, I guess the most well know, classic Oi bands would include:

The Business, the 4-skins, the Oppressed, Blitz, Sham 69, Menace, Klasse Kriminale, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Cokney Rejects...
hm... I might check some of them out sometimes, I'm always interested in new music genres... thanks ^__^
Old 04-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #53
Loy

Pathogen-Straight edge? ("the music, the macho, homophobic, forceful & violent subculture AND the X-fisted people that make up/represent that subculture"). Hate to point it out, but you just described the hardcore punk scene in its heyday. Really, the hardcore scene was one of the most racist, sexist, homophobic scenes EVER, which is why I'm not (nor ever have been) suprised by the neo-nazis trying to connect themselves to it. Back when I was in it, nazi skins weren't a big deal to everybody else (and they got the hottest girls in the scene), and it really wasn't until around '91 or so that people started trying to distance themselves from them....at least, people outside of the Dead Kennedys (who, though awesome live, only had 2 good albums-"Plastic Surgery Disasters" and "Frankenchrist"....I don't count "Give Me Conveniance..." as an album, but it's still worth getting), and Ian MacKaye once his balls dropped.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #54
polished_wolf_claws

I like the Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, LARD, 4 skins, Sham 69, GG Allin (Music, not what he does),Exploited (Regardless of possible nazi affiliations) ... and many many more...

"Teh Lordz Satan Protektz me frm ebil in mah PANTS!!!!!11111"
polished_wolf_claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #55
liquid_dreams

I know i'm gonna get the shit ripped out of me, but i think HIM have some very beautiful lyrics in their earlier stuff, lately they have gone a bit mainstream, and they don't know what the fuck theyre on about anymore.
liquid_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 AM   #56
ECAkeris

I was about to say how refreshing it was to find a forum where I'm not the most knowledgable about Punk music (I know very little about it, but love Crass, GBH, Social Distortion, Suicidal Tendancies, Circle Jerks etc), and then someone mentions HIM.....

i'm going to leave it to people who have been on this forum longer than I (anything over an hour :P) to give you the bloody nose you deserve. Good luck
ECAkeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #57
Blushing Heliophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by polished_wolf_claws
I like the Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, LARD, 4 skins, Sham 69, GG Allin (Music, not what he does),Exploited (Regardless of possible nazi affiliations) ... and many many more...
Dead Milkmen are the best. Everytime I see a Camaro, I have got to call it a 'Bitchin' Camaro'.

Ec - it may not have been the most appropriate spot to list a liking for HIM, but they're a good band. You don't have to trash anything that has become remotely mainstream just to prove how 'not' mainstream you are. No one here cares.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 AM   #58
ECAkeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Dead Milkmen are the best. Everytime I see a Camaro, I have got to call it a 'Bitchin' Camaro'.

Ec - it may not have been the most appropriate spot to list a liking for HIM, but they're a good band. You don't have to trash anything that has become remotely mainstream just to prove how 'not' mainstream you are. No one here cares.
Excuse me? Read my post. I was refering to the fact that he listed HIM in a thread about Punk. i don't care whether they're mainstream or not, if they were underground my opinion would still be the same: i listen to a track, the into is quite good, it sounds like they have some promise.....and then the vocals start and I end up defenestrating my radio in disgust.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #59
pitseleh

Quote:
You don't have to trash anything that has become remotely mainstream just to prove how 'not' mainstream you are. No one here cares.
I do. Hehehe...

Mention HIM all you like, liquid_dreams, but keep it in the appropriate thread, not here.

I think I forgot to include a couple (well, several actually) punk/hardcore bands I like. Consumers, Career Suicide and Das Oath. The two first have a real trashy, old-skool punk sound, even though they're newer bands. The third is pure screaming mayhem of the dissonant and nihilistic variety. Really good stuff.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #60
Blushing Heliophobe

If you felt so hotly about the issue, why didn't you just go out on a limb and 'bloody his nose' yourself?

It's really annoying to hear someone who's so new here start predicting when members are going to jump on someone or not.

It's like saying "Oooh, you're gonna get it!"

I don't really care whether or not you like HIM...I care more about whether my turds sink or swim to be honest with you.

But let us make up our minds who we're going to like or dislike because to be quite honest, I could see how Liquid might have made a good natured mistake.

You on the other hand, are obnoxious and can fuck right off.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #61
ECAkeris

Quote:
If you felt so hotly about the issue, why didn't you just go out on a limb and 'bloody his nose' yourself?

It's really annoying to hear someone who's so new here start predicting when members are going to jump on someone or not.

It's like saying "Oooh, you're gonna get it!"

I don't really care whether or not you like HIM...I care more about whether my turds sink or swim to be honest with you.

But let us make up our minds who we're going to like or dislike because to be quite honest, I could see how Liquid might have made a good natured mistake.

You on the other hand, are obnoxious and can fuck right off.
I didn't go 'out on a limb' becuause I haven't been here long enough to know where the boundries are. My post can be seen as a passive-aggressive way of telling him that he is a moron for listing HIM on this thread when he knows full-well that they aren't Punk. Perhaps 'bloody nose' was too harsh a term, but for example, on this very thread someone has been corrected when they asked if SOAD are Punk (note asked, not stated).

The point of the matter never was whether or not i liked HIM, I was merely establishing that I would dislike them no matter how popular they were.

I don't care if you think I'm obnoxious, you have been overly aggressive towards me from your first reply without reading what I actually wrote.

Last edited by ECAkeris; 05-01-2006 at 06:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #62
Blushing Heliophobe

If you think that I'm overly aggressive then you'll have a great time here. Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #63
ECAkeris

Quote:
If you think that I'm overly aggressive then you'll have a great time here. Enjoy.
heh, I look forward to it
Old 05-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #64
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_dreams
I know i'm gonna get the shit ripped out of me, but i think HIM have some very beautiful lyrics in their earlier stuff, lately they have gone a bit mainstream, and they don't know what the fuck theyre on about anymore.
I said HARDCORE/OI/SKATER punk !!!!!!! HIM are not HARDCORE/OI/SKATER punk!!!! OKAY!!!!! READ the damned thread before you post the next time. *annoyed*

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #65
ECAkeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I said HARDCORE/OI/SKATER punk !!!!!!! HIM are not HARDCORE/OI/SKATER punk!!!! OKAY!!!!! READ the damned thread before you post the next time.
*ahem* you were saying.....
Old 05-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #66
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECAkeris
*ahem* you were saying.....
Don't bring me into your argument. I started this thread and anybody who lists bands that are blatently not harcore/oi/skater/ punk are going to get yelled at by me because they did not read the subject title of the thread.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #67
Blushing Heliophobe

Horrorgirl, while a very respected and well liked member, is not EVERY member of Gnet. Pitselah, who in fact is music guru around here, offered polite redirection as well. So I still am okay with my decision to tell you to fuck off, because you're a snotty arrogant little bastard.

That's what I was saying.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #68
Cambodian Breakfast

I like NOFX. They make me happy. I really like Against All Authorty.
Cambodian Breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #69
horrorgirl

Quote:
Horrorgirl, while a very respected and well liked member, is not EVERY member of Gnet. Pitselah, who in fact is music guru around here, offered polite redirection as well. So I still am okay with my decision to tell you to fuck off, because you're a snotty arrogant little bastard.

I overreacted in my reaction to the mention of HIM a bit because I just woke up and I'm still grumpy. I hate it when people, such as the new snotty member, say how I am going to react when they don't know me at all. Annoying.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #70
ECAkeris

Quote:

oh ok then, fair enough, I didn't know how people on this forum react, but I knew that someone would flame him.

ah, pedestals are fun aren't they? You're quite good at it, I've obviously seen better though (everyone's always seen better, no matter what the point of discussion is).

I don't like how you've stated Pitselah as music guru for the whole board. Admittedly I haven't been around long, but surely he doesn't know every aspect of every gernre of music.

I'll accept arrogant bastard, but not the snotty bit. i do admit my arrogance, but I won't make excuses for it
Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #71
ECAkeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
I overreacted in my reaction to the mention of HIM a bit because I just woke up and I'm still grumpy. I hate it when people, such as the new snotty member, say how I am going to react when they don't know me at all. Annoying.

I didn't predict how you would react, but I knew someone would. What's an Internet forum where people aren't flamed for saying HIM is punk?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #72
Cambodian Breakfast

Dude you should get slaped by a Ninja. Then you wont be so snotty. Then I would laugh.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #73
ECAkeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambodian Breakfast
Dude you should get slaped by a Ninja. Then you wont be so snotty. Then I would laugh.

ah, the generic inane post in a public bashing to try and gain further inclusion into a group. Blushing Heliophobe does not need your help
Old 05-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #74
Cambodian Breakfast

She is my wife. I can help if I want. Fuck you.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #75
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECAkeris
ah, the generic inane post in a public bashing to try and gain further inclusion into a group. Blushing Heliophobe does not need your help
You're digging your hole even deeper. Please stop.