Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #26
Steppenwolf

I am saying what I think . You are doing the same .
And we all judge when we express our opinions . You can't have a free opinion without prejudices , that's true .
Steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #27
bleedingheart344

Jillian, I think you're wrong. These people do deserve life in prison. You're forgetting that these kids willingly killed two people. They'd never learn their lesson if they were let back out. Besides, if people think they have to do shit like that to be cool or tough, they shouldn't be around normal society anyways.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #28
Lolly PopMuzik

Admit it, just about all of you in here are only enraged because she's goth.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #29
Godslayer Jillian

What I'm complaining about here is hypocrisy and stupidity.

Half of the people that have commented in this thread say idiotic shit about what these kids "deserve". And these "justices" are worse and even more stupid than the very same murder of Sophie.
Not only that, but as you have just proved by what you said above, you guys put no thought to anything here. "Oh, these guys did something mean therefore they're mean, that's that and life keeps shitting rainbows on my face"
These kids are responsible for murder, and they testified as such, and they accepted their sentences, so it's pretty retarded to be judgmental and say that they're horrible beings that deserve worse than the English justice system has declared.
Which brings me to my point of hypocrisy.
None of you would care about this if she hadn't been a goth.
How many hate crimes do you think have occurred since Sophie's? But are you talking about them? Are you so goddamn empathic about them?
In my city a guy was recently decapitated, put a pig's head in its place and hanged from a bridge. Much more brutal, but is anyone talking about it? No. Because that guy's not a 'goth'
You can rationalize as much as you want, but honestly if this girl had been a black atheist homosexual commie, you would have just said "that's so sad" and moved on.

You're just trying to one-up each other in the stupidity of retribution because you feel arbitrarily "in sync" with Sophie.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #30
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
What I'm complaining about here is hypocrisy and stupidity.

You're just trying to one-up each other in the stupidity of retribution because you feel arbitrarily "in sync" with Sophie.
I hate to say it, but this seems just like they're all falling into the trap of cyclical hate that perpetuates crimes like these between all sorts of subcultures and, well, cultures. Which is a bit depressing to think about.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #31
Beneath the Shadows

I think some of you are forgetting that the fifteen and a half years is not when they will get out of prison, it's when they might be getting out of prison. Their sentence is life. 15 1/2 years is when the first of them will be eligible for parole, but that doesn't mean that they will get paroled.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 AM   #32
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Admit it, just about all of you in here are only enraged because she's goth.
You'd be enraged if she were a minority. Am I wrong? My point is, I'll even admit the reason why this crime was so horrid to me is because it hit close to home. Am I saying that I don't care about other people being murdered? Hell no. It's just that I, like many people, am so used to seeing homicides on the news every day that it's become dull and routine. It's still bad, but you see it all the time.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 AM   #33
jack_the_knife

I really don't think that the offenders should have a lighter sentence, but I don't believe they should have a harsher one. Now that they have a criminal record with murder on it, they will most likely never get a job, and if they do move back in to society, they will most likely be hated and shunned by the community that they live in, possibly even attacked. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, yes, they did kill someone, which is a pretty bogus thing to do, but they have to live with that stigma form here on in, and will undoubtedly have a shitty life.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #34
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
You'd be enraged if she were a minority. Am I wrong?
No shit, Sherlock Jr.

I'd be beyond pissed because in addition to the crime, she would get nothing more than a passing blurb in the media and a small place in yet another spread in Essence Magazine as to why the media willfully ignores and contributes to the phenomenon of turning a blind eye to the perils regarding women of color that will get nearly no reader response.

But my point is that here is a typical white goth being practically deified to where you guys give yourselves and each other pats on the back for making Internet Tough Guy-style irrational threats and indignant fusses that not only make you no better than those kids but also drag her memory through the mud.

Good God, it's like Jonbenet Ramsey and Girl X all over again.

Please let someone else besides me remember this.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #35
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
If you all are serious, you are way worse than these three drunk teenagers.

Oh, and you think that just because they were drunk that they should be given pity for what they did?
For fuck sake, both Harris and his mother laughed when the evidence was being given in Court.
Yeah, they laughed. As far as the parents of these boys were concerned, all the boys had done wrong was get caught.
They felt no remorse for what they did.
Cold blooded killers don't deserve the chance to get out of jail, because who's to say that they won't do it again, and this time actually kill poor Robert?
They deserve everything that's coming to them. If this was America, they'd have been shot by now.
Ms.Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #36
Sir. Helpmann

You're all a bunch of reactionary fucktards, with the exception of Jillian (oddly enough).

Oh what I'd give to live in the nightmare world of irrational hate if you fucks were ever given the keys to office...thankfully there's an entire system set up to stop uneducated, unsophisticated and uncultured swine from ever being given access to that responsibility.

And for good reason.

Why don't you go screaming for the blood of muslims while you're at it too.
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #37
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Helpmann
Oh what I'd give to live in the nightmare world of irrational hate if you fucks were ever given the keys to office...thankfully there's an entire system set up to stop uneducated, unsophisticated and uncultured swine from ever being given access to that responsibility.

And for good reason.
So Bush is sophisticated and cultured? And what about that dodged bullet Palin? Came awfully close.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #38
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
So Bush is sophisticated and cultured? And what about that dodged bullet Palin? Came awfully close.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #39
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
You're all a bunch of reactionary fucktards, with the exception of Jillian (oddly enough).
When did I advocate impalement?
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #40
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
That wasn't a Bush joke, it was Saya proving you wrong.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #41
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Crowbar
Oh, and you think that just because they were drunk that they should be given pity for what they did?
You have no right to talk. You are too histrionic.
I call on your guys' hypocrisy in regards to this one murder, so you believe I'm trying to make martyrs out of the killers. Guess again.

And why are you so much better than them? Mind you, you wanted to do exactly the same thing!
Quote:
they should both be beaten within an inch of their lives
And you wanted to castigate their mothers! Not them who made the crime; you wanted their mothers to suffer:
Quote:
so that their mothers know what it's like to almost lose a child in that brutal manner

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #42
Tam Li Hua

I tend to agree with Jillian on this one. It doesn't matter who committed the crime towards whom: Hate crime is wrong, period.

These guys were just as wrong as the Columbine kids, IMO, and deserve to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Beyond the law, however, it's wrong to try and judge.

If anyone is killed because of their race, gender, sexual preference, clothing style, or any other superficial reason, it's completely and totally moronic. But trying to go vigilante and 'get revenge' on them without the law is even more moronic.

Let the courts do their thing, folks.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #43
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
saying it.
Because that's what three ignorant teenagers deserve for getting drunk at night and admitting their culpability in court, huh?
I sometimes get drunk to beat the fucking band, but I've never killed anybody. They didn't cop to being drunk, they copped to killing someone for the way they looked, you arrogant cunt. Shame that the yobs didn't catch you in the park. You'd be singing a different tune then, I'd wager.

Quote:
Consciously and willingly stripping the lives and futures of three teenagers is your concept of justice?
The teenagers in question certainly didn't mind taking the life of the poor girl cradling her unconscious boyfriend. What would you have the justice system do?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #44
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
You have no right to talk. You are too histrionic.
I call on your guys' hypocrisy in regards to this one murder, so you believe I'm trying to make martyrs out of the killers. Guess again.

And why are you so much better than them? Mind you, you wanted to do exactly the same thing!

And you wanted to castigate their mothers! Not them who made the crime; you wanted their mothers to suffer:
Not me. I'm too nice to beat someone up. They'll probably get beaten up in jail, mind you.
I wish we had the Death penalty over here. Use it as a deterrant for premeditated murder.
Ms.Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #45
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
Shame that the yobs didn't catch you in the park. You'd be singing a different tune then, I'd wager.
Thanks for proving my point.
The only reason you guys are so whiny about this particular death is because you can picture yourself in her place because she wears the same clothes than you, huh?

Quote:
What would you have the justice system do?
The justice system has already done something. Why do you think fifteen years inside concrete walls with worse criminals is not enough? What would you choose out of the opinions of what to do with these guys that the people in this thread have mentioned: cutting their balls and setting fire to a forest, or beaten almost to death for their mothers to cry?

Quote:
I wish we had the Death penalty over here. Use it as a deterrant for premeditated murder.
You have also proven that I'm right. You are too stupid if you really think through and beyond this.
The death penalty has been almost entirely proven to be no deterrent at all for crime. And now you advocate the implementation of this brutal - and racist, allow me to add - form of 'justice' simply because you finally care about one single hate crime.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #46
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
You have also proven that I'm right. You are too stupid if you really think through and beyond this.
The death penalty has been almost entirely proven to be no deterrent at all for crime. And now you advocate the implementation of this brutal - and racist, allow me to add - form of 'justice' simply because you finally care about one single hate crime.
A life sentence is worse. I myself rather like the Death Penalty. The less people, the better.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #47
Bat Attack

These are all good points, some of the best points made in this thread so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
Shame that the yobs didn't catch you in the park. You'd be singing a different tune then, I'd wager.
Quote:
The death penalty has been almost entirely proven to be no deterrent at all for crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
I think some of you are forgetting that the fifteen and a half years is not when they will get out of prison, it's when they might be getting out of prison. Their sentence is life. 15 1/2 years is when the first of them will be eligible for parole, but that doesn't mean that they will get paroled.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #48
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
A life sentence is worse. I myself rather like the Death Penalty. The less people, the better.
The death penalty is not right, the end.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #49
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
The death penalty is not right, the end.
No. The death penalty isn't punishment. But it is a better solution than building bigger prisons.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #50
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Thanks for proving my point.
The only reason you guys are so whiny about this particular death is because you can picture yourself in her place because she wears the same clothes than you, huh?
Who ever said that I dress anything like that? Why should someone have to dress like me for me to be able to empathize with them? She was human, after all, and that should be reason enough.

Quote:
The justice system has already done something. Why do you think fifteen years inside concrete walls with worse criminals is not enough? What would you choose out of the opinions of what to do with these guys that the people in this thread have mentioned: cutting their balls and setting fire to a forest, or beaten almost to death for their mothers to cry?
I never suggested anything more than what's already been done. You called the idea of life imprisonment into question when you asked in post #16:

Quote:
Consciously and willingly stripping the lives and futures of three teenagers is your concept of justice?
The kids are 15, and are going away for another 15. They might as well be in jail for life, because when they get out they won't be able to acclimate themselves to non-prison society.

I find it strange that you seem to support the 15 year term but you find the idea of a giving them a life sentence inappropriate, when, in effect, both options would be crippling.