Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Porphyria

Dear Abby...

DEAR ABBY: I recently witnessed something that renewed my faith in the younger generation.

I was on my way to a craft festival recently and was passing under a freeway overpass. There were the usual homeless people asleep under the bridge, including one man who was sprawled on the concrete. Two young people walking by wore spiked hair, piercings, tattoos -- the whole "Goth" look.

One of them bent down next to the homeless man, then stood up and kept walking. I was concerned about what they might have done, so I walked over to the man. I found the young man had left a bottle of water for the homeless man.

I ran to catch up with the couple and told them I had seen what they did and wanted to shake their hands. The young man just shrugged and said he thought the man might be thirsty.

With young people like that walking our streets, I no longer worry about the future of our country. -- JOEL IN AUSTIN, TEXAS

It's not often you read something positive about people with "the whole 'goth' look." I just thought this was cute.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Evander

It's not often you read something positive at all (well, in context with the article). Or at least not down here... it's nice to find news like such. It's even nicer to be the cause of it (well, not news, but of similar action).

Eh, matter of personal opinion...
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

That IS spooky! O_o
We all know goths only vandalize and spread discordia.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Evander

It must've been holy water they nicked from the church to frame on the hobo. Damn goths.

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. Thus it works! I mean, that's how such news is to be orchestrated anyway, right? In a nonsensical manner?
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
well goths must have more sympathy with marginals of society.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

I find this letter nice, actually. It made me smile. Where is this taken from anyway?
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
TopHaggardDoll

That's cute. I always give to homeless people, it's awesome to know that other people do too. ^_^!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Lapin

I think the writer got a few stereotypes broken down in their head. They might be one less person to look at someone who is different (In any way) and not judge right off the bat.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Y'all r bunch a posers!
I betcha you haven't even kicked a black cat today.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
Death_Mask

Well that was nice, if only more people could see us as a diverse group of people with different personalities rather than a mob of violent idiots.
Death_Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Breathless Horror

It's nice to see another person's eyes opened. She may have started out expecting them to have carved something into his face, but now knows that we're human beings too. Good for her.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
d.Nox

Of course, being an optimistic humanitarian, the letter writer never bothered to check what was actually in the bottle of "water."

Stupid of her to think that weird-haired, be-pierced youth could be anything other than hooligans out to bring down our civilization.

Vodka for the homeless!
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Y'all r bunch a posers!
I betcha you haven't even kicked a black cat today.
Kick my cat Jillian, and I will be kicking you with a pair of metal-tipped stompy boots. Capiche?
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 AM   #14
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porphyria
DEAR ABBY: I recently witnessed something that renewed my faith in the younger generation.

I was on my way to a craft festival recently and was passing under a freeway overpass. There were the usual homeless people asleep under the bridge, including one man who was sprawled on the concrete. Two young people walking by wore spiked hair, piercings, tattoos -- the whole "Goth" look.

One of them bent down next to the homeless man, then stood up and kept walking. I was concerned about what they might have done, so I walked over to the man. I found the young man had left a bottle of water for the homeless man.

I ran to catch up with the couple and told them I had seen what they did and wanted to shake their hands. The young man just shrugged and said he thought the man might be thirsty.

With young people like that walking our streets, I no longer worry about the future of our country. -- JOEL IN AUSTIN, TEXAS

It's not often you read something positive about people with "the whole 'goth' look." I just thought this was cute.
Awww.... now I really do want to give someone a hug...!
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
thedoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.Nox
Of course, being an optimistic humanitarian, the letter writer never bothered to check what was actually in the bottle of "water."

Stupid of her to think that weird-haired, be-pierced youth could be anything other than hooligans out to bring down our civilization.

Vodka for the homeless!
You make me LAWL for certain.

I love going out and talking

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
Miss Cogs

This made me smile. I was actually surprised that she first thought that they might have done something to him. o.O But then again I remembered how the media makes goths out to be. Violent and vandelizers. Though I liked how she thanked them for they did.

Goes to show, that not everyone's opinion can be right the first time.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
firewizardvamp

stereotipical people. they judge people by how they look. they are the dangerous ones. <I apologize for my spelling>
firewizardvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #18
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewizardvamp
Stereotypical people. They judge people by how they look. They are the dangerous ones. <I apologize for my spelling>
Now now, this lady deserves more respect than that. Yes, her original opinion was wrong. But she not only changed her mind to be more open minded, she also wrote to a columnist about how these two goths restored her hope for future generations.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
Clockwork

What a touching anecdote. Nice of the man to give him water (or vodka... either works), and Joel doesn't sound bad either for recognizing this.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #20
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I like that article. It makes me glow fuzzily inside.

Yes, the media stereotype of goths is something along the lines of vicious violent vampiric vandals.

Not as good as rapid rabid rabbits, but it still has the aliteration :P (my friend came up with the rapid rabbits, and my dad tacked the rabid in there).
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #21
Clockwork

They're even deadlier if they're Arabian.