Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Patrick Wolf

I was totally listening to Wind in the Wires and I was all like, what fuck is on my face, and realised the song had made me cry, which is something that has NEVER happened before.

He's an amazing artist in my opinion and he always has a song for my moods, I'm not going to give you links to his music because that would reinforce lazyness in people.

I do recommend his music, specially the songs; Wind in the Wires, Magic Position, Bluebells, Tristan, Teignmouth, Don't Say No, To the Lighthouse, Wolf Song, The Gypsy King, Paris, Accident Emergency....

But all his stuff is good in my opinion, XD

Discuss
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
She_Is_My_Sin

I'm a big, big fan of Patrick Wolf.

But I don't blame you for crying during Wind In The Wires, it's a depressing album. I preferred that and Lycanthropy to The Magic Position, as I found TMP too...polished, if you catch my drift. There were songs I loved, but not enough to get the CD of it.

I've also had the joy of seeing him live. I caught one of his 'Grand Finale' shows in late december and it was phenomenal. He opened up with an acoustic set of a few new songs and older songs, with Bishi playing the sitar (I think.) and backing vocals and Owen Pallett playing the second violin. After the interval there was a full on band and he did more of his electro stuff.

There's supposed to be some news about album number four in a few days, but from what I've heard it's a mix of really full-on electro songs contrasted with some folk stuff. He's also mentioned that it's about the plagues, but I'm not sure.

Other songs I'd suggest are Pumpkin Soup, Idumea, Hazelwood, Penzance, Souvenirs, Adder, the demo of Wind In The Wires, Empress, Theseus, War Games, Beastiality, Six Moons Ago, Hard Times and The Tower.

It would also be worth checking out Final Fantasy, Lightspeed Champion (who has done some fantastic covers of Patrick's work) and Bishi.

Heh, like I said I am a hug fan.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #3
TopHaggardDoll

Aaaahh....I love that man.

His music is fantastic, i've seen him live twice and every single time has been GENIUS! The Childcatcher is my favourite.

My friend loves him too much...she's like..."I luuurve him and want to marry him!" and I say to her.."but...Lucy...you don't know him"...."but I luuuuurve him!"
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 AM   #4
Sir Canvas Corpsey

He's probably the only artist I would ever pay to see live, I almost wish I had a terminal illness so that the Make a wish foundation could let me have lunch with him =P

I'm terrible I know, but his music has been a great service to me, is it weird to say that a musician who has never met me is the only one who seems to "get" me?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
She_Is_My_Sin

I wouldn't say so. I personally find his music quite inspiring.

I'd love to meet him, but the closest I've ever got to that is getting a wave from him at the concert. Ah well there's always the future (hopefully).

He's done some really intimate gigs in the past few months and last month he did some busking in London. I was so gutted to find out that I'd missed that.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
Sir Canvas Corpsey

The trouble is, I would genuinely want to talk to him as another person not some rabid fan, but it is rather difficult to do so without appearing as a fan of said type.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
She_Is_My_Sin

Uggh I really don't like his fan girls (or boys for that matter). They managed to pull of his shirt, head-dress and hair extension (a few of them fought over it after the show) and when he was talking about one of his songs the girl behind me who was dressed like him kept screaming "Patrick I want your babies!". Though I suppose you get that with loads of other artists.

There are a few songs I'd really love to ask him about, as I've found them too cryptic to understand.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I think we all want his babies but we keep that for humorous conversations after the show. I do wish concerts and fans could be there to genuinely enjoy the music rather than have some chaotic orgy of star struck syndrome.

Drinks (tea/coffee) at a cafe seems to be my ideallic and romanticised vision of talking with him.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
Aaaahh....I love that man.

His music is fantastic, i've seen him live twice and every single time has been GENIUS! The Childcatcher is my favourite.
Haha, The Childcatcher was the first song I heard by him. It's a good song but when I first heard it, I was really shocked by it first. But then I got over it. He doesn't play it often live, from what I've been told.