Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Beneath the Shadows

Eugenics

So, we (or at least, many of us) know what eugenics is: the controlled breeding of individuals to discourage detrimental traits and/or encourage positive traits. In other words, selective breeding. Eugenics has lead to some wonderful things. For example, bananas. Dogs, too.

But I'm not interesting in talking about Hand Banana. This topic is about human eugenics.

So, the topic question: How do you feel about eugenics programs concerning humans?

I personally see nothing wrong with it, so long as two specific goals are met: 1) The eugenics programs are designed to encourage positive traits (my preference would be intelligence), and 2) people of all racial/ethnic/religious/etc backgrounds are included in the programs. If those two criteria are not met, we may very well end up with another American sterilization project, or another Lebensborn.

Of course, it's entirely possible for such things to occur, regardless.

I have no idea how to go about such a project. I'm more interested in the concept, and people's reactions to it.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Despanan

No.

Blacktext
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
jack_the_knife

I would actually be in favor of this. I mean stupid people seem to be breeding like rabbits. I think it's only right to restore some balance to this.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Tralis

Ever see Idiocracy? Yeah, that's where we are heading...
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

I mildly agree with some form of eugenics. The best apology for eugenics is the beginning of the movie Idiocracy.
However, state-controlled eugenics? Or a weird form of private enterprise revolving around eugenics? That would pretty much end up being like Brave New World.

Eugenics should only go as far as ancient Spartans did. Those who were more 'virtuous' or healthier were encouraged to have more children.
BUT, how can we rationalize what kind of human is better and why another human is less deserving of procreating. That's pretty much why eugenics can't possibly be serious.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Drake Dun

I understand the motivation, but I really don't think we need to go there, for a whole range of reasons. Anyway, we're very close to full blown genetic engineering now, and that will render it a moot point, forever. No point screwing around with clumsy and inhumane artificial selection mechanisms when you can just monkey with the code. Hebert Spencer, eat your heart out.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Beneath the Shadows

Well, with our level of knowledge in the field of genetics, the definition of eugenics will most likely be expanded to include genetic manipulation. But there's still a lot we don't know. We can't even produce a viable human clone yet, and that's not even "monkeying with the code," as you put it.

Jillian: I'm not suggesting that we prohibit certain individuals/groups from procreating. But if we can use eugenics to increase the average intelligence (as per my earlier stated preference) in spite of random breeding, then so much the better.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Jillian: I'm not suggesting that we prohibit certain individuals/groups from procreating. But if we can use eugenics to increase the average intelligence (as per my earlier stated preference) in spite of random breeding, then so much the better.
Huh? That's what eugenics is. How do you affect allele frequencies except by artificial selection or direct engineering?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
Beneath the Shadows

I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying. Say we have two groups: Group A, who have been enhanced by eugenics, and Group B, who have not been enhanced. Being human, individuals of both groups will seek to procreate with whom they wish. Chances are, that means, in many cases, procreation between the two groups.

If Group A is selectively bred to be more intelligent, and then they go and breed with Group B, offspring of Group B will eventually begin to show signs of higher-than-average intelligence. Unless, of course, Group B somehow managed to breed in a really stupid gene.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 AM   #10
Drake Dun

I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing, but I have a pretty strong hunch that the science behind it is wrong. You can't change the frequencies simply by shuffling things around. Sooner or later you have to control reproduction rates. That much is dictated by mathematics.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Beneath the Shadows

I'm not proposing anything.

As for the examples I've put forth, let me rephrase: Continuing with the groups outlined above, Group B is, basically, what we as a species are now. Our intelligence is average. Some individuals are highly intelligent, some are extremely stupid. But overall, average. Group A, on the other hand, is average at the lowest. In other words, what we consider average, they consider poor. If Group A interbreeds with Group B, overall, the average intelligence of the whole (groups A and B combined) increases.

It's possible that Group B was suddenly start aiming for an all-time low, but since our evolution and breeding has almost always achieved an equilibrium, I see no reason to assume the Group B will go stupid(er).

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #12
JCC

Holy shit, I agree with Despanan.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #13
Beneath the Shadows

Oh, really? And what, exactly, are you agreeing with? Other than "no?"

Surely you have an opinion (of your own) that's expressed in more than two letters.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #14
JCC

I don't agree with a pragmatic approach to human breeding, especially when the trait in question isn't even uniformly genetic, like intelligence.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #15
Beneath the Shadows

If intelligence was uniformly genetic, there'd be no need to eugenically encourage it.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #16
JCC

Yes it would, because if intelligence was uniformly genetic, you would choose the intelligent to breed with one another, as the only possible outcome of an intelligent-intelligent pairing would be an intelligent child. Obviously, this isn't the case, so encouraging people to breed on the basis that they are both intelligent and therefore will create an intelligent child is a waste of time.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Drake Dun

Quote:
As for the examples I've put forth, let me rephrase: Continuing with the groups outlined above, Group B is, basically, what we as a species are now. Our intelligence is average. Some individuals are highly intelligent, some are extremely stupid.
Hang on. If Group B is what we have now, where did Group A come from?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #18
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Yes it would, because if intelligence was uniformly genetic, you would choose the intelligent to breed with one another, as the only possible outcome of an intelligent-intelligent pairing would be an intelligent child.
Well, this statement is easily the best argument against uniform intelligence that I've ever seen.

Quote:
Obviously, this isn't the case, so encouraging people to breed on the basis that they are both intelligent and therefore will create an intelligent child is a waste of time.
If everyone was equally intelligent, no one would be encouraging anyone else to breed for the purpose of creating more intelligent children.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #19
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Hang on. If Group B is what we have now, where did Group A come from?
Read back a bit. I stated that in this hypothetical, Group A is the result of selective breeding.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #20
Drake Dun

...using what? People from another planet?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #21
Beneath the Shadows

What the hell are you talking about? Where are you getting extraterrestrials from?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #22
Drake Dun

It was a joke. The point is, if Group B is what we have now, where did the people in Group A come from? Eugenics is not the science of conjuring human beings out of thin air.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #23
JCC

Quote:
Well, this statement is easily the best argument against uniform intelligence that I've ever seen.
Are you really this dim? The point is that since intelligence isn't uniformly genetic (I guess I have to explain that this means that intelligent parents sometimes have really fucking stupid kids, and really fucking stupid parents sometimes have intelligent kids, since I can't trust you to understand this, it seems), eugenically engineering intelligence WON'T WORK. It's like taking a person that got a scar from being scolded with hot water, breeding them with someone who wasn't and expecting the child to be half-scarred. Intelligence isn't genetic, you're trying to manufacture something environmental.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #24
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Intelligence isn't genetic, you're trying to manufacture something environmental.
Intelligence seems to be largely genetic. As always, Wikipedia is a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ
Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #25
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Intelligence seems to be largely genetic. As always, Wikipedia is a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ
Bah, nonsense. Admittedly, I've never come across these statistics before, but I have a plan of action in place. I am going to read up on the heritability of IQ, as I was making a conclusion only upon observations, and I will construct a counter-argument so dazzingly brilliant that you and Wikipedia will run tails-between-legs as myself, Pavlov and the rest of the Behaviourism Brigadiers drink pineapple juice from golden chalices. Or I'll admit defeat.