Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
L'Oiseau Noir

Jack Off Jill

Though I may get a good scolding for bringing this up, I was curious if anyone else listens to Jack Off Jill. I just recently started listening to their stuff, and I do love it. Jessicka has an interesting voice, and I find it kind of humorous because it sounds like a six-year-old is singing the song (Lollirot being a good example).

So far I like their songs "Lollirot," "Lovesong," and the overplayed "Strawberry Gashes" (I know, bad me). I'm going to look more into their music later, so if anyone has any song suggestions, I'd be glad to check those out sometime.

And if this thread has been done before, I apologize.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
KontanKarite

They're done for. Entertaining... but they're done. Something about a new band is out that's kinda like JOJ, but not with the original singer. Too much drama and really... they were some angsty girls.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
They're done for. Entertaining... but they're done. Something about a new band is out that's kinda like JOJ, but not with the original singer. Too much drama and really... they were some angsty girls.

Angsty yes, but I love my angry girl music, haha.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
KontanKarite

Varuca Salt was cool.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
L'Oiseau Noir

Thanks, I'll check her out. :3

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Beneath the Shadows

Jack Off Jill used to be one of my favorite bands. No longer, though. I guess I outgrew them. I still listen to them from time to time, though, for old times' sake.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
Green.Lady

I listened to them a lot when I was first discovering newer "goth-rock-esque" bands, but now I'll only listen once in a while. Not a bad band, though. I just don't love 'em enough to buy a CD.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
silverbaal

I love em actually. I listen to Clear Hearts Grey Flowers very regularly. At least once a week, if not more. I think they were very original for what they did and I never thought they were trying to be of a certain genre. I love those angsty girls, too, lmao. Obviously, their music was a lot more simplistic than others. But, meh, I like them as they are and appreciate people who will express themselves no matter how much they can't do compared to other bands.

Actually...I thought they were pretty talented. Personally. In a different way than usual. But still.

My favorite songs are "Nazi Halo" "My Cat" "Underjoyed" "Strawberry Gashes" "Star No Star" "Cumdumpster" "When I am queen" "Vivica" and "Clear Hearts Grey Flowers".

Hopefully I can find more bands like them.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Green.Lady

"Vivica" is a great song.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
StasisInDarkness

The main thing I enjoy about "Clear Hearts Gray Flowers" is that the cover of that album is painted by Mark Ryden, who is a genius.
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 AM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My Cat is one of my favorites. Something about her voice appeals to me. And the melodies are cool too.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
AutoGenocite

I love Jack off Jill. They're one of the first band I discovered when I first was interested in 'goth' music. Jessicka's voice is so unique and its such a difference from the man-ish growling voices like Otep or Arch Enemy (both great metal bands). Or the opera-esque voice of Nightwish.
AutoGenocite is offline   Reply With Quote