Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
gothicusmaximus

I really don't care for the term 'Straight Edge'

I came to this revelation tonight. I feel the terms 'Straight Edge', and its common synonym 'clean', as well, implicitly communicate the idea that those who choose to abstain from recreational drug use are somehow superior to those who choose to partake in that sort of activity. If those who don't engage in recreational drug use are 'Straight' or 'Clean', are who who do then assumed to be 'Bent' or 'Dirty'? I personally choose to live a sober lifestyle, but I do not in anyway look down upon those who opt to live differently, and I sometimes experience the sensation that jargon like 'straight edge' has engendered a widespread belief that people like me are afflicted by some sanctimonious, healthier-than-thou attitude, a belief which occassionally interferes in our ability to socialize and form relationships with proponents of casual substance use.
Can't we just use more innocuous words, like 'sober', which demonstrate no negative connotations and didn't come out of some militant hardcore youth movement?
Does anyone agree with me on this point, or am I overanalyzing the whole situation?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Sable_Rose

You know I was thinking something similar...

I was thinking about the meaning "straight" as in heterosexual. Does it mean straight as in the right path? ...and is it a hidden meaning that homosexual are "crooked"?

I suppose if you think about it, that's what it is implying. My thoughts do relate to yours.

Straight Edge =Straight and narrow.
There are paths I consider right and others I consider wrong... but those that go down the wrong path I try not to judge them.

And your opinions on what slang to use... Unless a country deems it "political correct" to say "sober" instead of "straight edge" not many will change their vocabulary, especially since most people don't think about "hidden meanings" and "over analyzing" everything.

Just my take on things. ^_^
Sable_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
Delkaetre

Sadly, I'm afraid I do have to agree with you on the perception of straight-edge. A lot of young people who practice a 'straight edge' lifestyle really are rather sanctimonious and holier/healthier-than-thou - unless, of course, I have simply been spectacularly unlucky in the people I've met who follow that path. Sober or drug-free seem simple enough terms to describe oneself, and don't give that same impression.
Personally, I don't smoke, take s.n.uff, or use any drugs (not even caffeine, paracetemol or aspirin, I don't like reliance on extraneous substances) and only ever drink enough alcohol to be tipsy at worst- never drunk. I'm not exactly straight edge, but remarkably close.
Sadly, there are people out there who are entirely 'stright edge' or with similar habits to mine who insist on declaiming more experimental lifestyles as filthy, occasionally in the company of people who practice those lifestyles. This seems tacky and evangelical to me.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I don't really think it's a big deal. Usually straight-edge kids are really annoying and in your face about it, but the term itself doesn't bother me.

As for "clean," that's as in clean urine, clean blood. Someone that does drugs DOES have dirty urine or blood--it's polluted by drugs.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
ApothoKeri

The term 'straight edge' is from a Minor Threat song. So blame them. That's why that specific term is used and where it started. I never liked the phrase either. Not because of what any of the wording means, or would then mean for others not doing that but because it was just plain goofy when it started.

I mean all these people started running around in the 80's with big black X's on their hands saying "we're straight edge" and everyone else was kind of like "so?" I mean, seriously, everyone chooses their own lifestyle but it was like announcing the unnecessary, when there was no interest of even announcing it to begin with.

It was very odd when it all started.

Perhaps the rest of us should have started writing on our foreheads "heterosexual" or "appreciates a good Merlot" or "uses Coty powder"

I just never got the point of adopting a term for and labeling individual personal preference and using that label to announce several personal lifestyle choices that every person on the planet makes. If someone is interested in your way of life they will ask about the details. It doesn't need a label and a sign that enters the room before you do.

JMO...but I guess I just never saw the real point of the whole labeling at all there.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
Methadrine

I thought the term died in the eighties.

Anyway, I'm as wary with that expression as I am with vegetarianism and to some extent feminism and sexual preferences. All great ideas but sadly corruputed by small but vocal cliques of overly militaristic members of said groups that wants to impose their way of thinking upon everyone without even bothering to see if the recipient is interested or not.

Delkaetre stated it perfectly in her last sentences.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
Haunted House

I think the extremes on either end are annoying as hell. Like Sarah said, people who get all up in other people's faces about drugs and alcohol are annoying, but what is equally, maybe moreso (in my own personal oppinion thats mine and doesn't apply to anyone else but me unless otherwise stated so nothing will be taken the wrong way) annoying is the people who talk about NOTHING ELSE but drugs and alcohol and how much they do/drink and how "fucked up" they got.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
I think the extremes on either end are annoying as hell. Like Sarah said, people who get all up in other people's faces about drugs and alcohol are annoying, but what is equally, maybe moreso (in my own personal oppinion thats mine and doesn't apply to anyone else but me unless otherwise stated so nothing will be taken the wrong way) annoying is the people who talk about NOTHING ELSE but drugs and alcohol and how much they do/drink and how "fucked up" they got.
Lool, who does that?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
I thought the term died in the eighties.

Anyway, I'm as wary with that expression as I am with vegetarianism and to some extent feminism and sexual preferences. All great ideas but sadly corruputed by small but vocal cliques of overly militaristic members of said groups that wants to impose their way of thinking upon everyone without even bothering to see if the recipient is interested or not.

Delkaetre stated it perfectly in her last sentences.
The overboard feminists annoy me.
They tell me that I am ruining my life by not getting a high-paying job, and by desiring to be a stay at home mom. [/rant]
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

I have to agree with the author of this thread: I don't like the term "Straight edge". Hence the gin and tobacco. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
TopHaggardDoll

I don't like the attitude of "Straight Edge" kids either, nor should I have miles of respect for them over other people. I know plenty of people who do drugs, smoke and drink. They don't go on about how "wasted" they are all the time, they're like normal people. I have the same amount of respect for my friends who don't do drugs as those who do. They're my friends, I love their personalities.
You love people because of their personalities, not because they're awesome they because they do or don't take drugs or whatever...that's just stupid.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
killer_asian_Dax

I'm in a very tough position on this one. The term itself is just stupid. The kids who make a deal about being so are stupid and need to learn that nobody effing cares about their life choices.

I personally, highly look down on people who use recreational drugs. (Yes, even pot.) But I, myself enjoy a drink every now and then. Alcohol is just as much a recreational drug as the other stuff, only difference is its legal status.

I usually opt to keep my own mouth shut about the issue entirely.

The kids who get in your faces about being SxE are just as annoying as the people for whom their usage consumes their whole life. They just work and smoke. Smoke and work.

It's beyond me how such things (pot in particular) can take over someone's life like that. And it's so prevalent to the fact that a person who smokes pot is just as commonplace as a person who smokes cigarrettes.

In conclusion: SxE= stupid term that should havbe STAYED DEAD when the eighties ended.

SxE Kids= need to shut up because nobody effing cares.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Lool, who does that?
I have a friend who does talk about getting stoned A LOT...but other than that...Matt, who do you know that does that?
Also, personally...if you are responsible with it...go for it.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
I have a friend who does talk about getting stoned A LOT...but other than that...Matt, who do you know that does that?
Also, personally...if you are responsible with it...go for it.
Yeah, Chad does it. Also Erin (not your sister) and the Julias.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
BLEED REBELION!!!

I didnt know what straight edge was till recently.
This guy I kinda sorta know. I've hung out with him once or twice.
Somehow drugs werebrought up and he goes "I'm straight edge".
I ask him "why" because I want to understand the whole thing. And he goes "cause drugs are stupid".

WOW I feel so enlightened!!!

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #16
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
I didnt know what straight edge was till recently.
This guy I kinda sorta know. I've hung out with him once or twice.
Somehow drugs werebrought up and he goes "I'm straight edge".
I ask him "why" because I want to understand the whole thing. And he goes "cause drugs are stupid".

WOW I feel so enlightened!!!
While it's good that he's not doing drugs or anything, he's probably just saying it because "it's cool" to be straightedge.

I think I liked things better when skinny jeans and fashion mullets were in style.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Mon Coeur Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
The overboard feminists annoy me.
They tell me that I am ruining my life by not getting a high-paying job, and by desiring to be a stay at home mom. [/rant]

Yeah. I thought the whole point of the feminist movement was to give women a choice as to what they want to do with their life. Just because a girl would rather take care of a family does not mean she doesn't care about the movement. Furthermore, I find that most of the feminists I have run into don't really know too much about the actual feminist movement, and it's history beyond Gloria Steinem . They just want to look cool and seem as if they have a cause. It's mostly a lot of loud noise with no substance.
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Wormboy

I hate the term straight edge as well, it makes living a sober lifestyle seem like a trend or a fad.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
Stormtrooper of Death

Hey! I like Minor Threat. The term originated because Ian McKaye said that punks who didn't do drugs or alcohol had "the edge" over people who did. A little clarification, but I suppose you probably knew that.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
ApothoKeri

Yea, I like Minor Threat okay too. Although it's annoying me to no end today since I was thinking of them this morning on this topic now I have "sometimes, good guys don't wear white...they don't wear white" in my head all day long.

ACK
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #21
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
As for "clean," that's as in clean urine, clean blood. Someone that does drugs DOES have dirty urine or blood--it's polluted by drugs.
That's true, but ecstasy cleans the soul. When you're high, you are a child of god, nature, or whatever floats your boat.

Just....... don't OD, kids. Double dropping is NOT your friend (least it won't be in the morning). K? K.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

I thought ecstasy was an escapist drug.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #23
Beneath the Shadows

As far as I'm concerned, "straight edge" is something to shave with.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #24
da fetus

im sure straight edge kids dont care for whiny elitist idiot goths. you guys should just agree to never aknowledge each others existence.

most of you guys are exactly the same as them, poisoning and harming your own bodies for the sake of "fun". Also, how many of you idiots smoke?

p.s. Apathy's_Child, you HAVE to be a troll.
da fetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #25
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by da fetus
im sure straight edge kids dont care for whiny elitist idiot goths. you guys should just agree to never aknowledge each others existence.

most of you guys are exactly the same as them, poisoning and harming your own bodies for the sake of "fun". Also, how many of you idiots smoke?

p.s. Apathy's_Child, you HAVE to be a troll.
Have you ever drunk a soda?
How about eaten a cheeseburger?

Right, now shut up.