Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: ...
.. 0 0%
... 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #6626
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight
Yeah, who am I to be questioning your condescending nature? -laugh-
From a person whose comments to me have only come after statements of an inflammatory nature from other individuals...I'm not sure who you are. Who are you, then?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #6627
LetheanBlacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynneth
From a person whose comments to me have only come after statements of an inflammatory nature from other individuals...I'm not sure who you are. Who are you, then?
I am no one, I am everyone, I am God
Old 09-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #6628
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetheanBlacklight
I am no one, I am everyone, I am God
Oh, well, that clears it up nicely. Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #6629
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
You insinuated, in a previous post, that staring of any kind was equivalent to objectification. Besides that, he didn't say that all he saw, when looking at her, was her breasts.
Actually, no I didn't.
Either read my posts carefully or don't respond to them.

This is what I said:
"Staring at someone is considered rude in most cultures, including this one.
Staring at someone's sexual organs is also rude, particularly in this culture.
It is well known that most women don't like that kind of behavior.

If a man chooses to do something he knows to be offensive, it's wrong.
It doesn't even have to be objectifying her, per se, but it's still wrong."

Nowhere did I say or insinuate that staring and objectifying were the same thing.
I said that staring, while not necessarily objectifying, is still very rude.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #6630
Godslayer Jillian

If I had stared at a girl, she most probably would have smiled, or even flirted with me.
That she slapped Duane is most probably not a defense of her dignity, but a dislike for an action of someone she doesn't approve.
Unless she's really morally upright, she probably acted on reasons as shallow as Duane's.
We are all then inherently rude, and if this is so, then the fact that Duane staring was rude becomes irrelevant as an ethical argument.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #6631
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
If I had stared at a girl, she most probably would have smiled, or even flirted with me.
That she slapped Duane is most probably not a defense of her dignity, but a dislike for an action of someone she doesn't approve.
Unless she's really morally upright, she probably acted on reasons as shallow as Duane's.
We are all then inherently rude, and if this is so, then the fact that Duane staring was rude becomes irrelevant as an ethical argument.
Not really, dude.
Doing something wrong to someone who is also doing something wrong doesn't make that first action ok.

Also you can't know why she slapped him.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #6632
Duane

Compared to what could've happened, the slap wasn't that bad. I prefer a slap across my face, to ... meeting her BMB.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #6633
Godslayer Jillian

But I can assume. We are all here assuming. And I will assume that she's not morally upright because it would simply be illogical to take that improbable attitude as the basis of my arguments.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #6634
JCC

The slap is irrelevant.

The point is that it's rude to just stare at someone's tits.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #6635
Godslayer Jillian

You're saying you never stare at women's breasts?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 09-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #6636
JCC

Quote:
You're saying you never stare at women's breasts?
I don't, no. I might occasionally glance over and approve but I wouldn't stare.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #6637
Godslayer Jillian

Then I admit you're a higher person in that sense than me.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #6638
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Then I admit you're a higher person in that sense than me.
Jillian, I'm surprised at you!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #6639
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xParadigmx
im reall worried about my sleeping arrangements for hte next few days. we are supposed to be getting a category 3 hurricane hitting with a range of about 200 miles and we are in it. it probably wouldnt be so bad and i probably wouldnt be so worried if i didnt see people evacuating and boarding up their windows. im scared that this is going to be really bad.
I hope you will be ok, but let me tell you something that may bring you comfort:
my great-grandmother (yes, I knew her, she lived with us for a while, she lived to 98) lived in Harlingen when, I think it was Hurricane Carla or something hit the southern tip of Texas, and filled her entire downstairs with knee high water.
She carried sacks of flour, beans, bottled water and other stuff upstairs by herself and rode it out. When the water receded she swept out the mud, cleaned up, brought the food back down and made tortillas (I can still taste her homemade flour tortillas in my mind! Slurp!)

If a 98 year old great-grandmother can survive a hurricane so can you!
Hang in there, and let us know you are safe when you can get to a computer again.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #6640
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Jillian, I'm surprised at you!
Why are you surprised? The vast majority of guys over the age of 12 stare at tits, or at the very least give them a less than fleeting glance when they don't think anyone will notice.

Anyway on to my rant: Last night we decided to try and reintroduce Momo to the main cage since the baby hamsters are all moving around pretty well and we didn't think that he would be a danger to them. Well he wasn't, hell he didn't seem to care at all that the divider between the cages had been removed, Mitchy on the other hand noticed right away, ran over, and beat the crap out of Momo. She managed to cut his leg before we were able to separate them. So we decided to put the separator back in place and leave it at that until the babies are gone and then try again (Momo seemed to be doing okay but we were going to keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if he got worse). This morning we discovered that Mitchy managed to move the separator (we still don't know how), she attacked Momo again, and she took over his cage. He was bleeding from the leg (we think it was the same cut and it had been reopened) and from some cuts on his face. Poor little guy is at the vet right now. The real kicker is that Caity now thinks that i would be best for us to find a new home for Momo. Sure Mitchy is the one biting us, attacking other hamsters, and moving the separator, not to mention the fact that we all said that we wanted boys and Mitchy turned out to be a girl but that all doesn't matter because Mitchy was here first, at least that is the reason Caity has given us. Oh and on top of everything she informed us that she has found homes for all of the hamsters, the problem is that we already told her about a week ago that we had two friends who wanted at least one, but hey at least now one of them can have Momo
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #6641
Solumina

*update* Momo is on his way back from the vet, he should be fine we are just supposed to give him antibiotics twice a day so that his cuts don't get infected. Also it looks like Em (one of my bestest friends) is going to take him in about two weeks (he will be staying at her boyfriend's place and they are currently doing some work on the house and she wants to wait until that is complete before bringing Momo over there)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #6642
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Why are you surprised? The vast majority of guys over the age of 12 stare at tits, or at the very least give them a less than fleeting glance when they don't think anyone will notice.
The vast majority of people are also better suited to the life of a neanderthal.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #6643
Wynneth

Quote:
Actually, no I didn't.
Either read my posts carefully or don't respond to them.
You have my apologies. Upon going back through the pages of responses and sorting through the different discussions on the thread, I can see where you clarified your stance.

Quote:
Nowhere did I say or insinuate that staring and objectifying were the same thing. I said that staring, while not necessarily objectifying, is still very rude.
That said... I think my understanding of your responses to Duane's dilemma was colored by the way you responded to the issue of whether or not staring at someone's breasts was inherently sexist. You seemed to equate the fact that not being offended by men who enjoy women's breasts (and looking at them) as one step away from being ok with men goosing women. Which led, confusingly, to the idea that women who didn't mind having their chests looked at...were inviting men to r@pe them. But, perhaps I misunderstood your vitriol. Once again, my apologies.

Quote:
The vast majority of people are also better suited to the life of a neanderthal.
People, despite how far we've progressed toward civility, are still animals. We have instincts and urges that, through years of morals, we've learned to control, somewhat. Some of us do better than others. Some of us don't. Do you agree?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #6644
JCC

Cats breed through ****.

We are animals.

Therefore it is justifiable to ****.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #6645
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Cats breed through ****.

We are animals.

Therefore it is justifiable to ****.
Not quite. As I said, we, being advanced sentient creatures, have made great progress and continue to strive toward civility. Therefore, I don't think that train of logic follows.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #6646
JCC

Quote:
Not quite. As I said, we, being advanced sentient creatures, have made great progress and continue to strive toward civility. Therefore, I don't think that train of logic follows.
Well, why does it apply to one thing and not another?

Either it being the nature of other animals is a justification of everything, or it isn't a relevant argument, you can't pick and choose.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #6647
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Well, why does it apply to one thing and not another?

Either it being the nature of other animals is a justification of everything, or it isn't a relevant argument, you can't pick and choose.
Because you're talking about absolutes. When it comes to human nature, absolutes don't exist, insofar as I know. No one is perfectly civil, nor perfectly barbaric. My statements were meant to reflect that concept.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #6648
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Because you're talking about absolutes. When it comes to human nature, absolutes don't exist, insofar as I know. No one is perfectly civil, nor perfectly barbaric. My statements were meant to reflect that concept.
I think it's fair to say that we should strive for a happy medium rather than a creepy Duane medium.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #6649
JCC

Quote:
So why is staring at a woman's titties justifiable by nature, but not ****? I mean, **** is substantiated, we know that animals breed that way, humans used to. If anything, staring at tits is the one not backed up by nature.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #6650
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
So why is staring at a woman's titties justifiable by nature, but not ****? I mean, **** is substantiated, we know that animals breed that way, humans used to. If anything, staring at tits is the one not backed up by nature.
I didn't say it was justifiable, simply that it's a natural instinct. Many men suppress that desire. And, since it's not impossible to satisfy one's natural desire to copulate without resorting to r@pe, most people don't even get the urge to r@pe. Also, it's fair to point out that, as others discussed in another thread, r@pe isn't even really about sex. It's about power and control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I think it's fair to say that we should strive for a happy medium rather than a creepy Duane medium.
Agreed. A happy medium is better than extremes, any day.
Closed Thread