Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Tha Duckman

Spelling and grammar.

You know what pisses me off? When people nit pick about spelling and grammar where it's not needed. Now, if you were to hand in a news paper article or a thesis or what ever, then yeah, spelling, grammar and punctuation should all be correct, but on a forum? It really does not matter.
For the record, I'm obsessive compulsive, and one of those things I'm obsessive compulsive about is the issue of spelling. grammar and punctuation. BUT I do realise that some people are either shit at these things, or don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut about it, so I leave them to their own devices. Just so long as mine is OK, so what. At least I know that I have the brains to put together a sentence properly.
My question is, why do people on here give so much of a crap? I know that this is, essentially, a literary forum, but I've been on furms where it's all about gaming, and there are people on it who haven't played video games since the Amstrad was obsolete. why on Earth does it matter so much?
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
They care because this is a Literary site. Look at the top, underneath the 72 sized Font, where it says "Gothic.net". What does it say underneath?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Tha Duckman

Yeah, smart ass, but you didn't actually answer my question. You see in my post where it says "I know that this is, essentially, a literary forum, but I've been on forums where it's all about gaming, and there are people on it who haven't played video games since the Amstrad was obsolete."?
This is the point I'm trying to make. What does it matter?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
HumanePain

When trying to read someone's post, and it is filled with errors, it becomes difficult for the reader to understand exactly what the poster is trying to say. The offending grammar, as well put by another member here, is like "sandpaper to the eyes".

Exercising good writing skills demonstrates respect for the readers, and also helps command respect for the author.

Do you disagree?

Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
Tha Duckman

Yeah, I do. When some one posts three different things over one fucking letter that was either a typo or a simple mistake on the part of the original poster, I think it's a bit much, and borders on arrogance.
As for respect, not flaming people for spelling mistakes is an AWESOME way to gain respect. Or is it all neurotic?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Mir

I R teh r0x0r0 speleler mastah! Bow befo meeh f00!

Oh and I completely agree with the point you are trying to make, Duckie.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Duckman
Or is it all neurotic?
It is merely applying a common set of rules so that we may all communicate. If we each descend into our own personal vernacular and idioms, misunderstanding occurs and we fail to communicate.

I am able to exchange posts about cemeteries with members from Norway, because I do not say "tell me which dirtnaps are da shit?". They would have no idea what I was talking about. Conversely, they do not use their native slang, so that I may understand them.

Even more important (to me personally): as one's skill in writing becomes advanced, glorious and eclectic ideas may be painted in the minds of others, a magnificent story or idea may be told with sublime elegance that will be remembered.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Tha Duckman

Thank you, Mir.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Tha Duckman

You know what else helps people understand each other? Not using archaic language. What I think it is, is people basically saying "I read the dictionary more times than you" and it's fucking retarded.
As for the slang, fine, use real language, but people will generally know what you're talking about if you spell silk "slik" by accident. If they don't, then I really don't think they should be on a forum any way.
This whole spelling, grammar and punctuation shit is arrogant, pathetic and childish. Not every body has an extensive vocabulary, and it's sure as fuck not within your right to persecute them for it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Mir

HumanePain, the thing is that, considering the number of posts made to the Literature section of this forum compared to the other sections, this forum could hardly be considered, as you put it, "A Literary Forum".

I also feel that you aren't quite approaching Duckie's questions full on. You're absolutely correct when you say that, skillfully written phrases/paragraphs can paint a picture but seeing as that does not happen as much as you'd expect, on "A Literary Forum", it isn't really an issue.

Furthermore, the point I completely agree with, that Duckie made and I'll quote him;

Quote:
BUT I do realise that some people are either shit at these things, or don't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut about it, so I leave them to their own devices. Just so long as mine is OK, so what. At least I know that I have the brains to put together a sentence properly.
It is so much simpler to ignore and block users. Flaming in most cases accomplishes nothing. Instead, you just end up coming across as an arrogant prick.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Shyantra

Your right duck, not everyone has an extensive vocabulary. But one doesn't need an extensive vocabulary to write what the want to say. If the writer simply just wants to write "I saw Jane run" instead of "I watched Jane gloriously running through the park with a magnolia colored sunset in the background", they can. We inside this forum wish that others who come here do not use language, i.e. @$$, that it takes the reader time to understand what they are trying to get across.

And of course if you wanted to create a thread for that, it is perfectly fine, but don't expect everyone to understand you in what you are trying to say 100% of the time.

This is what HumanePain is trying to nicely tell you.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
HumanePain

Well, I am at a loss to recall when I ever flamed someone for not having an extensive vocabulary. Please correct me if I am wrong (with specific examples please).

As to this site's heritage as a literary one, I must sadly agree that it could use improvement, thus my position in responding to Tha Duckman. It would return to a literary site if everyone did their best to compose well written posts.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
Mir

Yeah Duckie, you need to accept that certain things are the way they are (Pseudo-Intellectualist Bullshit) and worry about moving on. Honestly.. no, I think I'll keep my opinion to myself. As MollyMac has very eloquently said before, everything is good till you say something no one wants to hear.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Well, I am at a loss to recall when I ever flamed someone for not having an extensive vocabulary. Please correct me if I am wrong (with specific examples please).

I do not mean that you did. You're the sweetest guy on this site.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #15
HumanePain

And I do apologize to Tha Duckman for my initial post in this thread, that was a smartass thing to say.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Mir

ROFLOLZORZZZZ! Sorry, I'm in a weird mood today. Yeah I know what I'm missing. My guitar. Adios muchacho's.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain

Nu uh, remember when you killed that guy for spelling pulchrintudinous wrong?
Oh man, I never knew you could throw people like that.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle
Nu uh, remember when you killed that guy for spelling pulchrintudinous wrong?
Oh man, I never knew you could throw people like that.
HAHA! You're killing me man!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #19
MollyMac

If the errors are such that impede any understanding of the post, then yeah, I can see the nit-picking. If the post is literary in nature and the errors impede the clarity, cadence, etc., I can see it.

But if the point is clearly made aside from some typos, then yes, it is neurotic, arrogance, or else the only card that they can bring to the table. If the only way you can defend yourself in an argument is to attack spelling, then you may as well take your dollies and go home.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
killer_asian_Dax

Ya, I'm a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Duckman
....For the record, I'm obsessive compulsive, and one of those things I'm obsessive compulsive about is the issue of spelling. grammar and punctuation. BUT I do...
So much for punctuation.

Quote:
My question is, why do people on here give so much of a crap? I know that this is, essentially, a literary forum, but I've been on furms where it's all about gaming...
forums

Mwa ha haaaaa!!!!

Ok, I'm done.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #21
Vyusher

In pieces of writing such a poetry, fiction, or essay, I believe correcting errors is important. However, if one is simply speaking to another about the meaning of a K, rather than C, being used in Doktor Avalanche's name, and happens to type "jsut" instead of "just," a long-winded correction, or even a notation of the mistake, is wholly unnecessary. If one can honestly not understand a word with a single letter misplaced from its context, something is wrong. Since it neither impedes understanding nor reflects poorly upon a piece of more formal writing, I see no problem, and am always mildly irritated by those who seem to derive so much ego from their ability to point out a typo the poster may even have noticed, yet been unable to edit. Even if they did notice it, skill in seeing "comign" as a mistake where its writer does not isn't what divides men from boys (or women from girls, or men from girls and women from boys), as it were, let alone Gods from Mortals and Sentients from Beasts, as so many of our steadfast brethren on the internet seem to believe.
Vyusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
MollyMac

*snicker*

I liked that last part. Probably more than I should

I just think it's sad when it boils down to spelling and grammatical errors when someone has made a clear point. It is as if those who criticize rreally have nothing valid to contribute other than to point out the obvious.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
killer_asian_Dax

OR maybe you're just in a dick kind of mood. Like I am.

Btw- Vyusher, that was the most long-winded, overly embellished response I've ever read. It almost made me want to smash my face into the monitor or drink English tea with my pinky up.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #24
MollyMac

Almost? Damn. Vyusher should have tried harder.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #25
Vyusher

Alas and alack, you wound me. My responses to nigh-senseless debates must grow longer still. Although, I'm accustomed to people telling me they wished things to be longer.
Vyusher is offline   Reply With Quote