Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
eternalcrimson

The Awakening

I could have sworn that I was just here
Sleeping just beneath the sheets
Awaking above my bed
Floating with many thoughts inside my head

I could have sworn I was just here
I said quaintly to myself
The doctors unsure of my pending fate
Under my pain and sedation

The last thing I said was “I was just here.”
As I was walking the crosswalk
Getting to the other side of the street
I must hurry, I must not be late

Suddenly I was no longer here
I remember the sound of commotion
Sirens, screams now a crowd gathers
For now I have become the spectacle

Suddenly I was no longer there.
I was taken away
I’m in need of care
I’m in need of help

I now don’t know if I am here or there anymore.
I’m just lying undisturbed, looking up ahead
Motionless, still and scared
What does this all mean?

I am there in the ER
Doctors scurrying all around
Motionless, still and scared
What does this all mean?

So here I am
Sleeping here just beneath the sheets
Awaking above my bed
Floating beside myself

Being here by myself I have many emotions
I feel weightless
I feel clear
I feel free

Now I’m here
Now it makes sense
I am on the other side
I’ve made it through

I am here
I am soul
I am spirit
I am free….I am here
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Aaroneet

This has the flow of a song. Did you intend for it to be that way?
Very nice.
Aaroneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Vako

I enjoyed it. Very spiritual. My interpretation is that it has to do with contemplation of the process of dying and the afterlife.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
eternalcrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
This has the flow of a song. Did you intend for it to be that way?
Very nice.
No but it sort of turned out that way.

Actually this is my first attempt to write a poem in more than 15 years.

When I was in high school in English class we were given an assignment to write poems. Up until that point I wasn’t completely inexperienced in the subject. So I spent all night researching, calling up and asking friends for their input and help and reading various books. It was one of the few times in high school I was up all night writing trying to perfect a poem. The next day I turned it and the day after I got my grade. It was an “F”. It completely devastated me. It was the first time I received an “F” in high school. So I looked around me and noticed that everybody else received an “A”. The teacher then stood and told the everybody that they would receive extra credit if they read the poem in front of the class. So one by one everyone got up and started to read their poetry and I noticed a theme. My classmates words more resembled rap/hip-hop than they did poetry. Some of them even did their “poems” in the form of a rap song. Towards the end of the class everybody had read their poems except me. The teacher said in a condescending tone “Don’t you want to get up and read your poem?” I uttered in a small voice “no.”

Actually it was from that point on that I was disenchanted with poetry, fiction, etc. Anything having to do with any association with “English” class. It wasn’t until recently particularly me joining gnet that my spark for poetry began to grow. Reading a lot of the poems on here has inspired me and I’ll probably write more in the future. I know my first attempt isn’t the best but I hope to get better and hope you all can give me further input in the future. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
KontanKarite

Your teacher was a dumb fuck who wouldn't know literature if it fucked him in the ass with a rusty chainsaw. You CAN NOT give emotions an "F". I makes no god damn sense.

Writing poetry is art. You are expressing yourself. Poetry is almost as intimate and embarrassing as sex. If I ever ran into that guy, I would say that he's a fucking fool.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
eternalcrimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Your teacher was a dumb fuck who wouldn't know literature if it fucked him in the ass with a rusty chainsaw. You CAN NOT give emotions an "F". I makes no god damn sense.

Writing poetry is art. You are expressing yourself. Poetry is almost as intimate and embarrassing as sex. If I ever ran into that guy, I would say that he's a fucking fool.
Actually you described how I felt to a T. It felt as if I was r a p e d. I gave so much of my time and energy describing my innermost of emotions. If I remember correctly (After getting that “F” I tried to block out as much of that day as possible.) he wrote down that I wasn’t being like everybody else. I thought the whole idea of poetry is to be as unique and creative as possible and not be a conformist. When I went home that day I cried myself to sleep.

BTW thanks Kontan. Calling him a “tool” at the time would have been fun lol . Since being here and writing the poem I’ve forgiven him (as a matter of fact writing that poem felt cathartic and symbolized to me that I was letting go of what happened.) He was a P.E. teacher at the time and he certainly wouldn’t know what true literature was. I don’t even think he knew what the difference was between Flowers From Algernon and Rainman.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
KontanKarite

"Fool", "Tool"...they both work.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote