Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
Tanzdiktator

About "cybergoth"

Hi there, first of all i'm not from UK so sorry for my english.)
I have a few questions about guys known as "cybers" or "cybergoth".
1. Is the cybergoth а subculture? Or it is just a goth type? Or it is just a fashion?
2. In different sources and FAQs i see different opinions about cybers history. For example, there is an opinion kinda "first cybers appears in UK from fans of Goteki and Nekromantik, in late 90s". What do all of u know about the first cybers? How it was happened?
3. Music. Nowadays cybers listen various genres from futurepop to techno, from EBM to darkpsytrance. Вut why so? Is that right opinion - "original cyber music, Cybergoth, is: progressive, futuristic, cyberpunk-inspired Electrogoth(goth electro), for example, Intra-Venus, Katscan, Narcissus Pool".?
4. Industrial, rave, gothic. I can't understand, how cybers become a fusion of these so different cultures and scenes? Rivetheads, ravers and goths are the same different, as rusty rivet, glowstick, and silver cross. I confused about.)
Tanzdiktator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

1. From what I understand, cybergoth is just a goth'ed up version of cyberpunk. Basically, it's folks who like the idea of futuristic clothing and gadgetry.

2. I don't know anything about the history, I'm afraid.

3. Well, I would imagine they listen to that because it sounds more like spaceships, ray guns, and space travel than most other music, but that's just a stab in the dark.

4. I dunno; all those styles have their roots in either Goth or Punk fashion [which, Goth came from Punk, oddly enough], so it doesn't surprise me that they are still loosely connected.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Tanzdiktator

To reply 4 - yes, goth fashion has roots in punk. But rivet and rave fashion have another roots. So its weird to combine these styles

Hmm, and what about cybergoth as music genre(subgenre of UK electrogoth)?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Tam Li Hua

I really don't know. You'll have to google it.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
ape descendant

Google it, and give us a report... with pictures.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Raza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
1. From what I understand, cybergoth is just a goth'ed up version of cyberpunk. Basically, it's folks who like the idea of futuristic clothing and gadgetry.
That seems obvious, but is it really?

Cyberpunk is bloody dark. And mostly a genre of fiction, not so much a subculture. It's about dystopian social dynamics and scary technologies that send the implications of human immorality into overdrive.

Cybergoth... is mostly a style of club dress. Much brighter and more cheerful than goth. Something isn't supposed to get more cheerful when you substitute 'punk' for 'goth' in an otherwise equal equation.

I'm not saying cybergoth clothing wouldn't work in a cyberpunk setting, but it's not what goth would look like if you merely put it there and adjusted the technology slider. It's really more like cyberglam, or something.
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
KontanKarite

Cybergoth is extremely relevant.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
KontanKarite

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
DUDE WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
Doyoumoderatingmotherfuckshonestlyneeda10character replytothis?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
Tanzdiktator

So, cyber is just club wear kinda "i am freaky futuristic gothic android whoooааа!!", not subculture? Аnd what about music? Most cybers like EBM, Dark Electro, Futurepop, Dark wave. So if people like similar dresscode and music, can they be labeled as subculture? I think they can.

Also, about history. Few years ago i found some old interwievs with UK electrogoth bands, and i find out that Goteki(Sneaky Bat Machine) and Narcissus Pool were the first bands, labeled as cyber-goths. But they all were electrogoth bands, not futurepop or EBM. So why nowadays cybers listen mostly to postindustrial, not electrogoth? I dunno. Paradox?))
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Raza

Cyber hasn't really taken off from the gothic club scene at large, at least over here. There's nothing but the clothing that's cyber without also being goth (by a broad definition of goth).

Doesn't look like it's gonna, either. Cyber is dying again over here.

It can still be called a subculture though, if you like. Certainly it's a distinct aesthetic with every potential for a discrete following. This just hasn't really happened (yet).
Raza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Heart-and-Soul

cybergoth is kitsch :P
Heart-and-Soul is offline   Reply With Quote