Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Saya

This might be bad news for some of you

Quote:
New research from Brigham Young University suggests that social relationships can predict a person's odds of living or dying.

The researchers found that social connections can improve the odds of survival by 50 per cent.

According to the study, published in the peer-reviewed journal PloS Medicine, a lack of social contact is as damaging as smoking 15 cigarettes a day or being an alcoholic.

The researchers also suggest a lack of social interaction can be more harmful than not exercising and is twice as harmful as being obese.

They came to that conclusion after reviewing 148 previously published studies that measured the frequency of human interaction and tracked health outcomes for an average of 7½ years.

"When someone is connected to a group and feels responsibility for other people, that sense of purpose and meaning translates to taking better care of themselves and taking fewer risks," said BYU professor Julianne Holt-Lunstad, a co-author on the study.

The researchers say relationships provide a level of protection for people of all ages.

"We take relationships for granted as humans. We're like fish that don't notice the water," said Timothy Smith, the other author on the study.

"That constant interaction is not only beneficial psychologically but directly to our physical health," he said.
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...hip-study.html

On the other hand, you could always print this out and use it as a pick up line. "Please sleep with me, my life depends on it."
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Fruitbat

Shoot - i better go out and buy an eco-coffin right now.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Tam Li Hua

Well, it -has- been proven that babies need regular physical touch or they get sick and die, so this makes sense too.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Hearts_Purple

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Shoot - i better go out and buy an eco-coffin right now.
Me too! I've never been good at maintaining human relationships. Guess I'm gonna die early. Fuck it.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Sinjob

Yeah. Isolation and lack of human contact leads to sheer madness...If you think about it. The mind is a powerful fuckin' thing. At one point, I found myself mentally trapped to the verge of a self-condemned psychosis thinking about every move I made. This was a time I was all alone and pretty much a vegetable (it was my choice in the first place).

The mind is a powerful thing, boys and girls.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
Fruitbat

Sinjob - there are loads of examples of people who go off to do Buddhist retreats for 1 to 5 years, and they have a really hard time assimilating back into society afterwards.

Heck I can't even go camping for a few days, without feeling all freaky when I come back to society. Friggin' sucks.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Sinjob

That's why I'd go to into that kind of journey at the END of my life, once I feel society has totally lost its color.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
ape descendant

Its kind of a big DUH, humans are social creatures, like the other great apes. We need eachother.. perhaps even more than the other apes... Its probably a huge reason we've developed cooperation as much as we have....

Now, if they could tell us why this is the case... that would be a bit more impressive.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Hearts_Purple

If we could learn to be stronger rather than limiting ourselves to being 'social creatures' I think we could really advance as a species.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts_Purple View Post
If we could learn to be stronger rather than limiting ourselves to being 'social creatures' I think we could really advance as a species.
I don't think I have ever disagreed more with anything in this forum.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
JCC.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Its kind of a big DUH, humans are social creatures, like the other great apes. We need eachother.. perhaps even more than the other apes... Its probably a huge reason we've developed cooperation as much as we have.
There's this Chinese (I think) custom, where when people want something different, say, what movie to go watch at the cinema, instead of saying "OK, well, Him Kinh Jon Poo Yip picked the last one, now it's Fung Loo Shung Lipton Tee's turn," they go see a movie no one wants. As a result, everyone is miserable. That's co-operation.
JCC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't think I have ever disagreed more with anything in this forum.
That's too bad. I think that a lot of what makes people the most miserable in this world is the modern social conventions that are out there. I do not live my life based on what society likes or wants. I do not care about society, only the few people that I know.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC. View Post
There's this Chinese (I think) custom, where when people want something different, say, what movie to go watch at the cinema, instead of saying "OK, well, Him Kinh Jon Poo Yip picked the last one, now it's Fung Loo Shung Lipton Tee's turn," they go see a movie no one wants. As a result, everyone is miserable. That's co-operation.
So what your saying is that if in China, say you want to see a movie you don't want to see and then there is a good chance you will see the movie you want to?

i like it
Old 08-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Ben Lahnger

Does China let any of the good movies into the country?

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Hearts_Purple

Probably not.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
JCC.

Thumbs up

China actually makes some amazing cinema.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
JCC.

Thumbs down

Quote:
That's too bad. I think that a lot of what makes people the most miserable in this world is the modern social conventions that are out there. I do not live my life based on what society likes or wants. I do not care about society, only the few people that I know.
[Eye roll].
Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #18
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Does China let any of the good movies into the country?
I think they still have censorship. A friend recently came back said that she couldn't access facebook a couple of times - but hey that's no great loss.

I do remember a friend bringing back a copy of starship troopers from Singapore - it had been cut to be PG rated. You couldn't watch the gore but you could hear the people scream.

I think China makes a lot of their own movies. I remember being in Hong Kong a few years back, walking past a cinema and there were more local movies advertised than Hollywood ones.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #19
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
[Eye roll].
Piss off, you fucktarded troll.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
JCC.

Unhappy

Awww, no! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, guy!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #21
Saya

Quote:
I think they still have censorship. A friend recently came back said that she couldn't access facebook a couple of times - but hey that's no great loss.

I do remember a friend bringing back a copy of starship troopers from Singapore - it had been cut to be PG rated. You couldn't watch the gore but you could hear the people scream.

I think China makes a lot of their own movies. I remember being in Hong Kong a few years back, walking past a cinema and there were more local movies advertised than Hollywood ones.
Hong Kong is different from the rest of China though, they have a lot more freedom there. Mainland China, depending on where you are, from what I understand (I remember journalists in former Tibet saying how their phones would be tapped and such, for example) is generally worse, although they do get Western movies there.

But a lot of Chinese movies are awesome too. I used to be obsessed with old Jet Li movies, so campy but so fun.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Awww, no! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, guy!
Don't flatter yourself. You are, at most, a slight annoyance. Still, one that needs bitch-slapped. Dumbass.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #23
Fruitbat

Smile

Saya Jet Li is smokin'.

HP - can I watch you slap JCC? Or maybe I can bitchslap him for you
Old 08-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
JCC.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Don't flatter yourself. You are, at most, a slight annoyance. Still, one that needs bitch-slapped. Dumbass.
I'll let you do it if you strip-tease for me first and let me break the no touching rule.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #25
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Saya Jet Li is smokin'.

HP - can I watch you slap JCC? Or maybe I can bitchslap him for you
We can tag team if ya want?