Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: Diet or Die!
Meat and Veg! 22 91.67%
Meat Only! 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Mr. Filth

Do you live without MEAT!?

Truly!? Lie not, brethren. Bear your honesty. Meat has purpose and joy.

Just as much as Veg, Fishcakes! As much as Potato, Beef!

Will you truly proclaim pure vegetation without it's lovely voluptuous meat neighbor?

Truly?
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
Duane

To live without meat, is to live without a heart.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
menus era sota

when i have bolognaise, i leave out the pasta.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Saya

Truly, yep. Unless you're just setting me up for a double entendre.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I'm eating some meat right now.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Mr. Filth

Yes YEeas. Delicious thin slices of roast and pepper jack cheese with horse radish. The ultimate sandwiches are on my side, weaklings! I dare you to create such a masterpiece.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Sir Canvas Corpsey

The only thing a sandwiche ever needed was horse radish and mustard.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
menus era sota

french dijon mustard that is.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
jack_the_knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
Yes YEeas. Delicious thin slices of roast and pepper jack cheese with horse radish. The ultimate sandwiches are on my side, weaklings! I dare you to create such a masterpiece.
Grilled slices of steak, fried bacon and onions, topped with cheese and mustard.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
jack_the_knife

On the note of bacon and meat --->click<---
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
Minyaliel

I´m vegan. So what? I don´t mind what you´re eating as long as you don´t try to shove it down my throat. I don´t consider corpses to be food.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #12
Maxim_Macabre

I'll eat any meat other then the red kind.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Seriously?

Oh well, chicken can be uber yummy and is a commodity at our house.

Maxim, raise your posts so I can PM you or accept me on Myspace, makes talking easier, that's if you want to talk XD
Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #14
isobel black

I really, really like meat. But in principal I feel it's unethical for animals to be exploited for food. I don't really have qualms about them being killed to serve as food, as long as it is done in a humane manner, but what I'm opposed to is animals being mistreated during their lifetime. So for about six months now, I have been trying forego meat that is not organic, except when I'm in a restaurant.

(I don't know if organic is the correct term, it is a literal translation of the Dutch word that basically means, when applied to meat, that the animal is allowed to live a more natural live, mostly meaning it didn't spend it's entire life in a cage barely big enough to contain it and wasn't subjected to any dodgy feeding methods to get it to fatten faster or make its meat look more appealing to the consumer)

I have no illusions about changing the world or anything, it's just something I only recently started feeling guilty about, so it's for my own conscience, really. I also realise it is sort of hypocritical not to forego meat altogether, but it really is my favourite part of the diet, and I just lack the discipline to go completely vegetarian or even vegan.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:08 AM   #15
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black
I really, really like meat. But in principal I feel it's unethical for animals to be exploited for food. I don't really have qualms about them being killed to serve as food, as long as it is done in a humane manner, but what I'm opposed to is animals being mistreated during their lifetime. So for about six months now, I have been trying forego meat that is not organic, except when I'm in a restaurant.

(I don't know if organic is the correct term, it is a literal translation of the Dutch word that basically means, when applied to meat, that the animal is allowed to live a more natural live, mostly meaning it didn't spend it's entire life in a cage barely big enough to contain it and wasn't subjected to any dodgy feeding methods to get it to fatten faster or make its meat look more appealing to the consumer)

I have no illusions about changing the world or anything, it's just something I only recently started feeling guilty about, so it's for my own conscience, really. I also realise it is sort of hypocritical not to forego meat altogether, but it really is my favourite part of the diet, and I just lack the discipline to go completely vegetarian or even vegan.
Perhaps the term you are looking for is 'free range' ?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #16
isobel black

Somehow I really associate that with chickens, but I guess it could be the term. Here in the Netherlands 'organic' (I thought in the States it's the same term at least were it applies to vegetables) is like a logo given to vegetables, milk or meat. It (supposedly, in my case hopefully) ensures the consumer that the vegetables were grown without the use of chemical pest reppelents and not genetically modified or that the milk and meat comes from free range animals.

It is of course a badly chosen term because all of these things are organic regardless of how they were produced/reared, but that's what we call it here.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #17
chelsanator

I like most meat, but after working with it for so long I'm kind of growing sick of it. =( Besides, it doesn't matter if someone eats meat or doesn't... animals are still getting killed. They have been for centuries now and I really doubt it'll change!

on another note: "Eggplant tastes like eggplant, but meat tastes like murder, and murder tastes goddamn good."
chelsanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #18
isobel black

Quote:
I really, really like meat
Quote:
I have no illusions about changing the world or anything, it's just something I only recently started feeling guilty about, so it's for my own conscience, really.
So no argument from me.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #19
Alarica

All these food threads are making me hungry, and there is no bacon in the fridge!!

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #20
PortraitOfSanity

I'm not a huge meat eater, but I could never go vegetarian/vegan. I don't eat pork, bacon or ham though, pigs are disgusting.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
JCC

Quote:
I really, really like meat. But in principal I feel it's unethical for animals to be exploited for food. I don't really have qualms about them being killed to serve as food, as long as it is done in a humane manner
Giving a pig an Enya CD and a bottle of Chianti isn't going to make him feel better about being created purely to be slaughtered and eaten. If you don't want to mistreat an animal, you don't kill them.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #22
exacerbatedpoet

I was vegetarian for a year. Then I stopped because I realized that bacon was too good and I wasn't solving anything by not eating meat. I approve of the lifestyle but my conviction wasn't or isn't strong enough to be vegetarian.
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #23
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Giving a pig an Enya CD and a bottle of Chianti isn't going to make him feel better about being created purely to be slaughtered and eaten. If you don't want to mistreat an animal, you don't kill them.
Assuming that the Enya CD and wine refer to an animal having a decent, somewhat natural life, I agree with you in principal. It is however, I believe, natural for us as omnivores to kill animals for sustenance, however they might feel about it. On the other hand, now that we have other means of eating healthily without meat, that isn't even a valid argument anymore.

I'm just trying to come to terms with this for myself in my own, admittedly flawed and hypocritical, way. It is purely a matter of my own guilty conscience.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #24
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Nature evolved us into omnivores. Even in the prehistoric days of plankton, there were those who ate sunshine and those who ate others.

"Sacred cows make the best hamburgers."
-Mark Twain

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #25
Saya

^ We're actually not completely evolved yet to handle as much meat as most people eat now, a hundred years ago meat was expensive and no one was eating much of it, while now a lot of people eat it with every meal, which is why we can't "naturally" eat raw meat much, since putrid meet will encourage parasites, where as natural carnivores have acidic saliva, short intestines and more acid in their stomachs to kill bacteria and parasites.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote