Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
Beneath the Shadows

Unexplained gorund heat burns boy's feet

Quote:
There was no fire, but the ground was hot enough in a Colorado Springs park to burn through an eight year old boy’s shoes and cause at least second degree burns on his feet. The boy went the hospital. His Crocs style shoes that were left behind have big holes with burned edges.

Firefighters want to know what’s causing the ground to get so hot near Golden Hills Park in the Rockrimmon neighborhood. Battalion Chief, Kent Matthews says, "In my twenty-four years I haven't witnessed this kind of occurrence. So it's unique.”

After the boy was treated and sent to the hospital firefighters took surface readings that showed hard to believe temperatures. According to Chief Matthews, "The highest temperature we got at the surface of the soil with the sun shining on it was 800 degrees, which is pretty darn significant. Radiant heat from the sun will get it up around 150, 160 degrees, but not to that level."

Firefighters have taped off the area and are monitoring it until they can figure out what's causing the ground to get so hot. Tests by hazmat team members show there are no dangerous gases. Crews have cut a fire-line around the area to prevent the heat from potentially starting a wildfire.

Early assessments show the problem area is coal dust. Neighbors say the area has appeared blackened as long as they can remember. What has to be determined is if it was dumped here years ago or if there's something happening underground. Crews from the state geological are on the way to figure out an explanation.
http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_top_stories/x1331638508

It's just a horrible time to live in if you're a foot. Severed feet in Canada, burned feet in Colorada... what's the world coming to?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
KontanKarite

MY guess is that it's a magma flow of some kind. Probably a small volcano is forming.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
cradle

Man, that would really suck to be that kid.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
MY guess is that it's a magma flow of some kind. Probably a small volcano is forming.
agreed, I can only imagine it'd be volcanic heat...

or chemical, I suppose, but that's very unlikely to happen unnoticed....

but then again... I guess that little boy noticed.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Barfing_Rat

That remind me of time when one of my friend's dog got out and my friend have to chase the dog a couple blocks in hot Las Vegas summer noon bare feet. Bet that was fun...
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
emeraldlonewoulf

also, with the mention of coal, it could well be an underground coal fire. There are coal mines deep under ground that have been burning for years.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
CptSternn

Could be electrical as well. Or demons from hell are coming up for the pending apocalypse. You decide.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

How large is the affected area?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

PS--solved.

http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_top_stories...d-ground-found
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
emeraldlonewoulf

aww.... I kinda liked the demons suggestion... but I figured it had something to do with the coal mentioned. That stuff burns way hotter and way longer than most people give it credit for.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote