Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
Gothic.net

Question Gothic.net Upgrades You Would Like?

There have been a lot of new features added to Gothic.net in the past year, but more is always nice. What additional features would you like to see added to the site? Feel free to ask for anything you can think of, no matter how over-the-top your wish is. Gothic.net is going to try to make as many of those crazy wishes come true as possible. Chat was one thing folks mentioned and ways are being explored to have it without it being a spammer and troll haven. But what else would everybody like? Your opinions are needed to make it the best it can be. Thanks much!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:46 AM   #2
tenet_2012

My only problem with Gnet are the trolls. But you have no control over that, short from preventing new members to join. Who wants that? Some of the new people are tits (had to fit my word of the day in).

I think you guys run an awesome forum and delete the trolls as soon as you can.

By the way, I love the "New Posts" button.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #3
Niels

Well maybe you could consider a seperated religion/philosophy forum, because now those topics are somewhat sprayed all over the place...
Old 04-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Circle V

I concur with Niels.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Maybe change the description of the Whining Thread.
The "Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board." sounds too much as Teen Angst for me.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Solumina

and there ends up being a lot of teen angst threads
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
Draconysius

I think there should be a short-stories thread stickied in the literature section. Maybe also there could be a "currently listening" field in the reply box? It would be unecessary, but it would enable everyone to post their musical tastes much more often without having to visit a different thread. Yes, we're that lazy.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
Deviant Kitten

I have to agree with Tenet (and by the way your avi is unbelievably cute!) that G.net is perfect apart from the trolls. But they're just something we have to put up with and ignore as best we can, I suppose. Unless you could screen the applications for membership somehow? I don't want to get all nazi on the newbies, but if they had to fill out a (very short) form which had to be approved by a mod before they could join it might stop "black ops" type invasions!

Other than the trolls, this place is beautiful!

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #9
Blushing Heliophobe

Maybe we could have a waiting period between when you register and you are mailed your password. That way the new users can be reviewed and if they have a name like "XXXfaghaterXXXX" then it would be a lot simpler to keep them from joining/posting.

But that may be too time intensive, I dunno. It'd be nice though.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I think when I first registered I was auto-directed to something like "For The Newbies"... I could be wrong, because it was a while ago, but it would probably be helpful if that feature was in place for new members.
It was still there when I joined. I've a feeling that some people skip straight past it though...

I still think it would be good if new members had to be accepted by a mod before they could post, so as to stop the banned ones from bouncing straight back under a new name! I don't know much about IP addresses; could they be used to check whether a troll was returning ('reject' for example)?

Edit: I know it sounds time-consuming to check new members, but it would save our poor mods from having to continually delete offensive posts and ban the same trolls over and over!

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
yeah, everytime the sequence of words "I cut myself", "No one understands me", or "I like Marilyn Manson" are generated, the member typing it gets its IP address banned.
^^ Banned4Life.

I'd really love a philosophy area as well, so that my intellectual urine gets sprayed in a more confined space. Less slosh-factor, more astringent and concentrated for those pesky rusty bumpers...
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
WolfMoon

I miss the olde feature we had of the last 5 topics that were replied to scrolling by. Chat would be a nice feature. Maybe something like IRC?

I also like the idea oif being able to check for banned ip's before letting new members join. It would save a lot of hassle in the long run.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
edible_eye

- sigh -

deviant's and blushing's avatars are the reason men relish their eyes. wolfmoon as well, of course - but she already knows that.

just stopping in to say "hi".

i don't have an upgrade suggestion - but does anyone know how to submit short stories - yes, i'm still a mod but for the life of me, i don't know the rules / details. i have a few i'd like to take a shot on.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Corpus_Draconis

I have a short story that I'd be interested in rewriting and trying to submit...

I do like the idea of a philosophy/religion thread. I think I would spend quite some time in there...
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
maggot

A "smartness bar." This will go down when people say stupid things like "O RLY?!" and is replenished over time.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #16
Demonista_Ravenesque

I love the idea of a smartness bar!

Well, please please please please put in a roleplay forum!

Those things are so great they make my bladder weak!

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #17
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
I miss the olde feature we had of the last 5 topics that were replied to scrolling by.
Oooooh, yeah. I almost forgot about that. That actually was a VERY convenient feature. I'll second that!

As for mine, I'm probably beatting a dead horse here, but what about doing away with the time limits on editing posts? I mean, I've gotten used to proof reading my posts 3 times over before I post anymore, but still I come across a word that's misspelled or in the wrong place and I have that compulsory need to go back and fix it.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #18
maggot

Roleplay forums are fun, although you need to obsessively check back on them.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

What's a roleplay forum?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #20
Magpie_Tendencies

Roleplay forums are where people take on the persona of a fictional character and start a story. They post say, a paragraph and then someone else comes along and adds their character/s to the story.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
Binkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
There's something similar (not scrolling the way the old one was, but similar) if you go to just gothic.net, instead of gothic.net/boards. It's on the far right.
Ahhh... I rarely visit the front page. Thanks for pointing that out, X. I'll have to check it out more often. :P
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #22
WizardElement5

Hi. First of all, thanks for gnet!

The most obvious thing that's missing is a board for creative writing. I love the idea of one person writing something, (say, a maximum of ten lines), and then another person continuing with it for their ten lines. You'd have to have a rule that you couldn't do another post until at least ten others had posted after your previous effort. I bet the stories created on such a board could be made into books and sold! You'd have to have a statement of some sort that said "anyone posting here agrees to their work being included in any future publication etc."

Thanks once again,
Wizard.
WizardElement5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #23
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Roleplay forums are fun, although you need to obsessively check back on them.
Er... I just set one of those up on a site. It fell apart, though, due to lack of members to run it.

I'd be willing to start one up here. They're insanely interesting, once you get them started.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #24
A Simple Poet

I would like personal threads, I know it seems conceited, but I think it is a way for an individual's identity to shine through, and the strongest would survive. That, or maybe we can augment our Intro threads into personal threads instead of mere salutations.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #25
A Simple Poet

I tried, I suppose I am just too droll to read. That, or I let everyone down by shelving my Gothic Space Opera idea ... my "bad".

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote