Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Is the earth flat?
Yes. 3 9.09%
No. 11 33.33%
I like pie. 19 57.58%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #26
secretboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
Hmm, so I see you also believe that there are only three dimensions. Interesting. I'm curious, though, as to which dimension you think I am missing of the three that you are aware of. Height? Because I'd like it to be known that I certainly do have height.
Height. Bah. You're all shrimps to me.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #27
.BatteryPoison.

Granny,
how would you explain a crescent moon at night? Or how a navagational compass works? :P

"I wanna skin me some fetuses and hang 'em, then chase them with hedgeclippers!" - Ice
.BatteryPoison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 AM   #28
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BatteryPoison.
Granny,
how would you explain a crescent moon at night? Or how a navagational compass works? :P
God works in mysterious ways, my friend.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:03 AM   #29
centurion

Which one???
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:26 AM   #30
Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike
Quote:
Ah, culpa me.
oh, be friendly to good old Latin language.
culpa me can't be grammatically working.
culpa is a noun in nominativ and me is an akkussativ --> what you get is "fault me".

heh. now. maybe I haven't got your humor here or whatever. But it's still mea culpa.
It can be both.

"Culpo" is a verb: culpo, culpare, culpavi, culpatus.

The imperative of a first conjugation verb is "-a," as you no doubt know. "Me" is the accusative of "ego," "I," so

culpa me = blame me.

Perhaps it should have been "Culpate me," but I was addressing only TeapotScar rather than the entire thread, so "culpa me" is still gramatically correct.
Ok. I admit, that it wasn't my first thought to go for a verbal construction. Still, finally having realised that you were using one, culpa me seems very strange to me. Becasue of the single reason that I can't recall to have ever read "culpa me" or something like that, and I have read more Latin originals and am still reading that I actually want sometimes. But it seemed interesting to go for it, I like these little quest from time to time - exspecially if i actually had to spend my time on something completely different, er, well.

You've encouraged me. I tried to check that out actually.

For all those not interested in Latin - please skip that uninterseting theoretical dead language dump

I'm not specialized in Latin or ancient Greek. I'm just learning Latin for - oh, I'm getting old - 11 years, and I'm still studying because it's one of the foundations for my actual studies - classical archaeology, medievistic, and ancient history. I can't go without it, and still I know what phone numbers I have to dial if I want to know something that is going into detail.

So, first off, thanks to the members of the Latinistic instutute at Innsbruck university, first of all Florian Schaffenrath. They helped me with their a) unbelievable knowledge of sources and useful thesaura and other literature. Actually, I somehow managed us all to end up looking for culpa me today, cause actually noone has heard about that before.

Actually, you are right, there is a verb culpare and it follows the a-declination.
But, then things are getting a bit difficult. What did that verb mean, and how was it used, and in which contexts was it used.
I found several different interpretations (to blame, to scold, rail, complain, to conduct are just some of the more probable interpretations....) in several different thesaura and dictionaries. As usual, the smaller dictionaries for school and unversity student use seem more secure in their interpretation as the bigger ones. Always interesting. In doubt we forget about the doubt and act as if we'd know. Kind of that mentality.

So, my next step was, as I have learned, haha, to look up examples. That is actually, why I'm pretty late with my answer. Research is taking time, lol.
And to ask people who know more about it as I do.
Now, first of, culpare is not really a verb that was used very often. It was used rarely, and even more rarely in classical latin. And I don't think that you want to play with provincial or late medieval vulgata latin here.
But also for late antique and medieval period I didn't find this verb used that very often.
And we found it NEVER used as blame me, or something in that context.
A construction like that wasn't really used either in classical not in later and vulgata Latin. Actually, I haven't found a singualr imperative use of the verb culpare.
What I have found, are particiapial constructions, gerundia, NCI and ACI, and passive use. Few normal active forms, too, though most of them were imperfects. Most common was maybe the use as "blame that" and consequently in qn ACI construction.
Here the most common examples for the use of the verb culpare that you maybe/probably? know:
"num ergo culpandus est ille. " Plin. ep. 7, 14.4
"...arbore nunc aquas culpante nunc .. " Hor.

Now, in your case - besides the fact that "blame me" and "my fault" have a slightly different meaning, - if you want an alternative for mea culpa, a latin writer would have gone for a construction like "in culpa sum", maybe even culpandus sum (I am to blame), if you want to stick to culpare. He would have added a reason probable, because without the construction would get way too short for a latin writer. They weren't *that* pragmatic in most cases.
But "culpa me" did not exist as it seems.
If you find a quote (of classical Latin) that proves me wrong please let me know. Actually, we are not really finished with our research on culpare yet, lol. And always interested in finding out more about it.

Now, why am I asking for quotes. Latin is, after all, and despite the fact that it is beautiful and foundation of all european languages together with greek, a dead language. It is not spoken anymore, and the culture behind the language doesn't exist anymore. So actually, it is not all that easy as it might seem, to find out what these people of the past times were actually understanding when they were reading the same texts as we are. In many cases something completely different.
We are almost sure of the understanding of words, if they were often used and in different contexts - the more the better.
If words are used rarely, things are getting difficult.

So basically, today Latin is a language that is translated nowadays, and not spoken. We *cannot* write and hardly think of speaking classical Latin. Or even Latin that was actually used in the roman empire o medieval ages. We are past that age, and we have forgotten too much about it, to go there again. Even if it's only a matter of language. We are hardly aware of our own --> journalism, but that is a side comment that is leading to far away now.

We can be happy if we understand Latin correctly - and never forget - translation is interpretaion. Always. Just try to read differnt translations from medieval ages to nowadays of, well, let's say Vergil - because he was always popular. There are many translations and some are telling different stories.
I was trying to find a good translation of Tyrtaios of spart a year ago and ended up translating it myself, because i found many translations, but they all told something completely different. That's the moments I am sometimes feeling lost in my field, so lost, when I am spending weeks and more just to get closer to a quote. Note - get closer. More is not possible in many cases.
Or - another famour example - Shakespeare. It's English, of course, and a lot of words even seem to be the same words as nowadys, because the spellling is almost the same, but the meaning has changed to something completely different.
I am drifting away.

So back to Latin and its every day difficulties..
You know, I encountered a problem today - I was looking up a Plinius quote on the famous Laokoon ensemble - a very insecure part in archaeologic research, even if it is so famous. We don't know much about it, to be honest, and even less we know concrete things about it. Anyways - Plinius is describing the Laokoon ensemble in his NatHis and he is writing about the statuaria, referring to the ensemble. Now, on first impact, that seems wonderfully easy - as we are still using the word statue or Statue in german - but we have to ask ourselves, what the ancient roman person was thinking of when he was reading about statuaria - were it bronze statues? (interpretation of B. Andreae amongst others, because it comes from stare and bronze statues could stand "on their own feet" in contrary to marble statues), were it marble statues or did the Romanss not distinguish between marble and bronze statues at all? To be honest, we don't have a clue. Even though *a lot* of scientists have tried to solve this particular problem, because if we would know, we would actually get a bit closer to the question if the Laokoon ensemble was an original (and if it was not - was the original a bronze statue?) or not.
Just an example to illustrate how difficult that is.

Now - translating Latin with the help of a lot of commenting books written by scientists who have a huge knowledge of Latin and a huge background they can or could make comparisons (and that is what it is all about in that field, basically, the comparisons) is one thing.
To take piece and build new constructions on your own is something else. All you can get is a fictional language, maybe even a fictional Latin.
Going back in history, we find that phaenomenon not rarely. But it was fictional Latin after all, even though these people usually were experts.
And were closer to the matter than we are nowadays. Erasmus at least had an idea how vulgat Latin was alike.
But, unfortunatley, neither of us is Erasmus and never will be - and-
quod licet Iovi no licet bovi
Still, you can of course start communicating in that fictional Latin.
But personally, I'd be careful with that. Better stick to the quotes and think twice about them, when trying to understand them. Don't rely on you poor school or university vocabulary and grammar knowledge - there is a reason why most thesaura a consisting of more than ten 2000 pages book and that many people have worked on them and not only one and that for years.
Just try to keep these things in mind - Latin is an interseting field - just as ancient greek and -personally I'm into learning some basics of ancient oriental languages like assyrian language at the moment- it is great, but you need to study it with a slightly different approach as you can study a modern language.

Uh, what a dump of thoughts.

Er...back to the original topic - Terry Prattchett, wasn't it?
yes, I like discworld. And after all that ldead language reflecton - I personally like the Iliad/Odyssee/Goethe persiflage in Eric most
Old 12-10-2004, 04:15 PM   #31
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL

I took latin for a year in high school with the intention of cotinuing it into college since latin seemed to be the only language at which I was excelling besides that of the language of music. Then I moved to a different country with no courses in latin at all save for one super expensive private high school for the rich and privelegded (WHY???). Sooo, here I am, latin-less and envious of those of you with a grasp of the language. I feel left out and cheated of something I sorely wanted to understand and treasure. One day though ... Nothing is ever too late in this prescious life.

As for the subject of this post. Yea, there are people like that out there who truly don't know what one would think are the "basics of knowing" in countries above that of third world. If one does not learn it (besides just memorizing it for an exam and then letting it go afterwards), then one shall not know it. The thing is to not let it blow your mind, correct them and feel happy that you have enlightened someone. Afterwards sit back and reflect on things that about which you are ignorant that others may know and think are things that everyone should know (besides the spheres of school and science, but in social spheres and beyond as well). Too many times I've seen people inflating their egos just because some people do not know what one would think are "basics of knowing." It makes me mad (not trying to say you were doing that though =^.^= )There is a reason they do not know and it is not because they are stupid or not as intelligent, it is because they just don't "know" and because it never seemed that important for them to "know". It's not like they teach you that stuff in high school. You learn it in primary school and then move on to higher levels of school that assume you were a good student in elementary school and properly learned that basic scientific concept. There are people out there (minus ones who have not had access to I guess you would call it the "education of orthodox and accepted science") who still think the sun revolves around the earth. Blame the system and society (a convenient scapegoat)!

Now if the world we lived in was Discworld ... turtle soup would be sacreligious!
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #32
centurion

bah, people have still refused to embrace the fact that we and our whole civilization are merely insignificant specks floating in an infinite vast ocean of random chaos with no god to save us from being lost into obliveon....

I wonder why???
Old 12-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #33
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL

People choose not to grasp, because what you have said, Centurion, is a scary thing. To have no purpose other then to just exist? To have no god or higher power to call to and guide us? Well, that is just a scary thing. To have a god provides hope (and an excuse to do great and crappy crap things to reality and other humans without attaching pride or guilt to it).

I personally believe that we exist on top of four elephants, which exist on top of a giant turtle, which exists on top of the highest mountain, which exists in the eye of a leviathan, which swims in a huge ocean, that exists within a giant gourd, that exists in a vast void, that exists in the mouth of a giant ... and so on and so forth ... (they're just invisible to the naked eye because a mere human can not comprehend their greatness. The take on the appearance of space ...)

**I've been reading too much folklore as you can tell**
ChUnKy_CaRaMeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:41 PM   #34
centurion

Exactly like Yggdrasil.....

No purpose just to exist, however?? Well, I don`t see it that way, but a lot of people might, and this way of misunderstanding existence, the unknown, etc. is what scares them......
Well, personally I do believe this universe is infinite and chaotic by nature, and there are millions upon millions upon billions of life forms just like us with civilizations just like ours on countless other planets, but insignificance???
Well, we can see our significance in our sphere of influence, what we effect. We mean something to someone else, we live our lives in our own little world and existence..... Not only that, but it also means there are no limits. Sure I don`t discount the possibility of extremely powerful life forms/beings roaming the cosmos with powers that to us, in our current evolutional stage, may seem godlike, but some ultimate omnipotent power....? I don`t believe this is possible. The universe is far too infinite to be considered a "thing" that was created by a living being.

Yet i do believe death is not the end, and we are all on some sort of eternal evolutional journey..... what are humanoid lifeforms anyways, but explorers???

Anyways, that`s my take.... That`s what I choose to believe. Maybe everything`s completely opposite...... I guess that`s why we really can`t afford to close our minds in fear.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #35
Jane13

I've always wanted to put down "God" for all of the answers on a science paper... but I like my B+/A- thing that seems to turn out the same way every time...

To asurai- the latin honors students feel they have the right to make fun of the other foreign language students here... and I guess they've earned it (German 1 student here).
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #36
Asurai

Nike -- the rambling was very nice to read, actually, and I, heartily agreeing, thank you for it.

I've only just started Latin (starting year 3 in two weeks), and I had never seen "culpa" as a noun that I can remember . . . at the same, it was one of the first verbs that I learned, so "culpa me" seemed more natural to me than "mea culpa." I really didn't even think about it -- which was obviously the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
NO ONE makes fun of MY foreign-language study!

Oh, wait. Yes, they do. Anyway...
Well, it is really easy to make fun of a language -- keeping in mind the nation that uses it -- in which the word for "thanks" is basically the same as the English word "mercy."
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #37
Disfunction

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/geocentr.htm

That there is a fun one... First one to explain why they are off their rockers with their explanation of the capitalization of "Sun" gets a freeee cookie.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:20 PM   #38
Disfunction

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
NO ONE makes fun of MY foreign-language study!

Oh, wait. Yes, they do. Anyway...
Well, it is really easy to make fun of a language -- keeping in mind the nation that uses it -- in which the word for "thanks" is basically the same as the English word "mercy."
Then, in truth, it should be even easier to make fun of a language, keeping in mind the nation that uses it... oh wait... that nation collapsed at the hands of various people including the inhabitants of the nation you poked fun at.

So... hehe...

Then there's the Norman Invasion of England, so I guess the French could use that one too.

Napolean's reign of terror... ooo... Defeated by the Russians.

World War II defeated by the Germans. I'm making a conclusion here:

Germanic languages are superior as it is the Germanic language based nations that kick super ass! (English being Germanic with Latin influence, explaining those few English defeats and the US).

And the US lost the War of 1812 (It's purpose: to invade, and take control, of Canada). I don't see any American flags anywhere! *gets uppity; his pansy-ass Queen following politicians strip him of his rights*

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #39
centurion

Is it coincidence, or does every debate I hear about the world being flat always come back to the French??? :lol:
Old 12-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #40
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
Then, in truth, it should be even easier to make fun of a language, keeping in mind the nation that uses it... oh wait... that nation collapsed at the hands of various people including the inhabitants of the nation you poked fun at.
True. Grr.

Quote:
Then there's the Norman Invasion of England, so I guess the French could use that one too.
Well, technically, but the Normans were basically Scandinavian. Germanic.

Quote:
Germanic languages are superior as it is the Germanic language based nations that kick super ass! (English being Germanic with Latin influence, explaining those few English defeats and the US).
Ah, but the US and England -- speaking a 'corrupted' Germanic language -- defeated the Germans in WWII. So, Germanic-speaking nations are better than Romance-speaking ones, but those speaking a Latin-influenced Germanic language are best. :P
Old 12-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #41
Jane13

What about Beowulf? Old English didn't have such Latin influences :wink:
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Old 12-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #42
Manimal

Trout Pie. No one ever eats trout pie anymore.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #43
secretboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Trout Pie. No one ever eats trout pie anymore.
Yes, how very true.

And thank god, some words of sanity in this Latinized crazy discussion thread thing.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #44
HerGhostInTheFog

i frankly dont care wether the earth is flat or not, but if it's is flat, then how can people sail to the other side of earth? huh? obviously, there's more examples. i am too lazy to put them
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #45
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGhostInTheFog
i frankly dont care wether the earth is flat or not
You don't care? That's fine, I suppose, since God gave us free will. God also punishes indolent minds with eternal torment, though. Just a heads-up.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #46
TeapotScar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny-like_the_apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGhostInTheFog
i frankly dont care wether the earth is flat or not
You don't care? That's fine, I suppose, since God gave us free will. God also punishes indolent minds with eternal torment, though. Just a heads-up.
That's right, Granny. Those who don't accept Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, into their hearts and lives should definitely beware the eternal torment which is their destiny.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #47
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
beware the eternal torment which is their destiny.
You mean...liberals in the afterlife?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #48
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKilyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeapotScar
beware the eternal torment which is their destiny.
You mean...liberals in the afterlife?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Yes, Al, it's true. And they all look like Michael Moore and think like Noam Chomsky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
What about Beowulf? Old English didn't have such Latin influences :wink:
Yes, but Beowulf was a Dane, a 'Scandinavian', and the people who wrote about him -- the Anglo-Saxons -- were displaced by the Latinized-French-speaking Normans, who were Scandinavians like Beowulf. Boo-YAH! :wink:

:roll: Le sigh, I'm a geek.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #49
Jane13

OK
-Cinema Strange
Old 12-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #50
Nike

ha-haa... you want me to write a post about Beowulf?
No. Don't be afreid. I'll shut up.
Lol.
I won't latinize or hitchhike this thread again