Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Lady Ravenna

Lovers in Literature

Whilst taking a bubble bath this morning, I began thinking about all the classic novels and plays and the romance that brings life to their pages. Lovers such as Orlando and Rosaline, Valentine and Silvia, Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Lancelot and Gwenivere and so on and so on. Which couple makes you wish everyday romance would turn out like that and why?

For me, even though it may be a bit cliche, Romeo and Juliet does it for me. They fall for eachother so quickly and their love is so real and true right up until the end. It doesn't get any better than that.

Blessings,
Lady Ravenna
Lady Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Iriacynthe

I'm rather fond of Jane Eyre (both the book and the character). It's not an ideal romance, but I do think it's an example that love can overcome so much, even if it's not a typical, perfect love. I also admire her strenght, she runs away from the man she loves, because she thinks that's the right thing to do, while it could have been so much easier for her to stay with him.
Iriacynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
horrorgirl

Anna Karenina. Oh......my.......god that book gets my blood pumping. The ending is tragic but the love between her and Vronsky is some powerful stuff.The movie adaptation with Sean Bean makes me want to jump his bones. *fans herself*

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ravenna
For me, even though it may be a bit cliche, Romeo and Juliet does it for me. They fall for eachother so quickly and their love is so real and true right up until the end. It doesn't get any better than that.

Blessings,
Lady Ravenna
Really? Well, each to their own. Personally I think they're a couple of morons. Doesn't Juliet's father threaten to disown her if she doesn't marry Paris?... Well, why not refuse, get disowned, and go join Romeo in Mantua? Why all the fake death? Grr. Gets my goat. Plus, really if you think about it, if it was intended as a great love story - why is Rosaline mentioned at all? In my opinion, she has no other function than to show us that Romeo's love is easily transferrable. In terms of plot, there's really no other need for her to exist in the play. I also don't think love can be that "real" between a pair of kids who've known each other for all of twenty-four hours. Romeo starts waxing poetic about his "love" for Juliet before they've even exchanged a word.

In my opinion, the play is a comment on the fact that thoughtless, childish infatuation is deadly if you give it too much weight.

I'd agree that the language is beautiful, though. And Mercutio is pretty cool.

For me, it has to be Will and Lyra in The Amber Spyglass. Sob.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Wise Child, I totally agree with you. I mean, they aren't in mature love at all, it's closer to, "JESUS CHRIST MY LOINS ARE ON FIRE!"
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
Wise Child

*high fives you* I can see why people like it. I'm just dead inside

Old 03-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
ennui

I like the letters between Abelard and Heloise...

"While I am denied your presence, give me at least through your words--of which you have enough and to spare--some sweet sem*blance of yourself."- Heloise

:sigh:
ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

I don't think anyone knows them, but my favorite lovers in literature are called Gwydion and Rhapsody.
She lived in the other side of the world, two ages before him, but by mysterious forces they were brought together. They only had one night together before Gwydion was returned to his epoch.
A couple of Millennia later, she was still alive and young, and they met again, fell in love again, and then discovered they were the same lovers from that night a world ago.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Wise Child

Oh, and Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing. Just 'cause everyone knows a couple like that - they hate each other, but only because they love each other really, a fact which they demonstrate by ripping shreds out of one another and attempting to outdo one another with the most cutting insults they can muster. Just beautiful... *sniffle*

Old 03-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Shi'ark

Will and Lyra in His Dark Materials. They were young but you were happy when they got together.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #11
Empty_Purple_Stars

Tristan and Isolde..

The most tragic lovers ever...

" I wonder by my troth, what thou and I Did, till we loved? were we not wean'd till then? But suck'd on country pleasures, childishly? Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers' den? 'Twas so ; but this, all pleasures fancies be ; If ever any beauty I did see, Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee. And now good-morrow to our waking souls, Which watch not one another out of fear ; For love all love of other sights controls, And makes one little room an everywhere. Let sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone ; Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown ; Let us possess one world ; each hath one, and is one. My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears, And true plain hearts do in the faces rest; Where can we find two better hemispheres Without sharp north, without declining west? Whatever dies, was not mix'd equally; If our two loves be one, or thou and I Love so alike that none can slacken, none can die. "
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #12
TwistedKitsune

Phedre no Delunay de Montrieve and Joscelin Verreuil from the Kushiel series, not only do I love the books (I highly reccomend them) but these two characters are amazing as individuals. They have this "I hate you because I love you" thing going on at first, and then they finally admit they love each other, but the interesting twist is that Joscelin is, initially, a fighting priest sworn to cellibacy and Phedre is, in essence, a prostitute (though in a far more in depth and exccedingly interesting manner than one might expect from my blunt description). In short they are one of my favorite couples in literature merely because of the complexity of their relationship.

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
snapdragon

ahaha, Romeo and Juliet.. yes, I think more lust than love, but still beautifully written..

and here I'd agree with santarea with Heathcliff and Catherine.. Just twisted enough to still be wonderful. All the things that Heathcliff brought together and wound into a ball of misery were just for the one who was already dead...
snapdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
mydnyght

i find dangerous beauty to be quite provoking. she cant marry the one she loves, so she becomes a courtisan...and loves lots of people. eventually, she sleeps (often) with the man she loves form the beginning, who by the way can't stand the fact that she sleeps around and gets paid for it!
mydnyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #15
Empty_Purple_Stars

Uhh do she and her many Penises have a name?
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #16
dead_roses

hello.....
dead_roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
angel011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
Uhh do she and her many Penises have a name?
I think mydnyght meant "Dangerous Beauty", the movie (or the book?). Her name is Veronica Franco, the guy she's in love with is Marco Venier.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0118892/
Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #18
J.M.Lovechild

Lestat and Nicky, in "The Vampire Lestat" by Anne Rice.
J.M.Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #19
Legacy of Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
Oh, and Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing. Just 'cause everyone knows a couple like that - they hate each other, but only because they love each other really, a fact which they demonstrate by ripping shreds out of one another and attempting to outdo one another with the most cutting insults they can muster. Just beautiful... *sniffle*
You know, that basically describes my previous relationship perfectly.
Legacy of Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
Slayne

Romeo and Juliet?

If I recall, they both died at the end...

I'd prefer to be around for a while to enjoy it.
Slayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #21
endemonidia

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.Lovechild
How could we forget Lestat and Nicky? Though it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if Nicky hadn't gone pretty much insane after he was changed.
endemonidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #22
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy of Wulf
You know, that basically describes my previous relationship perfectly.
Been there. And always know at least two couples at once who're still there. 'Tis why I love them so.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #23
Legacy of Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
Been there. And always know at least two couples at once who're still there. 'Tis why I love them so.
It was fun in it own unique way.
Legacy of Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #24
MistedTruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.Lovechild
:shock:*gasps* Lestat and Nicky were perfect! It was so sad when Nicky went insane. Poor Nicky....
MistedTruths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #25
Magpie_Tendencies

Misted, would you mind posting in a lighter colour? It's just that dark on dark is difficult to read.