Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Beneath the Shadows

H. Res. 847

Check out the latest House Resolution...

Quote:
RESOLUTION

Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.

Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the world;

Whereas there are approximately 225,000,000 Christians in the United States, making Christianity the religion of over three-fourths of the American population;

Whereas there are approximately 2,000,000,000 Christians throughout the world, making Christianity the largest religion in the world and the religion of about one-third of the world population;

Whereas Christians identify themselves as those who believe in the salvation from sin offered to them through the sacrifice of their savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and who, out of gratitude for the gift of salvation, commit themselves to living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Holy Bible;

Whereas Christians and Christianity have contributed greatly to the development of western civilization;

Whereas the United States, being founded as a constitutional republic in the traditions of western civilization, finds much in its history that points observers back to its roots in Christianity;

Whereas on December 25 of each calendar year, American Christians observe Christmas, the holiday celebrating the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ;

Whereas for Christians, Christmas is celebrated as a recognition of God's redemption, mercy, and Grace; and

Whereas many Christians and non-Christians throughout the United States and the rest of the world, celebrate Christmas as a time to serve others: Now, therefore be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.
Source.

R.I.P., First Amendment.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry

Last edited by Beneath the Shadows; 12-13-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Forgot source URL
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Beneath the Shadows

Despite the fact that it's in direct violation of the First Amendment, it doesn't actually do anything. Your tax dollars hard at work.

And I guess I should've put this in the politics section. Sorry about that.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Delkaetre

So... effectively doing everything but outlining Christianity as the official religion of the United States and justifying persecution of non-Christians?
Giving official protection to Christianity but not to other religions is a very dangerous move. The founding fathers themselves said that religion and state should be kept separate.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Linen

WTF?

Quote:
(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and
Does this mean they can make it illegal to speak out against Christians or Christian practices (prayer) in schools/government locales?

Regardless, this is a total waste of time and money. We should be focusing on much more important things.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
So... effectively doing everything but outlining Christianity as the official religion of the United States and justifying persecution of non-Christians?
Giving official protection to Christianity but not to other religions is a very dangerous move. The founding fathers themselves said that religion and state should be kept separate.
And furthermore:

Quote:
"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established, should not be changed for light and transient causes; and, accordingly, all experience [has] shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce [the people] under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." --Thomas Jefferson: Declaration of Independence, 1776. ME 1:29, Papers 1:429
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Drake Dun

It's a "simple resolution" (one house only) and does not have the force of law. So technically, it's probably not in violation of the first amendment. Really, really obnoxious though. Your tax dollars at work.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
DepthsofSpace

As a Christian, I find this resolution obnoxious.

Like we are so put upon and need the State to justify us.

Boo-frakin'-hoo.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
CptSternn

You have to love a country that claims it's open and accepting to all religions, then passes such legislation, even though its just window dressing.

Still, what message does it send to the rest of the world and the people of other religions who live in America?

Also the separate designation of 'American Christians' - I'm for this part. Let the world know there are Christians, then there are 'American Christians' - and they aren't the same.

* I now have 'American Jesus' by Bad Religion in my head...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
Dead Angel

acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States

This is scary because after reconizing the founding of the United States is religious, they WILL start skewing the laws towards the 'reconized religion'.
Dead Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #10
CptSternn

I wonder if by 'founding' they mean the mass genocide of the indigenous people who were living here prior to the 'founding'?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote