Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #26
CuckooTuli

Don't get me wrong, I can understand thinking, "Well, all right, let's not get hysterical - we've all said shit to a select audience at some point that could have gotten us in trouble if others had heard." Which is true. But mostly I think I agree with Solumina - if someone is in a position of authority, then yes, they should be held to more stringent standards of conduct. This isn't a double-standard, so much as a way in which we demand that these people legitimise the power they have over us, and prove their worthiness of it. It's a form of accountability, and in this case, we can't even say it's an entirely irrelevant or arbitrary one; a judge laughing at racism, then going to work for a system that's known to be biased against non-whites, doesn't strike me as all that harmless.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #27
Fruitbat

Sol - disgusts me too but there's not a lot we can do about it. Some folks will be offended and others won't be.

Mind you I think I've heard that joke going around a few years ago, but it was about someone else - maybe another political party or a blonde or someone else.

Well if you guys don't want Obama, you can send him back over here. I think Australia fell in love with him when he was here. God, that man has such charisma and is such a statesman and is so in love with his wife..

Our Prime Minister couldn't keep her hands off him!

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #28
Murder.Of.Crows

After re-reading the joke I don't see how it was racist. I got the impression it was a "your momma" joke, being that at a party she slept around loosely, which included a dog. Maybe, that's the racist part, comparing a race of people to animals, but I feel like that joke could be used in any context and doesn't really have that certain racist element.